News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Suggestions for North Jersey
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »
If one finds themself, God forbid, in North Jersey :), what are the best public options?

Dan Herrmann

Re: Suggestions for North Jersey
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
Wayne, my wife is from North Jersey - watch it!  ;)  PS - I agree with you

Where in NJ?  It's funny how Philly folks think North Jersey starts at I-195.  So - Paramus, or Freehold?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:15:53 PM »
Wayne, my wife is from North Jersey - watch it!  ;)  PS - I agree with you

Where in NJ?  It's funny how Philly folks think North Jersey starts at I-195.  So - Paramus, or Freehold?

Just checking to see if anyone's awake out there. 

Actually, will be in Parsippay in the AM with the afternoon open.  I know there's some been some chatter on here about Francis A. Byrne... is that worthwhile?  Are there other?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
Wayne, sorry - I don't know that area.  But I know Matt Ward certainly does.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
Wayne:

If you are in North Jersey -- the area above I-78 I would suggest calling Crystal Springs Golf & Spa Resort in Franklin -- roughly 30-35 minutes away from Parsippany and see if you can tee it up at Ballyowen -- it's the states best public course after Atlantic City CC.

The tariff isn't cheap but the golf from Roger Rulewich does deliver.

Francis Bryne does receive chatter here on GCA but it's more of the wishful stuff about what could be rather than what is.

If you need another option not as expensive as Ballyowen - I highly recommend Heron Glen in Ringoes -- located in Hunterdon County and no more than 45-50 minutes away. Solid taxpayer-owned county layout designed by Dan Schelegel who's under the radar for many people but did an outstanding job there. One of the top five public courses in all of Jersey IMHO.

Just off I-78 a bit further away in Lopatcong Twsp is The Architect's Club. A bit more expensive than Heron Glen and roughly equal to each other in overall quality.

Hope the info helps ... even if "God forbid" you find yourself in North Jersey. Trust me Wayne -- we won't bite you ! ;D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »
Only public Raynor being redone by George Bahto:

http://www.knollcc.com/index.htm

It is right there, The West is the Raynor course. Very good could be great.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
Matt's right about Architects' - it's a very fun course to play.  If you can do 36, sneak over 5 miles into PA and play KBM's Morgan Hill.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
Matt -

Thanks for the "leads".  As I mentioned to Dan, was just trying to see if the North Jersey contingency was paying attention.  Have played Architects, and really enjoyed it and will look into the others, including The Knoll (thanks, Mike).

WW

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »
To echo what Mike S said -- playing Knoll / West -- right in Parsippany can be plenty of fun. The course is further along the dreadful Francis Bryne but it still needs plenty of TLC (likely George Bahto will give it that and so much more) for it to be what it once was in its glory days from years gone by.

I'd make a visit if travel time is limited.

Wayne, be sure not be fooled and play Knoll / East -- it is dreadful. You only play it if you are auditioning to be the next goalie for the Jersey devils because golf balls are flying all over the place. Knoll / West is a but further up the entrance road.

Dan H is also correct about Morgan Hill -- just over the Delaware via I-78.

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »
River Vale  by Orrin Smith  has some very good par fours with rolling terrain 
and some neat approaches to elevated greens. Nice variety of par fours and par fives of varying  lengths, including the 18th over a pond to plateau green.  River Vale also  has some clever green contours   ( Knoll W is also very good )

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Just played Rivervale and agree about the green complexes and some of the approach shots.  The course could be good, but I found it so choked with trees and shrubs that it ruined the overall experience for me. 

Some FW bunkers are surrounded by trees, trees in the first cut, giant shrubs in goofy places and they decided to spend money putting nice curbs on the cart paths!  I wish some of the angles could be restored, and the views between holes opened up.  With greens like that, it could really be a strong public option.

If you are in Parsippany I'd stick with the Knoll. Definitely high on the fun meter.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
I agree with the Big Knoll suggestion wholeheartedly! 

I have not played it but have heard good things about Berkshire Valley.

http://www.morrisparks.net/golf/html/courses/description_berkshire.html

The treehouse can ring in and comment.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Dean:

Whoever advised you on Berkshire Valley needs to stop sipping the kool-aid. The layout is quite ordinary -- the first number of holes march on a straight line high above a major fall-off. Should you slice your tee shot on #1 you CANNOT retrieve the ball because of the fall-off -- even though you are still on golf course property.

The driving range is also quite unique -- you hit up a hill that could have the trials for the Olympic downhill !!!

There are some holes of note but frankly Sunset Valley is still the better Morris County public option in my book.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
The Knoll (West) it is.  Thanks much for enlightening input.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back