News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Russell

Images from a Golf Trip
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
Took a great golf trip last week, wanted to post a few pictures on here because I've never seen any of most of these courses in my short time on the board. I played ten courses in six days. Took way too many pics- like 600, all of which can be seen at: http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u335/russell6uga/?start=all

They're not the greatest, but they do show the architecture from right where I hit my shots. Here's the best- Enjoy...

Ballyneal:

Wildhorse:

Prairie Dunes:

Saint Louis CC (playing REALLY firm and fast!):

Skokie CC:

Shoreacres:

Chicago GC:

Black Creek:

The Honors Course:

Lookout Mountain GC:

The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

John Kavanaugh

Re: Images from a Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »
Proving once again that Europe has nothing on us when it comes to mega-trips.  Congrats on a wonderful itinerary.

Adam Russell

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »
All the credit goes to the pure American muscle underneath my trusty Ford Escape...
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »
Too bad you didn't get to play any good ones.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:31:56 PM »
Adam-

What a trip.

Wow, look at that biaritz green at Black Creek.

Wow, Chicago GC looks crazy good...one day maybe!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »
Too bad you didn't get to play any good ones.
+1
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Robert_Ball

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:46:31 PM »
...from right where I hit my shots.
Sorry about that heel-shank on #7 CGC     ;)

Great trip!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
I would say that St. Louis CC was likely playing TOO firm and fast. That grass looks fairly close to death. Do they not have fairway irrigation there?

C. Squier

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
I would say that St. Louis CC was likely playing TOO firm and fast. That grass looks fairly close to death. Do they not have fairway irrigation there?

Played there earlier this year....wasn't that bad, but in pretty rough shape.  The winter was pretty tough on the course, lots of ice I guess.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:08:27 PM »
STLCC is regrassing amd intentionally killed the grass. It will be closed until next year.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
Wow, what a trip!  One of my college buddies built Black Creek and I have yet to play it!  I need to make that trip and play BC, Honors and Lookout Mtn again.  It's been too long for the latter.  Chicago GC and Shore Acres look inviting to say the least.

Thanks for sharing.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

JWinick

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
Adam,

Thanx for posting.   Sounds like you had a great time.   Good luck in finding a design job!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »
In a word: Damn

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 02:05:30 AM »
Any comments on the courses? 

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »
All the credit goes to the pure American muscle underneath my trusty Ford Escape...

Good trip.

Did you wave when you passed Topeka?

Sorry that stop didn't work out for you.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »
Adam,

Give us your brief summary of the different course styles.

Compare and contrast St. Louis, Shoreacres, Chicago, Lookout.  Pictures are always nice, but your thoughts as a player/designer are more interesting.

Great trip!

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
Proving once again that Europe has nothing on us when it comes to mega-trips.  Congrats on a wonderful itinerary.

I'd say one would need WAAAY more contacts for that trip and WAAAY more windshield time than a trip to any number of concentated areas of great golf in the UK.

Sure looks like a great trip though
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Russell

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »
Fellas, thanks for the kind words. I dreamed all of this up and figured half of the courses would say no, and I would still have a great trip. When they all said yes, the reality of driving set in and I didn't really know if I could actually do it. It seemed like there were three parts- the prairie courses, the city courses, and the mountain courses in Chattanooga. All were different from the rest in each of my little created categories and to the other styles. The only thing each had in common were ability to accept both types of play (air and ground), and the visual tricks each play. All the courses had some hole or shot were the best place to be was the hardest-looking to get to.

Ballyneal and Black Creek I could play everyday for the rest of my life. They're both that much fun and forgiving to all levels of play. Prairie Dunes and The Honors test your ability big-time. So many different chips, putts, lies where you either hit the correct shot, or you take at least bogey. Saint Louis has the most striking elevation changes I've seen since the first time I went to Augusta. Shoreacres is like a sneaky version of Chicago, where every tee you step up and think 3 or 2, and end up with 5 or more. The rough is nasty because it looks so perfect and short, but snapped shut every club I tried to hit out of it. Some may not like that, because most balls that land there are going to be wedged out. Chicago's just a big golf museum. You realize playing there where the inspiration was for the creation of certain looks on modern holes. It's the Sand Hills of city golf. It was also more forgiving than I would have guessed. And Lookout seemed to be it's own deal- short in the mountains, which would seem like a double-whammy to me. Also, the bunkers were mostly flash. I played terrible and didn't get close to any of them. The scenery lulls you to sleep. 270 degree views on three or four holes. Hope everyone takes a quick look at the rest of the photos on Photobucket. There's more detailed shots, I just didn't want to clog up this site with them.

Robert- Although I did hit a poor shot on #7, it wasn't THAT poor. The super there said the best way to take a picture of the massive scale of the Redan was the big mound in the heel shank zone. I'm standing on about a ten foot high pimple there.

Ken- I waved as I passed Topeka, but no one saw me. It was pitch-black and the moon was just coming out. We'll get together one of these days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back