News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Comments on Montrose and Panmure
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
Considering a trip to Scotland and I am wondering about putting these courses on my itinerary...comments welcome.

David_Tepper

Re: Comments on Montrose and Panmure
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »
Stan Dodd is our resident Panmure expert. He has very good things to say about the course. If you do a search for Panmure, you may be able to find his thread on Panmure from last summer.l   

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »
Stan is clearly not our only Panmure expert!

Check out the "My Home Course" post about Panmure by Gordon Jones.

www.golfclubatlas.com/mhcpanmure.html

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »
I've not played Montrose but played Carnoustie and Panmure in the same day. I'm glad I made the effort to go out in the afternoon and play Panmure. An enjoyable course which has some highlights in the middle of the round.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:08:15 AM »
For what it's worth, Panmure was the course where Hogan practiced prior to his one and only Open Championship win at nearby Carnoustie.

Montrose has ties to the game dating back to the feathery era; the Royal Montrose club is one of the oldest in the game and dates back to the early 1800s, and rudimentary versions of golf are said to have been played on the common links there for some 400 years. The course recently has been suffering from some erosion, according to press accounts.

Mike Leveille

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
Kelly:

I find both Montrose and Panmure to be very good courses, with a slight nod between the two to Panmure.  I'd probably give Panmure a 7 on the Doak scale and Montrose a 6.  Panmure starts and finishes with a few plain holes, but the middle 12 holes are excellent as a group.  If you are looking to play 36 holes in a day, Panmure is a great addition to a day at Carnoustie, as it is right next door and involves a bit of a breather from the relative difficulty of Carnoustie.

Mike

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
While I can't speak to Panmure, I enjoyed Montrose, perhaps because I was not expecting much. The holes along the dune are all very strong. The course loses a bit of steam in the middle section (10-14) when you turn back inland. The 16th has one of the great greens in all of Christendom and is almost worth the price of admission. I posted a thread on it a while back that you might be able to find using the search function.

If rumpled ground is your thing, Montrose has this in abundance.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
I can recommend them both.  Panmure igreat fun with some really good holes in the middle, as was stated.  The 6th is a great par 4 with a semi blind tee shot and an uphill second to a small target guraded by Hogan's bunker on the left with a steep fall off on the left.  The par 3's are good with some sloping greens.  It also has a range which is nice.
Gordon Jones grew up on the course and knows it well.  It was the toughest in relation to par as a final qualifying site last year.  There have been a number of improvements recently, some added length and gorse and tree removal.
It makes a good double with Carnoustie or Monifieth.

I really like Montrose, IMHO not as strong as Panmure overall but some really good holes. 

Add them both.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:56:03 AM »
Montrose has ties to the game dating back to the feathery era; the Royal Montrose club is one of the oldest in the game and dates back to the early 1800s, and rudimentary versions of golf are said to have been played on the common links there for some 400 years. The course recently has been suffering from some erosion, according to press accounts.

Phil
Montrose have started the alterations due to the erosion ,  the 2nd tee has now been moved more inland , and I believe a new 1st green is to be built soon .

Philippe Binette

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
Montrose's got a great vibe to it, I like the town and the place and how the course goes out and in

Panmure is really good, maybe better golf than Montrose but not by much and both place are really worth spending time there

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Phil
Montrose have started the alterations due to the erosion ,  the 2nd tee has now been moved more inland , and I believe a new 1st green is to be built soon .

Brian:

That's good to hear; will the changes alter the course significantly?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:16:18 AM »
Phil
I have yet to make a trip down to Montrose this year yet , but going by what a friend who is a member said , the new tee on the 2nd has been moved inland , and will probably end up on or close to the 1st green .

Looks like no more photos like this :

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
Panmure is a terrific layout. A bit subtle, but well worth it. I played there many years ago and began the day with the most amazing breakfast. I shall never forget either the eggs nor the terrain.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back