News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Portstewart vs Castlerock
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
If you could only play one of these courses, which would it be and why?

I'm familiar with some of the basics--Portstewart has massive dunes, especially on the front nine; Castlerock is more flattish.  And I've read about Huckaby's cousin.

I'm guessing Portstewart will be the consensus pick.  Does anyone have a dissenting view?  Does your opinion change if you're analyzing it solely from an architectural perspective? 

Tom Huckaby

Re: Portstewart vs Castlerock
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
Of course I'd choose Castelrock, but you indicate you know why.   ;)

As for the two courses though, outside of one being my cousin's home club, well... I'd put it this way:  Portstewart's front nine is FANTASTIC, it's back nine more plain.  Castlerock has nothing to approach the greatness of Portstewart's front, but it's entirety is on the whole better than Portstewart's back.

BTW I have no clue how to analyze courses purely from an architectural perspective; mine is as a player playing the game.

TH

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »
BTW I have no clue how to analyze courses purely from an architectural perspective; mine is as a player playing the game.

Tom,

I agree that, when evaluating a course, you need to look at it as a whole.  But, aren't there courses you suspect to be not well-designed, but you enjoy anyway because of the setting, because you tend to play well there, etc.  Conversely, aren't there courses you view as well-designed but, for one reason or another, you don't love the golf experience there?  I know there are for me and that's the distinction I was trying to make. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:29:40 PM by Tim Pitner »

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »

Portstewart has some otherwordly views and holes ...Castlerock is solid with lots of quality ......both are fine golf courses....as an infrequent visiotr to the Emerald Isles  ....I with  Huck in that some of teh holes on the front nine are so good that it pushes Portstewart forward.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the loopers at PS , I carried my own at Castlerock, which was fine...

I'd say that the quirkiness, more overt architecture of Portstewart won me over, .

Les Cordes

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
geez....portstewart is much better than castlerock.....no comparison...what am i missing here....??

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
We stayed in Huck's cousin's B&B last fall after the Walker Cup - unfortunately it was in the process of becoming just a "B" at the time as they weren't serving any food.  We made do with takeout from the grocery store down the street.

Unless this gets reversed - and my feeling is it won't - better to stay in Portrush most likely.  There are apparently several okay restaurants over there including the Wine Bar.

The best food we found in the area was the Water Garden, upscale Chinese/Asian fusion in Coleraine, which is the no-golf entrepot for the area.  It was so good we went there twice, once to the Wine Bar.

I can't answer the Castlerock vs Portstewart question because we didn't play Portstewart.  Castlerock was mighty good with a couple of exceptions.  The holes like #7 and #8 that went up into the dunes with benched in greens and angled tee shots were excellent holes.  #4 Pork Chop (200 yd par 3 to a green shaped like a pork chop jammed in between a burn and the OB fence) was a very good hole.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:16:34 PM by Bill_McBride »

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
I have played both and would lean towards Portstewart for sure. The opening hole at Portstewart is one of the best openers in links golf.  Castlerock is well worth playing also.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

Tom,

I agree that, when evaluating a course, you need to look at it as a whole.  But, aren't there courses you suspect to be not well-designed, but you enjoy anyway because of the setting, because you tend to play well there, etc.  Conversely, aren't there courses you view as well-designed but, for one reason or another, you don't love the golf experience there?  I know there are for me and that's the distinction I was trying to make. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

None of those distinctions change my take - I look at courses as a player.  To try to evaluate architecture would be hubristic.  I am not an architect nor do I know what challenges the architects faced when designing the courses.

It's just a pain in the ass point I've tried to make countless times in here and no one ever buys.  Pay me no heed.

TH
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:50:37 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
I have to say that from it's highest point the views at Castlerock were as good as any I saw in Ireland. . .  While it's certainly quirky at points, I had a great time at Castlerock in my visit two summers ago.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
I have to say that from it's highest point the views at Castlerock were as good as any I saw in Ireland. . .  While it's certainly quirky at points, I had a great time at Castlerock in my visit two summers ago.

Mark:

I've yet to talk to anyone who regrets playing Castlerock.  That being said, on the whole I'd still have to say Portstewart is the superior golf course.  But you nailed it re my cousin's home club... particularly on that "extra" nine (I forget what it's called) there are some pretty darn cool views to be seen.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »
4 Pork Chop (200 yd par 3 to a green shaped like a pork chop jammed in between a burn and the OB fence) was a very good hole.

Pork Chop, Leg o' Mutton . . . whatever. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
4 Pork Chop (200 yd par 3 to a green shaped like a pork chop jammed in between a burn and the OB fence) was a very good hole.

Pork Chop, Leg o' Mutton . . . whatever. 

keep in mind that was off the top of my head!  ;D  It actually looks more like a chop in aerial view but mutton I guess....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:46 AM »
I've always wanted to know the answer to this one as well... Interestingly, Castlerock is consistently rated very slightly higher than Portstewart in the Golf World / Top 100 Golf Courses rankings...

Either way, I'm in the middle of plotting  a quick Portrush / Portstewart / Castlerock weekend sometime so hopefully I'll get to see for myself...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
Ally - do report when you return.  Castlerock has always been the red-headed stepchild of that group, but well... who knows....

Also, make sure and ask for/about my cousin, John French - former Castlerock Cup holder. Great guy.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back