News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

A.G._Crockett

Re: East Lake - The new greens
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 05:33:57 AM »
Bob,
Sorry for the late reply; just got back in town after two weeks away from the computer.

Your club might want to check with Trophy Club in Alpharetta.  They put in Champion last year, and have now been through a winter.  They did not paint, and I saw a cover adjacent to the first green as I drove by during the winter months.  I have no idea whether they had to use the covers or not.

Though I've played a number of rounds on Champion, I haven't played the new greens at Trophy.  But friends who have give good reports.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

KBanks

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
Bob,

I heard the other day that Athens CC has decided to convert their bent greens to one of the new bermudas.

True?

Ken
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:41:48 AM by KBanks »

Tim Bert

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »
One of our local public clubs in Nashville went to Champion a few years ago.  Either the first or second year they suffered some substantial winter kill.  They cover them pretty regularly when the temps get below freezing in winter, though I don't know the exact temp threshold.

Joey Smith

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 11:09:05 PM »
Tim,

I assume that you are talking about CR?  I love that course and I think they prooved you can build a good d. fee course for not a lot of money.

I heard they lost the green this summer.  Is that true?

js
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
Tim,

I assume that you are talking about CR?  I love that course and I think they prooved you can build a good d. fee course for not a lot of money.

I heard they lost the green this summer.  Is that true?

js

Is the CR you refer to in the Murfreesboro area?  Thats not the one that I'm talking about.  I did hear they lost their greens this summer.  I actually had one friend refer another to the course and tell the other that the course was in great shape.  It was only a two week gap but the greens were lost by the time the other made it to the course.

I was referring to FC.

William King

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »
For you turfheads out there, EL sprigged its new Bermuda greens one month ago. They started cutting them late last week. Talk about your fast grow-in.

People at EL seem to be confident that by the time of the Tour Championship in late September, their greens will be well established and fast as hell.

I am amazed at how quickly you can convert to Bermuda greens. The stuff gallops across properly prepared dirt.

I'm not suprised. My Brother's club, Berkeley Hills CC in Duluth Ga, did 18 holes, 9 @ a time, in one summer. They came out both hard & fast. In fact Stuart Cink joined earlier in the year just because of the greens which he calls the closest thing to tour quality in the ATL area. If they tried to keep the bent @ Sugarloaf running tour speed all year they would be dead by early June.

john_stiles

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
Bob,

Palmetto GC went to mini-verde & might another source of information.
It was mentioned that the greens would be painted in December 2007 but am not sure if that was done during winter 07/08,  the first winter for the new mini-verde.

Seems many in the SC low country do paint.

John

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back