News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Richard Hetzel

The Gailes Course - Lakewood Shores - PICS
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
I played the Gailes course three times this past week. My initial thoughts were that this course was crap. Of course, I played it after playing Forest Dunes, so that may have been my problem in a nutshell. It got better each time I played it, especially with wind. Very fun. Not manicured at all, and almost in poor condition in some areas of the course. I was expecting a lot more from a golf course ranked #54 on the Golf Digest Top 100 list. Not in terms of condition, but in terms of wow factor.

It plays next to a road for the first 5 holes. It also has a set of railroad tracks running through it, but they do not affect play like they do at Shennecossett in Connecticut. They are in between holes number 15 and 16.

It didn't help that they suffer from some VERY SLOOOOOOOOOW play here at Lakewood Shores, so much so that a return trip will never happen. Customer service is very poor here as well, but I digress.

This course is fun, but not anything like a true links course. The fairways were quite undulated and the greens a little less so. There were 2 double greens here, one that sported a huge stacked sod bunker.

One of the coolest items was the round, brick pump house on hole #18. Nice touch.

The Gailes is worth playing if nearby, but with all the great courses in Michigan, I dont think I'll be making a return trip to Lakewood Shores.

PS: Gailes "does not" look as good in person as it does in my pics....trust me....

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:18:37 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chuck Brown

Re: The Gailes Course - Lakewood Shores - PICS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
These are some exceptionally good, and reasonably flattering, pictures of The Gailes.  They owe you!
I hope these pictures change the minds of anyone who might have crossed The Gailes off their list of must-play courses in Michigan without having given it a go...

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
Chuck,

I am sure you will agree, that the Gailes is VERY VERY "photogenic"!
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »
Rich,

I understand your criticism of pace of play, overall conditioning, and spotty customer service but as you alluded to later in your comments, The Gailes - and Lakewood Shores Resort more specifically - is one of the best "Bang for the Buck" resorts in North America.  Throw in a visit to Red Hawk and you have arguably the best value in a golf weekend getaway in America.  Sure, Forest Dunes will always win in conditioning but when the wind is up, The Gailes is as close to "links" golf as it gets this side of the Atlantic.  I'd love to hear more about why you thought it got "better" the more you played it.  Because if you're in Eastern Michigan The Gailes, Blackshire, and Red Hawk are must plays.

Andrew

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »
Andrew,

My friends and I  chose to play Forest Dunes, Gailes, Blackshire, Serradella and Red Hawk this past week. Great trip and great prices. I agree, good bang for the buck. However, I would spend more money for better pace of play and other ammenities. The price for this trip really wasn't an issue, the closeness of the courses to Lakewood Shores (FD and Red Hawk) was.

Since this is a GCA forum, I won't go into customer service inadequacies with Lakewood Shores. There are MANY. The last I checked, they were not letting me play for free, but many of the people working here treated you this way.

Pace of play was a concern here. 6+ hours on Saturday, this is completely unacceptable.

I probably would have scheduled Forest Dunes last if I was to schedule this trip again, it was that nice.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:20:46 PM by Rich Hetzel »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
I agree Rich...fun, but not all that great.  there are some good holes, but there are a couple head scratchers.  But it did have a heck of a heyday for a while!

Mike Boehm

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
I played Lakewood Shores Gailes for the first time last summer.  I would rate it as clearly my least favorite amongst the ~20 Top 100 public courses I've played.  I liked the look of a number of holes, but after reading so much about it being a "true links experience" I was disappointed in extraordinarily soft conditions despite a dry summer.  Shaggy conditions do not bother me, but it played like a parkland course.  That said, the course is certainly difficult and a solid value, but how it could be rated ahead of places like Caledonia, True Blue and even Eagle Eye, does not make much sense to me.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »
Well, I'll be the contrarian. I've been playing the Gailes since it opened, and I much prefer it to Forest Dunes, which I've played twice. I love the rampant uneven undulation, the whimsicality, the half-par holes, and the greens. While it's not a true links experience, it's loads of fun. My scores have varied more on this course than on any course I've played regularly.

I walked it this past Thursday at twilight and paid $15. And my threesome didn't wait on a shot.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »
Michigan, the Mecca of the public golf fan!

I love how many totally conflicting opinions I have had of highly ranked courses there. Gailes I have gotten both ''great fun' and I'll never go to GB if it's like this'. Red Hawk I have gotten 'mediocre Art Hills' and 'Stunning layout through a rich forest, very thoughtful'. Best of all; Timberstone I have gotten 'shallow drivel' and 'most fun course in Michigan, including Arcadia'.

I want five days for my dream trip from Cincy. 1. Wild Rock [WI] 2. Timberstone 3. Greywalls 4. Black Lake 5. Tullymore and a long drive home. Whatcha think?

Doug

PS: HAVE played Red Hawk and Eagle Eye. Both wonderful IMHO.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
Doug,

I live in Cincinnati as well.

I was unimpressed by Black lake, although it is quite beautiful:

Here are pics of it:

http://www.hetzelfamily.org/golf/blacklake

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back