News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Joe Bausch

My trip around Deerfield (Newark, DE, w/ pics)
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I've heard the chatter about the William Gordon designed Deerfield in Delaware for years now and finally got around to experiencing it.  Here is the good previous thread to update the newbies here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28610.0.html

I arrived on a Monday afternoon that was scorching hot after a pretty good rain the night before.  It would likely have played much differently just the day before, but even with greens pretty soft, it was a blast.  In another life after I've removed hundreds of trees from Cobb's Creek, I'll immediately head over the D'field.  ;)

It plays at just over 6300 yards from the tips, and it is on a quite hilly piece of property.  I'm not sure there is a flat hole on it, with some elevation changes quite dramatic.  The green complexes are probably the strongest feature of the course. 

Ok, let's get it on.

Here is the routing:

#1:  opening par 5 with a very downhill approach to the green.  This hole is probably easily reachable in two with a nice little draw down the hill.  Or you can play the hole like I did:  block a drive into the trees right off the tee, thread a little 3 iron under the trees, then hit a 6 iron in to kick-in distance for bird.  ;)

#2:  The beginning of a nice set of par 3's, this one playing about 180.  Yes, those blowers are not uncommon sites at D'field.

#3:  here an uphill drive leaves a short iron into the green.

#4:  this is a very scenic par 4, this view from about 200 yards out, with the green elevated:

#5:  another in this nice stretch of par 4's is a down-then-up of about 400 yards, with trees left and trees and a creek right:

#6:  coming back in the other direction, this dogleg left par 4 appears like the fairway is just too slopey to hit, but it isn't as severe as this first pic shows.  The green is elevated with bunkers left and right.

#7:  the last of the 4 nice par 4's in a row, this shortish dogleg right plays just 350.  The fairway bunker left here is not visible from the tee (me as an amateur wannabe architect wonders if that would be better flashed up a bit to make it visible on the drive).

#8:  a rather long (225 yards) par 3 awaits, uphill to boot.  Thankfully the green is bunkered both left and right but these are not in view from the tee:

#9:  The No1 handicap hole is the par 4 9th, a continually bending dogleg right par 4 that climbs uphill to the green that is well bunkered (plays about 420 yards):

#10:  the back nine begins with a gigantic elevation change on a par 5, doglegging left.

#11:  the crew was punching and rolling this green, a par 3 of about 160 yards:

#12:  an uphill drive (here again is a bunker left off the tee not visible) on this shortish dogleg right par 4 leaves a short iron and into a nicely bunkered green:

#13:  short dogleg right par 4 with a short iron downhill 2nd shot.  The first pic being from the beginning of the dogleg with bunkers that see some action:

#14:  this is the No2 handicap hole, a 90° dogleg left with a demanding tee shot to a fairway sloping heavily to the right which the first photo from the tee doesn't really show, but the 2nd looking back to the dogleg does:

#15:  a short downhill par 4, where the drive is likely tough to keep on the slopey fairway when firm, leaving a short iron in:

#16:  probably my favorite par 3 at D'field, it plays about 170 yards, moderately uphill (I wish I had better photos of it).

#17:  the view from the tee isn't real great, with a driving range fence to the left dominating the view, but once in the fairway, it is outstanding.  It is 406 yard par 4 moving gently to the right and downhill for the last 200 yards or so to perhaps the biggest green on the course that allows a variety of shots to be played in:

#18:  an uphill gentle dogleg right par 4 ends the round.

If you're in the Newark area and are looking for a fine public facility, D'field should be considered!

Stay tuned for a thread with pics on Jack Frost National in the Poconos.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:46:11 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

Re: My trip around Deerfield (Newark, DE, w/ pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Great pictures!  Thanks for the tour...

Joe - I think I see some themes I've seen at Rolling Green here.  What do you think?

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
fun course.  Mike Malone also compared Deerfield to Rolling Green.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!  One of my former home courses at Dupont CC, it was
easily my favorite of the 4.

#4, #8, and #9 were among the hardest holes in all of Delaware, according to a local rag back
in the early 90's.  #14 might have also been on the list.

The continual cartpaths are new since then.

In the fall of '92, I tried to hit a very hard 9-iron up the hill from near the bottom here...I hit it
so fat that I pulled a bone chip off my right wrist.  Couldn't play until Jan of '93.  The bone chip
is still there today, and slightly restricts certain movement:

That pond wasn't there back then, either (looks like it needs some 'flow' to it for fresh oxygen):

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »
Great pictures!  Thanks for the tour...

Joe - I think I see some themes I've seen at Rolling Green here.  What do you think?

Dan (and M2), D'field does have the look and feel of RG in places.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
Joe-

Thanks for the photos.  I thought the same thing as others while looking at the pics, their is definitily some Rolling Green in those photos and in general, this is probably the most Flynn looking Gordon course I've seen.  We know Gordon worked for Flynn so that shouldn't be too suprising.

I look forward to getting down there and playing the course, and agree it appears that tree clearing could do a ton for this course.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »
Fans next to greens are always a good sign....NOT!

The course looks like to needs to meet Mr. Poulan!
Can you say cut down some trees?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »
Flynn Light!!! ;D

A fun course to play when fast and firm.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Fans next to greens are always a good sign....NOT!

The course looks like to needs to meet Mr. Poulan!
Can you say cut down some trees?

Rob, I could not agree with you more.  You would need Mr. Poulan and a large number of tree cutting crews.  I talked to the supe and many that need to go are so big they just can't fell the tree w/o risking serious damage to the surrounding areas.  So now you are talking big bucks.

Higher resolution photos (~100 of them) showing more of the course (and the trees!) are here:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Deerfield/index.html

Ray Cross

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
Nice picture work, Joe...as well as the narritive.

Funny, my first impression was "it looks like Overbrook"...particularly the par 4's that dogleg left or right with the fairways sloping in the oposite direction.

waiting for the next one!

Ray

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back