News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

C. Squier

Re: Holes where the toughest pin position is in the middle of the green
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »
#3 @ Yeamans Hall.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »

Doesn't having the bunker/hazard in the middle of the green make the interesting cupping locations on the side.  A pin just in front of the bunker would be the most difficult middle green location.  The thumbprints, terraces and slope changes are what make the middle pin positions.

What's fun about the center pins behind the bunker is using the slopes to feed the ball around the hazard.  That's the most fun, planning and executing a shot like that!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 04:22:36 PM »
#4 at Dubsdread and #12 at ANGC for the same reason - that's the skinniest and hardest to hit part of the green - #4 horizontally and #12 vertically.  I like hourglass greens.

Didn't know that about the 12th at ANGC.  Thought Sunday position -- back right -- was toughest.

How about 18 at ANGC?  Don't know the exact center, but am thinking it would put you either on the ridge, directly above it, or right below it.  Center of 16 might be similar. 

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
The infamous pin position on 12 at Rustic Canyon is more or less in the middle. And it drives people nuts! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
#2 at Southern Pines Golf Club. Since the redesign the green works in a slight horseshoe in the middle. A pin placement right in the middle doesn't allow for any type of play once on the green. If short of the flag the ball will roll back down when putting if you don't get it to the hole, and may end up farther away than what you had before. Ships from the side most likely have to carry onto the top shelf or they will break off the green. Putts from above the hole can't go past the hole, otherwise, they may roll off the green and back about 75 yards in the fairway. I noticed this placement about the second time I played there.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »

Links of North Dakota (Steven Kay)

#8 174/185 yd par 3  Note pin in the "middle" of the green.  This pic is taken from a side view

What to call this--a mini-swale?  Enables an interesting front middle pin.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »

Links of North Dakota (Steven Kay)
What to call this--a mini-swale?  Enables an interesting front middle pin.

That's what I'm talking about - that's right out of the Macdonald/Raynor textbook.  How could you possibly two putt that if the green is running 10-11?  I suspect you'd have to putt long left and hope it dies back to the hole.  That looks like fun!

mike_beene

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
9th at TOC.No reference so depth perception is tough.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:21 AM »
#14 at Augusta
#15 at Tobacco Road
#1 at NGLA
#10 at Oakmont

and

#12 at Ballyneal!!!!!

Is there a pinnable position in the center of #12 at Ballyneal ;D

I was going to suggest #7 at Ballyneal, although the toughest may be in the back on that hole.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 02:43:12 AM »
The infamous pin position on 12 at Rustic Canyon is more or less in the middle. And it drives people nuts! ;D

I was going to suggest 2, 4, and 9 for Rustic.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back