News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

I wish Loch Lomond were Links Lomond
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
Scottish Open this weekend.

As much as I admire and adore Loch Lomond, I remain unconvinced that it is the true home of the SCOTTISH OPEN.

Shurely the SCOTTISH OPEN should be played upon one of SCOTLAND'S finest Links courses?

Esp in the week before THE OPEN?

Maybe the Dunhill should move to Loch Lomond and the SCOTTISH OPEN should be played upon a rota of Scotland's multiplicity of marvellous linksy loops?

naewind,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

Re: I wish Loch Lomond were Links Lomond
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Martin -

From what I have read, the area around the Loch Lomond course is reputed to be one of the wettest micro-climates in Scotland. Do you know if this is true?

Play was delayed by rain (and parts of the course flooding) for 90 minutes this morning.

However, it is a beautiful spot when the sun is shining. ;)

DT

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »
I agree, I find it odd that the Scottish Open is played on an entirely un-Scottish course. I suppose the only thing Scottish about Loch Lomond is that it lies within the boundaries of Scotland.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
David,
absolutely true! The bonnie banks are bathed in bonnie scots precipitation quite a fair bit. There's a terrific rainfall map (an Isodrench!?) in Robert Price's book which shows a wide dark blue band on the west side of Ecosse and a very light blue band on the east.
It is an undeniably beautiful scenic part of my homeland, but is somewhat despoiled by rainfall and the DREADED MIDGIE!
It should also be pointed out that whilst our rainfall usually only delays the playing of golf, serious water (such as recently in Iowa) actually kills people.

FBD.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
Martin,,

Isn't the area around Fort Willam the wettest part of Scotland?

Bob

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »
Bob,
official Met Office Figure:

Facts and Figures

Maximum in a day (09-09 UTC): 238 mm at Sloy Main Adit, Loch Lomond on 17 January 1974.

For our unmetricised colleagues, 238mm is approx 10 INCHES - IN A DAY!

Eek! ;D
FBD

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
Martin:

Before Loch Lomond it spent a number of years at Gleneagles, didn't it?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »
Tom,
it certainly did - as a well-known antipodean member of this discussion group remembers both somewhat vividly and with undisguised great affection.
Perhaps if the 'powers that be' (who are those guys anyway?) at Gleneagles had chosen to employ the talents of a decent architect at an earlier time, the Kings might have been cleverly re-designed to allow it to continue to be a challenging track for our longer-hitting professional players and to remain upon the European Tour rota.
I certainly don't envy David Kidd's task of queereyeing the Centenary course into a decent track for an impending Ryder Cup! I do wish him all good speed however.

best,
FBD.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:33:37 AM »
In between Gleneagles and Loch Lomond, The Scottish Open had a year or two on Links ground... It was held at Carnoustie, wasn't it?

Do you think the turnout by both pros and spectators would be as good if it were on a Links... As cynical as this may sound, do they not always moan about getting their swings thrown off rythym when playing in wind... They may want to save that for the actual week of The Open...

However, that aside, I always thought that they should have a mini-Links calendar in July with the Opens of Ireland, Scotland, Holland and Britain all taking place one after another...

Talking of David Kidd and Gleneagles, has anyone seen his Gleneagles West site?... How is that project progressing?

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 05:51:58 AM »
Ally

Yes, the 1995 and 96 Scottish Opens were at Carnoustie.

It would be good to see top professionals playing on some of the older tradtional courses more often, and not just in the Scotish Open. The first professional tournament I went to watch was at Sunningdale, but they would murder that course and many others if they played them today. And I like the idea of a Links Calendar in July.

I can't comment on DMK's Gleneagles West, but I was at the Centenary course at Gleneagles last week, and I'll post a few photos and comments in the next few days...

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean Walsh

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:02 AM »
Ally that' a wonderful idea....

and so will never happen.. :'(

Paul_Daley

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 09:14:27 AM »
All is not lost, regarding the Scottish not playing their big events on sacred turf --- it just doesn't always happen to be the Scottish Open. The Scottish PGA championship, for instance, has frequently been played over Machrihanish, Cruden Bay, Dunbar, Montrose, Lundin Links and other links. As a rule, too, the Scottish Golf Union utilises its best courses for its Scottish Amateur. All the big names links are on its amateur rota, including The Old Course, Carnoustie, Troon, Muirfield, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Aberdeen, Nairn, Southerness, Gullane, and so forth. Even so, it just goes to show how money "talks all languages" ... to even contemplate playing a Scottish Open at Loch Lomond. What a lost opportunity.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »
Isn't the Dundonald Links course a part of the Loch Lomond club? Why not there?

The newest addition to Loch Lomond Golf Club is Dundonald Links. Designed by Kyle Phillips, one of the game's top architects, it has been recognised as one of the best new courses in the world (Robb Report 2004). Situated by the sea near the legendary town of Troon, Dundonald Link's soil and climate conditions make the course suitable for year-round play.

"My desire was to create a championship Ayrshire-style links course that felt and played as though it was an old rediscovered course, by integrating newly constructed features with existing site features." - Kyle Phillips, course designer
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
Steve S. -

Dundonald was part of the Loch Lomond club at one time. It may still be. However, I now believe it is available for daily fee play.

I know there were plans in the works to build a 2nd course (designed by Nicklaus) at the Loch Lomond club. I do not know that the current status of that project.

There has been speculation in the British press that the Loch Lomond club is up for sale. If it does get sold, the new owners may have different ideas about hosting the Scottish Open there in the future.

Kingsbarns would be a great venue.

DT 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »

It would be good to see top professionals playing on some of the older tradtional courses more often, and not just in the Scotish Open. The first professional tournament I went to watch was at Sunningdale, but they would murder that course and many others if they played them today. James

But they do, once a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7480937.stm

Agreed it's a limited field playing each course only once, but then again they course is only set up to club standards so it doesnt do too badly.

One year I hope to get there. Can anyone find a link to the complete scores.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »
Tony,

It would be good to get to see the European International Final Qualifying. Here is a link to the scores:

http://scores.opengolf.com/scores.sps?pageid=10&iTourNo=2008005&iTourId=7

Paul,

The Scottish PGA may have been held over some fine old courses in the past, but they have decided to follow the trend of newer venues as it was at the Centenary course at Gleneagles this year, or to give its full title, The PGA Centenary...

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »
I'm guessing Jack isn't too enamoured of his first/only so far(?) Scottish baby undergoing some fairly drastic plastic surgery. However, I'd also bet that the income from the next Loch Lomond development might be assuaging his ire somewhat.

Between the Centenary re-model and the dismantling of the Dukes, these old pros ain't doing so well in the home of golf, are they?

That David Kidd and that Tim Liddy better look out. The old guard will not be easily removed. Or will they?????

FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
Boy, I hate replying to my own posts. (take note, asphalt boy).
but
watching coverage today old buffer Peter Alliss announced in reply to a viewer question on which is more beautiful - Augusta or Loch Lomond - that Loch Lomond is theeee most beautiful golf course in all the world - also saying that Augusta is beautiful but cannot even hope to match the natural scenic beauty of LL. (some MB paraphrasing there, but generally fully intact reply).
Thoughts?
FBD.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »
James,
Yep, got it. That's a shame that the Scottish PGA is no longer being played at the traditional links centres. Just as well that the Scottish Amateur brainstrust still has the will to see it happens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back