News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

I played the Dye course for the second time yesterday and am still confounded as to why this course doesn't make any of the top 100 lists.  It seems to fare very well, in my mind, when compared to TPC-Sawgrass, Long Cove, The Honors Course and The Ocean Course.

The course is a solid driving course with excellent approaches.  I would even go so far as saing the greens are better than the previously mentioned courses.

What does everyone else think of this course?

Scott

Mike Salinetti

Re: Why isn't the Dye course at Colleton River more highly regarded?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
Scott, I am a big fan of this course as well. I have a good friend who is a member there so I have been out a few times. Most recently was in December. It's actually a great course to walk and carry the bag.

Mike Salinetti
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Why isn't the Dye course at Colleton River more highly regarded? New
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
I agree Scott and I know the Mr. Dye and Tim Liddy also agree that it's one of their best. I think that it's the best course in the HHI area and my beloved Long Cove is second, but not really close. the super there, kevin dugger, knows how to grow grass-fast and firm and he can get those tifdwarf greens whatever speed you want!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:04:04 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:10 PM »
Based on photos, aerial views, and comments by Dye and Liddy, I've always been intrigued by this place. It looks like it has a lot of potential. I think Ron Whitten wrote a review about it 2 or 3 years ago where he said it was better than Long Cove and maybe even better than Harbour Town. He also said it belonged in the Top 100.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
i'll be over there in a few weeks. I'll be sure to do a little photo tour when I get back.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
Because it's not one of his best!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
I've seen pictures of the course that are beautiful because of the setting, but there seems to be a LOT of shaping going on.

Are the greens (contouring) of the same quality and interest as Long Cove?  I think those are some of Pete's best.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
I played the course the year it opened.  The setting was grand but I don't remember much about each of the holes.  I do remember that it was difficult and the shots into the greens demanded precision.  I also remember that I couldn't wait for the round to end.  And I remember that I did not like the course at all.  I don't it is in the same league as Long Cove or Harbor Town.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chuck Brown

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:14:01 AM »
It's funny, I have always wanted to play the Nicklaus course at Colleton River ever since it opened, and with the wealth of courses in the Hilton Head area, I just never got around to it.  I'd have never even thought of the Dye course there.

Any comments comparing the two?

bill_k

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
The Dye course sure is beautiful and fun to play for the most part, but there are a few aspects which stand out as contrived. The artificial ridge which separates the 1st and 9th fairways has always struck me as kind of ugly and innatural-but they are both pretty decent holes otherwise. The berm obscuring the green from the left side of the 14th fairway feels VERY out of place on what is otherwise a pretty low-profile back nine. However, there are some GREAT holes at the Dye. I really like all of the par 3's...especailly the Redan 3rd and short 13th (a short iron right out into the Port Royal Sound). I have only played Long Cove once, but I think Tom Doak is probably correct regarding the greens comparison.
Only the stretch of holes from#2 through #8 is shielded somewhat from the wind...and with the open location right on the Port Royal Sound the golf course can really start kicking your ass if the wind picks up. It's just so much different from anything else in the area it is hard to find anything to compare it to.
I wonder how much the overall "feel" of the course will change when they finally start selling some of the real estate surrounding the Dye. Some guy just built a house the size of a Wal-Mart directly behind the 15th green up against the sound-which completely ruins the hole for me. I suppose it is inevitable...

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
I was on a conference call with Pete and Alice with Ron Whitten of Golf Digest magazine a number of years ago where Pete went on and on about how he thought his course at Colleton River was one of his best....

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
I have played both the Dye and Nicklaus courses at CR about 8--10 times each over the years.  While the Dye has grown on me, I have always regarded the Nicklaus Course as probably the single best course in the entire HH region.  Very traditional, albeit peppered with housing, (unlike the Dye, which has little) and with a slam-bang waterside finish close by the river itself.

Unlike the monochromatic nature of the competing 36-hole developments (Belfair, Berkeley Hall) ther Colleton courses are truly chocolate and vanilla, and in my opinion, make it the best high-end golf-RE development in the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back