News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Paul_Daley

Re: Only One Course For Life
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »
Royal Melbourne (West) in a playoff over Royal Country Down, edging out Royal Dornoch. Although hardly in the same league as a layout, RD provides visitors with a stirring atmosphere, what with ghosts of Donald Ross and John Sutherland all around. 

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
RMW, CPC or TOC fight it out for me
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Don Hyslop

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 07:42:37 AM »
Being someone who has played only about 25 different courses in my lifetime so far, Highland Links, the Stanley Thompson masterpiece, which I have had the good fortune so far of playing twice is the one that I would choose over the other 24 every day of the year.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
If the climate of the course locale is taken into considertaion...then Cypress Point
If not,  a toss up between Merion and Royal Birkdale.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:50 PM »
Cypress Point. 

If weather isn't a consideration, maybe NGLA. 

I don't think you could ever become bored with either of these.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »
MPCC Composite.

Start at No. 10 on the Dunes, then play 11,12,13,14,15 .....then go to No.7 on the Shore and play 8 through16 and finish playing Nos 5 and 6.

Shuttles provided.

Bob

Jed Peters

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »
I'd have to say CPC.

But of the ones I've played, I think MPCC Shore, weather, layout, conditioning, club, etc. all included into the consideration.

Oh, and I think Bob hit the nail on the head with that one!

BVince

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
First, I need to define what I like in a course:

1.  Great architectural merit
2.  Superb conditioning
3.  Fast pace of play/Private
4.  Ability to show up at the first tee box and find a game
5.  Impressive to bring guest
6.  Since of history

CPC and Kinloch are two of my favorite golf layouts and I would never grow tired of playing them but I think I would choose a course that gets slightly more play.  I think SFGC is my first choice followed by a course like Winged Foot West.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
MPCC Composite.

Start at No. 10 on the Dunes, then play 11,12,13,14,15 .....then go to No.7 on the Shore and play 8 through16 and finish playing Nos 5 and 6.

Shuttles provided.

Bob
I didn't get a chance to see the Dunes course,  but from pictures this seems like a great idea.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »
I agree that a course that has all weather times of the year in their seasonal glory, even a few winter rounds in dicey conditions of winter unmaintained and dormant turf is neat.  Such a course with fall beauty is wonderful. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »
I don't think I have played the course I would settle on for the rest of my life.  

It needs to be near a good size city that I like or at least a city I really enjoy.    

Its needs to be open year round.

It needs to be private - no UK type jobs with loads of touristas hangin about.

Good scenery helps.  

Oh yeah, it needs to be a good course that is a pleasant walk.  The club has to be the sort of place you don't mind hanging around.

Name that tune!  The closest I think I come up with is Swinley or maybe Huntercombe, but these are not quite right for the rest of my life.  One has to be picky you know.  To be honest, I think the course I am thinking of is in the States.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Steve Lapper

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
Royal Melbourne

West or Composite
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ash Towe

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »
RMW or CPC
But the MPCC option is the best if Bob was your playing companion.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:22 AM »
Royal Melbourne West,

It plays difeently every single day

:)

Jay Carstens

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:59 AM »
A couple I liked were Riviera and Inverness.  I could do either everyday and be very happy.
Play the course as you find it

jkinney

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
EGADS, YOU DOLTS,  HOW COULD YOU EXCLUDE NGLA ?

Or even mo' better, how about 1 through 9 at The National, then 3 through 2 at Shinny, then 10
through 18 at The National for a 36 hole blue plate special.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »

I'll gladly jump on the Cypress Point bandwagon. If Sand Hills was in a place that was year round it would be a tough call.

Outside America, it would be Royal Melbourne West.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »
Bandon Dunes

I have to say, if you include the whole experience, clubhouse, etc., I'm surprised that nobody here has mentioned AN?? I'm certain some of you have played there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »
Bandon Dunes

I have to say, if you include the whole experience, clubhouse, etc., I'm surprised that nobody here has mentioned AN?? I'm certain some of you have played there.

Which course though Mike, you only get one?   ;D

If the rules say I get to play any of the 3, soon to be 4, and the par 3, and the course that doesn't officially exist...I think I would go with Bandon Dunes Resort myself!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
Kalen,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bandon Dunes is the name of a single golf course.
So what was your objection now?
 :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
Kalen,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bandon Dunes is the name of a single golf course.
So what was your objection now?
 :D

Its also the name of the Resort.....

Perhaps I had a bit of GCA bias though because BD is often considered the "leastest" of the courses at the resort.  So I assumed, perhaps wrongly so that he was referring to the resort as a whole, which in this case don't count!

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Kalen and Garland, you are both correct.

I was trying sneak one in there, because I still dream of that place, though I've only spent four days there, but honestly, I would choose Bandon Dunes. I LOVED PacDunes, and Trails, but they were like the chocolate chips in a tollhouse. For the rest of my life, I need more cookie, which for me is Bandon Dunes.  Something about it that I have a hard time explaining (partially becuase I'm only now learning this vocabulary) makes me think I would be happy if it was the only course I ever played.

Le Bernardin in New York is my favorite restaurant, but I couldn't eat there every night. To me, PacDunes is like that - too rich for my senses to take in every day.

If I could count the whole place though, it isn't even close. I've played quite a few (but not the greatest) resort collections, Kiawah, Kohler, Boyne, Treetops, Kapalua, and Bandon Dunes as a resort finishes three to four lengths ahead. Add in the Sheep Ranch and what little I could see of EIEIO, and it is my definition of golf heaven.  I look forward to having an experience that can top it, though I'm not sure I am that lucky. 

Chuck Brown

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »
EGADS, YOU DOLTS,  HOW COULD YOU EXCLUDE NGLA ?
BECAUSE, PATRICK, I HAVEN'T HAD THAT RARE PRIVILEGE!  YET!  BUT I HAVE AN OPEN MIND! :D
I'M CHECKING MY SCHEDULE RIGHT NOW... ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for being the peacemaker here!!  ;)

I tell you, the first time I meet that Garland rabble-rouser, i'm going to let him have it, "Pow, right in the kisser"   ;D  8)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for being the peacemaker here!!  ;)

I tell you, the first time I meet that Garland rabble-rouser, i'm going to let him have it, "Pow, right in the kisser"   ;D  8)

Kalen,

I understand you are a little small to try such silly things as that.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back