News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Kalen Braley

Re: Only One Course For Life
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for being the peacemaker here!!  ;)

I tell you, the first time I meet that Garland rabble-rouser, i'm going to let him have it, "Pow, right in the kisser"   ;D  8)

Kalen,

I understand you are a little small to try such silly things as that.
 ;D

Lol...

Anyone who has ever met me would not use "small" as an adjective to describe me. Although I am working on getting a little smaller these days.  8)

Paul Jones

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Augusta National. 

When I was a kid my dream was to play TOC, Pebble and Augusta.  I have already played TOC and Pebble, so that only leaves Augusta.  Shinnecock is a close 2nd since I have not played there either,  but could only pick one.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:05:08 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
Maidstone
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bruce Leland

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
I think Huntley and Mayhugh are on the right track.  I could play MPCC forever.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

John Moore II

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »
Of the courses I have played, I would probably go with Pine Needles (I think I said Tobacco Road one time on here). That course can play really fun from the up tees, and plainly hard from the back. And its just a great collection of holes, none I would consider great alone, but none I would consider weak as part of the group either.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
EGADS, YOU DOLTS,  HOW COULD YOU EXCLUDE NGLA ?

Truer words were never spoken.  How many snow days does National get per winter, anyway?  I bet it's basically playable all year.  It might be cold, but that's half the fun...

Especially if they throw in that lobster bisque!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »
If it had to be in my home country, I would choose Royal Melbourne (West).

Whenever I'm asked this question in regards to the entire world, I always have trouble going past North Berwick (West). I love the course, the people & the place so much.

If I was confined to America, it would NGLA.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »
I do think this is one of the more interesting threads we have debated in recent months. We should return to the original question...Only One Course for Life.

When I lived in Rhodesia there was no doubt we could play 365 days a year in perfectly good weather. There were exceptions during the rainy season when thunder, lightning and torrential rains could wipe out a round. However, you would be back the next day to play.

When I picked MPCC as my choice, it reminded me that I am blessed that I can indeed play 365 days a year if I choose to play in a few days of inclement weather conditions. How many other places in the US can we say the same?

I am sure that Patrick can claim NGLA as the Holy Grail but surely,  sometimes it is just to miserable to tee it up.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:11 AM »
Oops," too miserable".....

John Moore II

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 12:14:48 AM »
Bob--your reasoning for MPCC is part of mine for Needles. I could play there virtually every day. Yes, it gets nippy cold here every so often, and there might be 5 or 6 days of the year where its too cold to play, but I think 360 golf days in a year is acceptable.

Pat Burke

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 02:55:45 AM »
Kingston Heath
Great Greens
variety of shots
Good beer
great people
Aus  here I come!

Paul_Daley

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 03:59:43 AM »
Kalen: off topic, but what the heck. Your crystal clear image of Jackie Gleeson, Art Carney and Audrey Meadows (Honeymooners) was much appreciated. Each to their own, but for mine, it has to be the funniest television show ever produced  :D  The on-screen chemistry --- without audience laugh cue-cards --- was genuine and unrehearsed. Audrey Meadows once related in a documentary: "Laughs ... we got a few, but we earned them the old-fashioned way—we earned them!" And what about improvisation skills: the Honeymooners crew leaves the current crop of so-called comedians for dead. Once, Ralph Cramden (Jackie G) entered the set with his fly down, noticed it was a little "breezy" down south; grinned his head off; improvised the dialogue to suit the occasion; wandered off to a corner (ad-libbing all the way) to zip himself up; turned back, and smirked his way through the rest of the show. It was priceless. A DVD will exist, the Best of The Honeymooners, and it’s worth grabbing.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 07:18:01 AM »
Such a course would require you to think--on every single shot on every hole and under all conditions--but yet be playable and enjoyable for idiots too, as even the best of us are idiots some (most?) of the time when we play golf.  It must be playable all year round, and it must have sand-based turf.  The powers that be must see themselves as stewards rather than owners.   This reduces the field to about 10-15 courses in the world (none of which are in the USA, IMO) and which one you choose is just a matter of personal perference and experience.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 07:22:39 AM »

Does Barnbougle Dunes rate a mention in this discussion?
The more I daydream about this topic during my work days,
the more I find myself thinking it could just be a course for life.

Wonderful holes. Playable at an old age.
Great thrills from the tee, and into greens. Challenging and exciting putting.
Wonderful feel and ambience, and humble yet eminently adequate conditioning,
on the coast and allows 365 days of play each year, albeit some rounds will be in near cyclonic conditions.

I'll concede that Bridport Tasmania isn't as magnetic as St Andrews or the Monterey Peninsula...

Matthew
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:41:39 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jack_Marr

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »
Of the ones I've played, probably Lahinch.
John Marr(inan)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:11 AM »
When I started this thread, I wasn't focused on climate, in part because I doubt I'll ever move out of the DC area.  But taking climate into account, and because being able to play 365 days a year (or close) is better than not, I'll have to revise my pick and, out of the courses I've played, take Olympic.  I'm certain there are others that I'd prefer (Cypress, MPCC, etc.) but I haven't played them. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »
Maybe Woking...

PThomas

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
CPC
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Paul_Daley

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Matty M: I find myself drifting off in the BarnyB direction, too, especially when tapping away on the computer with “golfy” stuff. And it’s almost like the worse the weather; the more you enjoy the links. Certainly Bridport isn’t the places you mention, but it does posses a peaceful, sleepy seaside charm, along with Australia’s finest fish & chip shop. It also houses something the other courses don't have: one YOUNG TURK (Greg Ramsay) on its doorstep. As the mastermind of Barnbougle Dunes, who first held it as a kernel of an idea in his mind at a ridiculously tender age, the magnitude of what he did (and attempted), will, I promise, only grow in the years to come. In thirty years, the golf world will collectively shake its head and reflect: there’s no way that twenty-something year old could have dreamt this up. It must have been a misprint.

Andy Hodson

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Y'all go play half the year in the cold (NGLA or anywhere across the pond) or in the rain (Monterrey Peninsula or Bandon).  I'll take...

The Plantation Course in Maui. :D

Yep, that'd work for me for everyday or so for the rest of my life!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 02:07:18 PM »
Y'all go play half the year in the cold (NGLA or anywhere across the pond) or in the rain (Monterrey Peninsula or Bandon).  I'll take...

The Plantation Course in Maui. :D

Yep, that'd work for me for everyday or so for the rest of my life!

Andy, 

Pebble Beach averages under twenty inches a year and the seven months between April and October it may reach three inches. Kapalua averages over forty three inches a year but I guess warm water is better than cold.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »
If you're going to factor in the climate, then I'd winter at Seminole and summer at NGLA  ;D

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
The key factor to look at is how the golf course in question plays day in and day out. The ideal is one which varies.

National takes the cake. As do I am sure a ton of courses in the UK but I can't speak for those as I haven't been over there yet.

National can play like a totally different golf course day in and day out for many reasons.

My other thought is Garden City or Newport Country Club.

Sean_A

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2008, 03:44:59 AM »
Maybe Woking...

Ally

Woking isn't a bad shout.  Still, I can't help wondering if it will really keep my interest for two games a week for the next 40 years.  This is a very tough call to make and I can't think of one course I have played that does it for me.  The closest I can come up with is Sandwich, but its a bit far from London - though Sandwich itself is a very pleasant place.  Makes me wonder about Rye....

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Paul Nash

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2008, 05:09:26 AM »
I would be very happy to stay a member of Bearwood Lakes for the rest of my life - combination of a superb, very scenic and well-conditioned course, lovely clubhouse with great course views over the course, a sensible policy re different groups (seniors, women, general roll ups etc) and being able to book your own tee times, decent food and friendly service by staff to members and visitors, very friendly members and an active inter-club-match schedule. Also, you can get food until 9 in the evening - some nice clubs in the area are not even open at that time - my shoes were locked in at Huntercombe and we were warned to keep them in the car at Worplesdon as it might be shut when we were finished - it was! I really like several other courses in the vicinity (mainly the heathland tracks) like Hankley, West Hill, New Zealand, Swinley and The Berkshire -  the latter is nearby and has 36 holes but I can't imagine that being a member would be as pleasant an experience as Bearwood - as several people have mentioned it having quite an elitist and unfriendly attitude towards visitors. As much as I love links courses, although my experience is a bit limited, I can't imagine playing one links all year round - although having, say, Saunton Sands as a country membership - 36 holes for circa £300-£400 year would be a great option.

I have got very limited experience outside of the UK but from what I have seen, several of the Melbourne courses look like great options - Tobacco Road looks fantastic, and I would love to play Pine Valley. I also thought that Praia D'El Rey in Portugal would be a great compromise between stunning coastal and nicely designed inland holes - although several friends are raving about Monte Rei on the Algarve and it is on my must play list.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back