News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Glynn

I figured I would start a Lahinch thread, now that Tim Bert's wonderful Pacific Dunes thread has run its course.

Lahinch Golf Course 1892:

Hole 1 Par 4
381 Blue
373 White

I think this is one of the best openers of any course I have played, and it is definitely one of the best 1st Tees in the world of golf. I have heard it said that MacKenzie was a fan of easing you into a round, and the first at Lahinch does this nicely. Even for a weaker player, a 4 or 5 is possible. Yet the stronger player can run up a 5/6 if he gets sloppy.

Tee Shot: The ideal line off the tee is actually over the left bunkers (especially with the prevailing wind off the left)

This is at 180 from the green, beside the bunkers on the left ~200 yards off the tee:

Where an idea tee shot finishes (yes I know its in the rough)

Where the player's eye is drawn off the tee, and where most people end up (Note deep bunkers on line with flag, and the steep fall off right)

Front Right (camera flattens out incline but this gives you some idea)

Most locals hit there 2nd shot up left, and this "grassy" bunker is a good place to leave it. I like how the banks and tightly mown & a putter is the best/only option.

From the hill on the left, you can preview the Klondyke and also get the pin position. A smart move!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:51:06 AM by Patrick Glynn »

mike_malone

But, Patrick, have you played it with sleet in your face on Christmas Eve ?
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

Since I haven't played Lahinch yet, my education is incomplete.  Thanks for the photos and this thread.

It's disappointing to see that even Lahinch has the "fairway" bunkers in the rough.  (See photo #3)  The courses where this isn't true can be counted on the fingers of one hand, I think.  What a pity.

Patrick Glynn

Michael - I got just the picture for you!

Bill - those bunkers are actually the exact opposite of what you are talking about. There is some light rough between the fairway and the bunkers, but the ball WILL roll into them so... But I see your point!

This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago from my bedroom window. You have no idea how much it rained that day! (note standing pool of water on a sand based links!!)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:52:20 AM by Patrick Glynn »

Steve Kline

Since I haven't played Lahinch yet, my education is incomplete.  Thanks for the photos and this thread.

It's disappointing to see that even Lahinch has the "fairway" bunkers in the rough.  (See photo #3)  The courses where this isn't true can be counted on the fingers of one hand, I think.  What a pity.

Since the ideal drive is the rough, shouldn't this be made fairway all around those bunkers, making those bunkers a center line hazard? It seems that would make the hole better although I have not played the course.

Tony_Muldoon

Thanks Patrick, looking forward to this unfold.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

Since the ideal drive is the rough, shouldn't this be made fairway all around those bunkers, making those bunkers a center line hazard? It seems that would make the hole better although I have not played the course.

At least far enough that the bunker is fronted by fairway grass instead of rough.  Here's what I'm talking about.   For extra credit, where are we?

Mike Bowline

Patrick, great photos of #1. I can't wait for more...

I played Lahinch in 1997 before the remodel and I am looking forward to seeing your photos of Lahinch after the remodel.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Schulte

At least far enough that the bunker is fronted by fairway grass instead of rough.  Here's what I'm talking about.   For extra credit, where are we?

[/quote]

Bill:

I believe that is Hoylake #10 in the member routing or #12 for the Open routing. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:16:31 AM by Matthew Schulte »

Matt_Cohn

Can we get a quick background on Lahinch please?

Paul_Daley

One of the fun things when making a few trips to the UK, especially if the daily menu consists of links golf, is gathering a treasure trove of tales from die-hard locals about the severity of wind. Like a badge of honour, local members will often delight in informing that their links is “the windiest in all UK.” One story about wind strength has stuck in my mind, and it relates to Lahinch. According to the member pouring Guinness down my gullet, the flagstick atop the 1st green once took leave of its senses, ripped the guts out of the hole, then blew all the way back down the steep hill and came to rest at the foot of the clubhouse—some 350 metres away. He seemed relatively sober at the time.

Ally Mcintosh

I thought this was a really good opening hole and I agree with you Patrick on the first tees being some of the best positioned in golf... a nice social gathering between the clubhouse and the pro shop... Also the place that my son saw me hit my first ever golf shot...

Jason Topp

An ideal opening hole.  When I played it over a couple of days (2004) the wind was in your face quartering left to right which I believe is the prevailing wind. 

I don't remember those hollows to the left of the green.  Are they appropriate for a links course?  They look like artificial hollows one would find on a new American course.

Lahich is how I got introduced to this site.  I was searching the internet for information about the course and stumbled on Ran's profile.  It is one of my favorite courses I have played.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:13:10 AM by Jason Topp »

Bill_McBride

An ideal opening hole.  When I played it over a couple of days (2004) the wind was in your face quartering left to right which I believe is the prevailing wind. 

I don't remember those hollows to the left of the green.  Are they appropriate for a links course?  They look like artificial hollows one would find on a new American course.

Lahich is how I got introduced to this site.  I was searching the internet for information about the course and stumbled on Ran's profile.  It is one of my favorite courses I have played.

Jason, remember the grassy hollow, tightly mown, to the left center of the fifth green at Dornoch?  I do, I was in it two of three rounds last month - not a hard putt for an up and down par.  I think those kind of features once in a while, if properly maintained and not repetitive, are great on links courses.

Ari Techner

This is one of my favorite golf courses and a great opening hole.  IMO the challenge is more in the shot into the green than the tee shot.  Miss right and you will have a very hard time finding your par.  Miss left you have a chance but if you hit it too far you can really bring big numbers into play. 

Chip Gaskins

Patrick-

Thanks for doing this....you could not have picked a better course.  The views on a few holes are some of the best in the world.  The second shot on #6 especially.

If I remember the first two holes are a bit pedestrian, basically up the hill and down the hill and then it gets really fun from there in.

I remember sitting in the car park for an hour with the rain so hard you couldn't see out the windshield and then the sun came out and we had a great round.  You have to love that Ireland weather.

Lahinch is one the best...I would love to hear people talk about the changes over the years as we go through the holes...what architect did what, etc.

Chip

Patrick Glynn

Hole 2 Par 5

534 Blue
523 White

This is just a great Par 5 in my view, and a factor that I think makes Lahinch stand out amongst the top Irish links. Many circa 1900 links have quite short, tame Par 5s that add nothing to the experience. Lahinch has the best set I have played, trouncing the venerable Royal County Down. The mix of this, the Klondyke, and the 12th is nothing short of world class in my biased opinion!

The line off the tee is at the bunkers on the right and to try and turn it over. This is a great fairway as there is a good slope from right to left, and also affords a turbo boost if you can carry it approx 220 yards.

A better look at the tee shot: (prize for picking out my house)

From Beside the bunkers on the left, ~220 off the tee & 300 to the green:

Just short of the fairway bunkers on the right. The raised lips impede your view to the green, and making commitment to the shot all important. Note how balls will trickle into them - narrowing the mowing lines would make this hole play a lot easier!

The site of an ideal lay up, taking the bunkers out of play and leaving around 100 yards in. This hole gives me fits, because after a good drive I am generally left with 250 in. I cant quite reach, yet I still cant bring myself to hit 8 iron down and then a flip wedge on. Time and time again, I try to hit 3 wood onto the front, and invaribably end up in one of the bunkers lurking left and right, or leave myself with an awkward pitch to a great/crazy green.

This is a view from inside the 2nd bunker short of the green. Note there is a good 20 yards of fairway before one gets to the green. It definitely plays tricks with your perception of the hole, and if you end up in one - a par is a good score.

This is one of the hardest greens to get an approach shot close. I tried to give you an idea of the slopes/contours in these 2 pictures. IMHO this is an example of Hawtree's best work on the course (the previous green had been flattened some 50 years previously and was very out of character with any of MacKenzies work I have seen before/since)

+

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:55:53 AM by Patrick Glynn »

Brad Fleischer

This topic has got me gearing to go.... I will be there the 17 and 18th !!!!  I can't wait!!!

Ari Techner

Patrick,

Do I win the prize if I can pick out your house?

Lahinch definitely has a great set of par 5s.  2 is a great hole, the Klondyke is timeless and 12 is world class. 

Dan Herrmann

The Irish side of my family is from County Claire.  I wonder if they'll adopt their long, lost American cousin

Patrick Glynn

Hole 3 Par 4

446 Blue
418 White

This is a great example of a hole that would not be designed today, yet one whose blindness makes perfect sense. You drive up a steep hill to a plateau fairway, and then the 2nd shot veers left. IMHO its one of Lahinch's great strength that we have quality par 4s that will test even a Tour Pro. The incline off the tee shot makes it play considerably longer than the card, and I frequently go in with 3 - 5 iron to this green.

Tee Shot: More fairway left than you think (The knob on the right is probably the ideal line for the strong player)

+

For some reason I do not have a shot of the fairway, but this is taken from the knob left, around 225 off the tee & 220 to the green.

And this is from the ideal tee shot, just on the edge of the fairway on the left (160 out)

The green site is fantastic in my view, and I like how there is 40 yards of fairway short of the green that allows 2nd to be run up.

From the front right bunker with Liscannor in the background, and the Klondyke tees too.

John Kirk

Fabulous.  Keep them coming, Patrick.  Beautiful golf holes.

Sean Leary

I have played most of the greats in Ireland, and Lahinch is my favorite..

Love the changes by Hawtree as well.

Ari Techner

This is one of my favorite holes on the course.  It lets you know a little more about what is coming with the blind tee shot and the hole amongst the dunes.  I like the tee shot because even though it is blind the shape of the top of the dunes give you a nice framed area to aim at.  I love the shot into the green and the contours of the greens surrounds especially behind the green.  I also love that you get to play The Klondyke and The Dell right after! 

Bart Bradley

Patrick:

I liked the first two holes.  But, on arriving at the tee shot on number 3, I looked over at my son and said "we are in for something truly special".  This is where the course starts to really sing.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back