News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Bedford Springs or Nemacolin
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
Well I have narrowed down my fall weekend get away to two places.  If anyone here has been to either place, which do you recommend for a long weekend for my fiance and me?  Keep in mind that golf is very important hear, but I have to keep the lady happy too. Or if you know of another place within a few hours drive of South Jersey, let me know.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Bedford Springs or Nemacolin
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »
I can't answer but a friend played BS recently. His non-playing wife, baby daughter and mother loved the place. He said the course was a Doak 6.5.

Jason Connor

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
I'd say you should stop and get out at Bedford, give her the keys to drive to Nemacolin and tell her to pick you up Sunday afternoon.

It comes down to who you want to make happier.  I like the golf at Bedford much more.  But I hear the amenities at Joe Hardy's place are better from friends who've done both (I grew up about half way between the two), though honestly I haven't been to the Bedford hotel since the renovation.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
Wow...what a question.

Mike Sweeney is correct that Bedford Springs is a Doak Scale 6.5 or so in my opinion...it's an architectural history afficianado's wet dream and lots of fun, only held back by too many forced carries over wetlands.   It also has 5 of the best par threes you'll ever see, as well as possibly the worst opening hole on the planet.

Nemacolin, on the other hand, is NOT Pete Dye at his best, on a tough, rocky property.

On the other hand, Nemacolin offers mucho amenities for your fiance and if the trip is about as much romance as golf I'd have to side with that one.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
Go to Nemacolin.  You'll have a great time there.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »
as well as possibly the worst opening hole on the planet.

It isn't the best, but trust me, there are worse ones.  Glaze Meadows at Black Butte in the Bend Or. area comes to mind.  A par 5 that is played 5-iron, 9-iron, 9-iron.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back