News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: A fifth major - but not in the US
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »
Rich,

Interesting choice of Westwood there.  Whilst he certainly gets paid to do so he probably plays in more different countries every year than anyone else in the top 10 and more than the vast majority in the top 100.  In fact, most European pros travel rather more internationally than the vast majority of US pros.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
It would be great to see the top shelf of Aussie pros tackle Royal Melbourne. Does anyone know how hard it is to get there from Orlando?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
The world golf rankings have their limitations, but I'm not seeing the bigotry...

12 of the top 25 ranked players in the world are international players....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »
Rich,

Interesting choice of Westwood there.  Whilst he certainly gets paid to do so he probably plays in more different countries every year than anyone else in the top 10 and more than the vast majority in the top 100.  In fact, most European pros travel rather more internationally than the vast majority of US pros.

Of course they do, Mark, for a number of reasons:

1.   Money
2.   More world ranking points
3.   Money
4.   Better courses
5.   Money
6.   Better competition
7.   Money
8.   Better weather
9.   Money
10.  Better junk food
11.  Money
12.  etc. etc. etc.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
Rich, I think you missed the biggest reason, money.

For those complaining about rankings points on one tour versus another, this has been solved somewhat, in that the rankings points events receive are based on those who enter. So, if a Euro tour event has all of the top ranking Euros, and a few of the top Americans, it should receive as many or more points as an American tour event. The points follow the players. At least, that's the way it was last time I read up on it. There was talk of changing it, as the rankings became, in a sense, self-fulfilling, but I don't believe this change was made, because the only guy that ever really capitalized on it was Tiger, and it was clear to everyone he was the best, by a margin probably even greater than the ridiculous amount it once was.

If I were golf czar, I'd decree The Players a major, but that's just me; I'm happy with how it is now, not a major. I'd also look closely into whatever Euro Tour event is the best - the Volvo Masters? Euro PGA?

Then I'd move everything to Australia, along with my sorry butt... :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:07:35 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
Leave it to Rich to leave off the real reason....

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Certainly someone will throw money at it to draw a top field and establish themselves as the 5th.  Although I think tradition will still win out and keep it at 4.  Large purses don't always play - just look at horse racing, the top 2 purses are Dubai and Breeders' - yet they are not held in the collective public mind as the big 3 that the Triple Crown hold.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back