News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Pete Dye Golf Club (pics, edited with more pics)
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »
Found a few nice photos of PDGC. I figured many don't know much about this course or how it looks. These pictures do a pretty good job showing how it's one of the most beautiful looking courses around.
I think the 18th might be one of the most under rated closing holes in golf. It's hard to think of an 18th hole I'd rather play than this one. i'm jelous of the guys on this website who are going to play here in august! Have fun guys.

7th hole

9th hole

2nd hole

Approach to 18th green with 10th hole in the distance

16th green

The crazy 17th green in distance

edit:
A few more

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:49:51 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

mtp

Re: Pet Dye Golf Club (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »
That first picture is abysmal. It looks like a pitch and putt with with go-gart tracks: the others look great. Please explain that first picture.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
Let's not forget that Golfweek considers this course the 4th best course in the country built since 1960.  I havn't seen the course so have to figure this is just an awful picture.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
Abysmal? Wow, that's strong. Ok, you don't like the cart path, i get it, but can you over exaggerate a bit more? You make it sound like someone just vomited and took a picture of it.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

C. Squier

Re: Pete Dye Golf Club (pics)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »
I've never played PDGC, but it looks like the 1st pic was taken from a crane and the bumps and hills look exaggerated because of that.  The rest looks pretty crazy (good) and I'd love to see more. 

Jim Colton

Re: Pete Dye Golf Club (pics, edited with more pics)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
Well, it's not too hard to figure out that it's a Pete Dye course (which I'd consider a good thing).  Looks very much like Blackwolf Run (again, a good thing).

These pics have me checking my calendar for early August.

I knew very little about this course prior to this thread.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:00:39 AM by Jim Colton »

Paul Carey

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
The picture of number 7 (the first picture) does not do the hole justice.  The teeing area is 50-75 feet above the green and has a lot of swirling winds.  It is difficult to choose the correct club and execute the shot.  When standing on the tee you see the green, the bunkers and the sliver of fairway...not all the other tees. 

Of course the hole was manufactured....but aren't most of Dye's holes?

Anyway, the picture really does not do the hole justice.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »
Paul neglected to mention that the path you see emrging from the center of the first photo is actually coming from an old mine shaft located under #7 tee. The view of the green as you come out of the shaft is unique to say the least!

By the way the only thing better than the golf course is the service which is consistantly outstanding!

Dan Chapman

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »
Cool pics, thank you for sharing.  What am I looking at above the bridge in the 10th hole (4th picture down)?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
Looks great - always amazing to me that the Nationwide Tour absolutely eats it for breakfast.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »
Thanks for posting. I wish I could make the outing, hopefully it gets a good turnout, looks like a blast to play. I agree with Jim in that I see some Blackwolf Run in there, but also some other Dye traits. First picture is very busy, but I think it would be much less so if one was actually there.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics. It is still one of my favorite places to play. #7 is a good hole about 200 yards from the back tee. I believe that hole is also the cover of Brad Klein's book.

Kavanaugh - It is a great and fun course to play. You need to see it.
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »

I think I will when Dye finishes his new course at French Lick. 

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
Thanks for posting these. I'm in the weird position of hoping my business is slow in early August!

I think I will when Dye finishes his new course at French Lick. 

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
I dunno, that looks pretty unreal to me....for some reason that course really suits my eye.

The first photo (#7) looks really fun, maybe that's just me?

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
I dunno, that looks pretty unreal to me....for some reason that course really suits my eye.

The first photo (#7) looks really fun, maybe that's just me?

Yeah, I agree. For my aesthetic, this is one of the most visually appealing courses I've ever seen.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
It is a tribute to the genius of Dye that he can take so many different types of properties and make them all look the same.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
Course is awesome.  It's probably my favorite Dye (between this one and The Ocean Course).  So many good holes out there.

-Brian

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:27 PM »
Another "view" of the 7th:

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »
It is a tribute to the genius of Dye that he can take so many different types of properties and make them all look the same.

Barney,

Please name a sister hole from another Dye course for each of the holes depicted above. 

Thanks.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Michael,

The only name Dye courses I have played are Crooked Stick and Kiawah Island.  I never carry a card so which hole is which is not in my memory.  I will say that Kiawah seemed whiter and Crooked Stick flatter than what is pictured.  I know I just pulled a gut feeling out of my ass but do you think I am wrong...and if so, could you post any pictures that don't look like the above.

Here is a nice link to the Dye Designs web site that has a nice flash gallery. http://www.dyedesigns.com/courses.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:06:42 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »
Hey that seventeenth green raises the question ;D  If a biarritz has enough rolls to make three sections, does that mean its a triarritz?  That 17th could be a quadarritz ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:39 PM »
Michael,

I know I just pulled a gut feeling out of my ass but do you think I am wrong...and if so, could you post any pictures that don't look like the above.

Barney, thank you for this well-reasoned response.

No pictures to post, but I have played The Honors thrice as well as TPC Sawgrass and Whistling Straits.  Based on those three courses I offer the following observations:

The first par three is atypical in that Dye rarely gives one the full view of a short hole's green.  For some reason I thought of Doak's 8th green at Quail Crossing.

Greenside bunkering appears fairly deep - Dye only uses this feature at The Honors 11th and 17th greens to force a big carry for the playing attempting to reach in two.

I don't recall seeing a center-line hazard like the 9th above.

I also don't recall a diagonal forced carry like the 2nd hole shown above.

I don't recall seeing the repeated rolls in any greens like the 17th above.

I don't recall the high side of sidehill fairways being scalloped as seen on a couple of holes shown above.

The 18th hole is somewhat similar to the 13th at WS as the fairway sweeps downhill to a green hard against water.  

Just a few thoughts.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »
After seeing these pictures and enjoying The Honors so much, I'll have to say that perhaps no one does U. S. parkland better than Pete Dye. 

Cory Brown

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »
Just out of curiosity is there anywhere on that green (17?) that is pinnable besides the very back?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back