News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy_Glenn.

Tall Grasses for Warm Climates
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »
Hello all,

We are currently working on a project in south asia, and are looking at available grasses to use on the golf course.  Obviously, for tees, fairways, normal rough and greens, we would be looking at bermuda grass (TifEagle and Tifway 419, for example).  However, I'm at a loss for what to suggest for tall grass areas.

Basically, in out of play area, we want a slightly taller (perhaps 6-8 inches or so, certainly less than a foot), coarser type of grass that could frame tees, swing off mounds, etc...  Not something "wild" and natural looking (like tall fescues we'd use in cooler climates), but something that maintains a bit more of a garden or ground-cover look.  I've looked around, and came across species such as "Bahiagrass", "Buffalograss", the famous "Kikuyugrass", "Zoysiagrass" and "St.Augustinegrass".  That last one seemed the most interesting, if it can be grown tall enough.

But we're from Canada, eh.  We don't have grasses like that up here.    :-\

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Tall Grasses for Warm Climates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Jeremy,

I am sure Scotts or one of the turf companies that works internationally can answer your question on native type grasses better than almost anyone here.

Based on my little experience in south Asia (Indonesia near Singapore) I wouldn't necessarily assume you will use Bermuda for fine turf.  While we used bermuda for greens, we ended up using Zoysia Matrella for fw and rough.  Good surface and it uses less water.  Developing a water source isn't assured in many areas.  And, these days, depending on water quality, Paspalum might be an equally good choice. 

Lastly, down here in Texas, not always as warm as the equator, I have ended up often using the cheapest Bermuda common seed I can for long grass.  I do have some other mixtures, but I wouldn't trust those would work in Asia, or even be available.  The grass that seems to invade unirrigated areas over there is cowgrass, which is really St. Augustine - far too coarse to really use.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carter Hindes

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Jeremy,

I agree with Jeff in that unless these areas are totally out of play, you probably won't have any use for St. Augustine.  Here in Central Texas we have some really good coastal bermudagrass native areas and some common that grow up to about a foot through the season.  We only cut them about once a year and being un-irrigated this works really well.  We also have some Buffalograss native areas that are decent but not quite as thick and traffic tolerant as the Coastal or common.  I have never been to south Asia so I am not familiar with the weather but these types of grasses do well in a broad climate range especially since they are in areas that do not recieve heavy traffic.  Honestly, these areas are very low maintenance and they perform great for what we use them for.  Hope this can help.
Carter Hindes

Kevin Rich

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:41 AM »
Jeremy

I've used Bahiagrass in deep rough/out of play areas with some good success.  It's pretty drought tolerant, forms a less dense stand and is relatively course in texture.  Also, depending upon budget and size of the areas you're looking at...I've used tons of clump grasses (plugs) in some areas as well (i.e. spartina or eragrostis).  It's more expensive and they'd also be taller than the 6-8 inches you are looking for, but when used in a zoned planting system -- using the bahia or less irrigated common bermuda in some areas and the clump grasses in others -- it can provide some different textures and contrasts.

Jason Connor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »
Edit -- I was suggesting something too tall & too wild.
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back