News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Merion from the road
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
If one were to ride the train out from downtown and try to take a look without tresspassing or being a bother,can you see enough of Merion from Ardmore Avenue and from the road to the left of 14 and 15 to be worth a trip out? Years ago my wife's twin sister was married in Haverford and for some reason I didn't try to look even though the house where we were was just around the corner. Would I use Haverford station?

Adam Clayman

Re: Merion from the road
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »
Mike, Merion is not something someone can appreciate from snippets. Apparently, some can even play it and not see it.  ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »
Mike,
It's definitely worth a trip.  It's right on the route 100 high-speed line, and I think Haverford is the stop. 

Hell - I do the driveby myself from time to time (via auto) if I'm anywhere near the Main Line.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:23:19 PM »
Is there a fence or wall down Ardmore Ave? This sounds like some criminal discussion group.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:44:21 AM »

Having electronically snooped around the edges of the property, I'd recommend looking at http://maps.google.com/, search on  ardmore,pa, zoom into the course along Ardmore Ave., then click and drag the little orange man in the top left corner onto Ardmore where you want to look.  You will see ground level pictures continuously along the road boundary to the course.  There are no fences along Ardmore and the course is easily viewed and quite close to the road.  You can even see the amazing Alps feature across Ardmore where the 10th used to be.   ;)  Of course walking the road would be better.  Being on the course playing would be priceless.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
Keep in mind that Ardmore is a busy street.  You'd proably be safest walking along the 2nd hole outside the world's scariest OB markers (they're HUGE!).

Michael Blake

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
I'm making a Merion drive-by this morning, after taking the kids to the pediatrician just around the block.
I normally just drive on GHR to see #1, #14, #15, tee shot on #16.

Mike,  Not sure it is really worth it to make a special trip, unless you happen to be in the area.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Merion is very easily seen from the road and would be worth a drive/walk-by if in the area.

Back in College it was accessible enough for my friend to find out that they take out the wicker baskets at night and replace them with flags.  :o
H.P.S.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
My very first viewing of Merion was from the road.

I drove past 13 and along the first hole on my right, and then turned right, up along Golf House Road to the top.

Looked what happened to me!?!   :o ;)

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »
I will be downtown Philly for a week later this month for a legislative convention and figured I would sneak away for a couple of hours at some point and take the train out.Sounds like it would be worth it.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Merion from the road New
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
Mike - I think you take the subway/el blue line to 69th street and then take the Route 100 High Speed trolly to the Haverford station.  Should take about 35 minutes.

It's definitely worth it.  Bring your credit card - it's a wonderful pro shop.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:16:16 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back