News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Broadmoor
« on: July 07, 2002, 10:01:39 PM »
I returned yesterday from an escape-the-heat trip to the Broadmoor.I recall an earlier mention that at least one of the Ross holes was eliminated and that the bunkering was significantly changed.With the courses fresh on my mind,I would appreciate any details on the courses and on the Ross holes in particular.Did Ross intend that the depressions behind many of the greens be fairway height?Did he want the fairways inside the fairway bunkers?By the way ,an excellent caddie program and a fair number of walkers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Doug Wright

Re: Broadmoor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 09:40:39 AM »
Mike,

Since nobody else responded (I hate zero replies to threads) and I know a little about the Broadmoor let me give you my 2 cents.

The East and West courses near the hotel are both part Ross and part Robert Trent Jones. There's a road that bisects the courses to the south--you take a tunnel under the road to reach it. Everything north of the road nearer the hotel is, or at least was, Ross; everything south of the road is  RTJ.  The Ross portions are defintiely superior IMO--the bunkering is better and the holes are routed better. If you're looking for pure Ross, however, the Broadmoor is not the place. I can't tell what is left for the most part. There is some good bunkering on some holes, and some good Ross greensites like #2 West, #6 West, #2 East, #16 East. But the course is so choppy and has been ripped up and redone so many times (most recently before the US Women's Open in the mid '90s won by Annika Sorenstam) that it's hard to get a handle on. Nevertheless, if you want a great resort and some decent golf with very tough mountain break greens, this is the place.

Hope you skipped the South (Mountain) course. It's a Palmer-Seay dog track.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

mike_beene

Re: Broadmoor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 08:57:58 PM »
Doug,I avoided the mountain.I did hit at the range on the Mountain last year,and the view is spectacular.In fairness,the staff doesn't push the Mountain course at all.It appears the resort does not plan to salvage the ruined holes.Thanks for your input.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back