News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Banff-like Vistas: here's Alta Badia
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
This 9-holer sits in the Italian Alps (Dolomite region, near Corvara) at an altitude of 1700 meters (5100 feet) and is playable from June to October only. There's no clubhouse, just a wooden shack, where you pay your greenfee. There are no tee-times and you can play as many holes as you like. Although I would think that 18 holes are plenty, considering the elevation changes.

I absolutely loved this course. Teeing up on the first, the mighty Sassongher lies before you:

The course is used as a ski and snowboarding piste in the winter, here you can see the cables of the platter lift crossing the second fairway. Unlike many mountain courses, Alta Badia has glorious width:

Hole #5 is all laid out in front of you. If the mountain to the left seems familiar, yes, it's part of the well-known Sella massif. From the Passo Pordoi you can take the famous cable car to the top plateau at 3000 meters (9000 feet):

Second shot to the green, after making it through the gap. Plenty of width again, although the ondulations, as always, flatten out a bit in the photographic process:

Hole #8 is Alta Badia's small scale version of the Devil's Cauldron. Light conditions didn't permit me to capture the spectacular Sella and Marmolada glacier backdrop. The right part of the green is blind and I'm sure it makes for some interesting pin positions in the club championship:

Standing on the 9th tee, a longish par 4, I wasn't sure where there was supposed to be a golf course. Turns out you have to hit your drive over the trees to the left of the footpath - or lay up straight with a fairway wood:

After finding the fairway, the 9th green is straight ahead, but not straight forward to attack:

To me Alta Badia is the embodiment of a mountain course. While I haven't seen Banff or some of the other usual suspects, this is as good as it gets in Europe.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Doug Ralston

Re: Banff-like Vistas: here's Alta Badia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
Who wouldn't want to be here? And to get to play golf too ........ wow!

Doug

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
Definitely a WoW course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan Chapman

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »
Holy moly that looks incredible.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »
Looks like fun. The views in that area are spectacular. The food... just as good as the views.

Did you get to Seefeld in Austria. Alta Badia looks like 100 times more fun.

I'd spoken with some guys just down the road at Seiser Alm; they had 50 hectares for 18 holes... After a walk through of the property the calves were burning pretty good. Didn't get the job, but look forward to seeing what they did. I provided some conceptual sketches of what I thought it could look like.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:52:51 AM by Tony Ristola »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:12:07 AM »
Ulrich, outstanding post and a hell of a find. I have some distant relatives that live up near the Dolomites. Some day I will make it to Italy. And slipping in for a quick 9 seems very plausible.  Is this place anywhere near the old Olympic site in Cortina?

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »
Those photos are simply spectacular!!!!!!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
Ulrich,
Were the mounds around the green necessary.
If they were gone would the green sites been better?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
Tony, I also wondered about those containment surrounds mounds...

I wonder if design of a mountain course may not be the architect's biggest challenge.  Links and Dunes courses are so naturally sited.  But, to fit a golf course on the severe ground and make it fit the eye and make golf sense, seems to me to be a daunting task.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
Ulrich:

What a beautiful spot for a golf course.  You didn't mention how long it has been there, or who was the architect, if known?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Quote from: Ryan Farrow
Is this place anywhere near the old Olympic site in Cortina?

I would estimate about an hour's drive or so.

Quote from: Tony Ristola
Did you get to Seefeld in Austria. Alta Badia looks like 100 times more fun.

Yes, I've been to Seefeld as well and if there is interest, I can throw up another post. The vistas and the fun factor are definitely superior at Alta Badia, but Seefeld is a Harradine 18-holer and thus more of a challenge. A little crazy from the back tees, I should think.

(But not as crazy as Gotthard Realp from any tee, boy, they built a course there without any land at all!)

I'd spoken with some guys just down the road at Seiser Alm; they had 50 hectares for 18 holes... After a walk through of the property the calves were burning pretty good. Didn't get the job, but look forward to seeing what they did. I provided some conceptual sketches of what I thought it could look like.

I didn't play GC Kastelruth (which is the name they chose), but had a look a few months ago. It didn't catch my imagination, I must say. Somewhat "americanized", which doesn't fit the land very much. I'll see if I have pictures.

Were the mounds around the green necessary.

Well, there were drop-offs or in one case a street, so I guess that was the reason. Even though I did say that this course has plenty of width for a mountain course, for regular standards it's still cramped in between a rock and a hard place, so to speak :)

Ulrich

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
Tom, the course is about ten years old and the architect supposedly a Scotsman named Michael Green. Do not ask me how they could get permission to build there, but I guess in Italy certain shortcuts are possible if you are in with the locals :)

Ulrich

Tony Ristola

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
Ulrich: Kastelruth was a hurdle after another... but that's a decade later.
Hmmm... now I have cravings for Pfifferlinge

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »
What an awesome setting for a course.  Thanks for sharing these pics.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back