News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

The British Isles in 1937...
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
Taking up on Tom's thread asking what were the best courses on the Continent in 1937, something curios struck me and so I was wondering what courses would have been considered the best ones IN the British Isles in 1937...

Adrian_Stiff

Re: The British Isles in 1937...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
Philip- I think pretty much the same ones as today the only real differences in the top 10 then v now would likely be such things as. Birkdale would probably not have been top 10, Turnberry also. Troon was much shorter in 1937 and so probably Prestwick would have been thought of higher although even Prestwick was 'fading' after the 25 Open.
I'd guess a top 10 then would have gone maybe:
1. St Andrews
2. Muirfield
3. Hoylake
4. Royal St Georges
5. Royal Lytham
6. Carnoustie
7. Prestwick
8. Ganton
9. Deal
10. Westward Ho!

Not sure how the Irish courses would have fared.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
Gosh, there are a ton which could be added, probably half of which would be around London.  Off the top of my head I would add:

Co Down
Portmarnock
Portrush

Cruden Bay
Gleneagles
North Berwick

Woking
Pulborough
Walton Heath Old/New
Addidngton New (NLE)/Old
Sunningdale Old/New
St Georges Hill
Moor Park
Worplesdon
West Hill
Royal Ashdown
Swinley Forest
Coombe Hill
Berkshire

Burnham & Berrow
Silloth
Huntercombe
Goswick
Saunton New (NLE)
Princes (NLE)
Liphook
RW&N
Brancaster

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
Not sure if the members of Portmarnock would want to be included in the "British Isles" category. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »
Not sure if the members of Portmarnock would want to be included in the "British Isles" category. ;)

Perhaps the members of 1937 did.  Its difficult to say.  I am not sure when Ireland became properly independent of Great Britain.  It was a long process and some believe its still isn't completed.  I always took Ireland to be independent in late 1937 with the signing of he new Constitution.  Even then, the President was the representative of the King - though I am not sure how tightly this was adhered to.  Fascinating stuff this Irish history.  What do you Irish lot choose as the celebratory date of independence?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Anyone want to include the years of opening for the courses they recommend?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back