News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: Bob Baldock?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »
He was, as I understand, a retired Military man. His entrance into Military bases was unequaled by any other golf designer. Most all of his designs are military. He was an accomplished graphic designer. His plans were lavish and had a certain flair. I have seen a few in my travels. I have not played any of his designs, but have been on several. They look "fine"...and that is about all I can say. Much like Wm. F. Bell, Baldock worked in the 1960s and 1970s when there was a pressing motive to finish the job, get out and getr on to the next assignment.

I am sorry to be so direct.
...you're sorry alright if I may re direct. :-*

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
In his day, people often referred to Baldock as "The Paul Cowley of the future..."    :-*
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
Great info guys, I have played many Baldock courses and always wondered about this designer. I always thought that his best work may have been in the hills above Auburn in Grass Valley at Alta Sierra CC. From the volume of courses he designed he must have been one hell of a salesman.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Druzisky

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »
I have a renovation client here in Boise with a Baldock course - Crane Creek CC.  The course was originally named Highlands CC because it is in the foothills above the city - across from JR Simplots house.  (I throw that in for all you GC Superintendents and McDonalds French fries fans).  The club didn't have much on the original effort other than a rough routing plan.

Not much to say about the original design other than it is sound.  Nothing of architectural significance can be found, but the course is liked by the membership well enough and the planned embellishments will add the detail and identity it generally lacks. The site did not give him much to work with though and I do not think the resources were available when it was built to grade or shape things to the level you would today.  Each nine runs up and down two valleys that meet at the bottom at the clubhouse.  The current back nine has the crane creek running down the middle and I have been able to use that to create interest where it was previously ignored.  If his original routing plan was actually built it was altered after a flood re-routed the creek on the back nine.  The plan routing was a little more interesting than what exists today.  We re-bunkered the course several years ago which added quite a bit of style and interest to the round.  More work per the master plan is on the horizon. 

Here are a couple photos since nobody else has posted any of his stuff.

Hole 12 prior to re-working.

Hole 12 after work.

Many, many spruce trees have been removed!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back