News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Ryzewski

Ducking in on the line (OT)
« on: July 05, 2008, 02:46:19 AM »
I play with a guy who has the habit of lurking near the line of a fellow competitor's putt. After the stroke he rushes in front of the player so he can lean over the line to observe the break.

I scolded him, citing etiquette. His response was; "Mickelson does it".

Was I justified in my behavior?

Bill
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:13:54 AM by Bill Ryzewski »

Rich Goodale

Re: Ducking in on the line (OT)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:14:46 AM »
Bill

I see nothing wrong with inching over to get a look, but if you distract the person putting, who is also gathering information (such as speed, how a return putt might break, etc.) after he hits the putt, you are violating the principles of etiquette, IMO

Rich

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:04:33 AM »
He "ducks in front of you?" He doesn't go behind you? He goes behind I have no problem. If he goes in front after I said something I stop playing with him.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »
He "ducks in front of you?" He doesn't go behind you? He goes behind I have no problem. If he goes in front after I said something I stop playing with him.

What he said.

A lot of people take a step or two to get a look after the putt is hit. If your guy is stepping in front of your vision in watching your own putt, he is an idiot.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »
Yeah...its him not you.  He belongs in the douche bag thread.

Bart

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
Yeah...its him not you.  He belongs in the douche bag thread.

Bart

amen
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »

I have learned over time to be careful who I dismiss because their replacement may be worse.  To cast a friend to the side over such a trivial matter reveals a character flaw greater than sneaking a peek at a putt.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
For a game that prides itself on "you against the course" I've always felt this is violation of the spirit of the rules.   Much in the same way that the stymie was removed from matchplay.

I used to do this sort of thing where I would take a quick look from behind the guy after he made his stroke, but then I thought screw it.  While I can still watch the putt from my angle I want to figure this thing out for myself.

Kind fits in the same category with the same rule of not telling your opponent which club you just hit.

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
Thanks to everyone for validation.

My mistake was not advising him of the proper etiquette long before the incident.

Bill

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone for validation.

My mistake was not advising him of the proper etiquette long before the incident.

Bill

How could you have known "long before the incident?"

Jim Johnson

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

To which I would have replied..."And so it's okay because he does it??"

You were more than justified.

Michael Powers

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »
It all depends on the length of the putt.  There is nothing wrong with taking a look on the line after the ball is long gone and the player who  hit the putt is not distracted or affected in any way.
HP

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »
I play with a guy who has the habit of lurking near the line of a fellow competitor's putt. After the stroke he rushes in front of the player so he can lean over the line to observe the break.

Was I justified in my behavior?

Bill

Though he is a great player, Mickelson also gambles too much (on and off the course), carries 5 wedges and no driver, and tends to hit flares to the left under pressure.  None of these things are especially admirable.

Besides, knowing that the guy is lurking and about to move is enough to distract you from full focus on the putt you are about to hit.  You were well within your rights.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
I can't imagine being close enough to someone's line that a mere few steps gives me a view from in front of him.  I would find this behaviour bizarre and I don't recall ever seeing it before.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »
I run into guys all the time that will watch my putt not from directly behind me (because even the biggest ding dongs won't do that, but rather, from the other side of the hole, far past it, usually on the edge of the green (so they can retort "I'm not even on the green", as if that matters).

Me---------------------hole-----------------------------Him

I just stare at them until they leave. 

But they ever try to see how you've aligned your cheater line?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
Standing behind the player is ungentlemanly and as a player you have the right to request he stops.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »
Standing behind the player is ungentlemanly and as a player you have the right to request he stops.

Agreed, either behind or opposite on the line.  I have learned a little hand wave to move that guy on the other side of the hole.  He's more distracting to me than the guy behind you.

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
I grabbed my copy of "Golf Etiquette" by Barbara Puett & Jim Apfelbaum off the shelf to see what they have to say on the matter:

"Golfers should not stand directly behind one another, expecially on the green.  This is common enough in team events, but normally it's considered a distraction and a breach of etiquette.  Standing in front of someone putting, directly on the other side of the hole, is equally egregious.  There will be times when it is advantageous to closely observe the roll of a putt on a similar line, a preview of your own.  To do so, stand to the side out of the golfer's peripheral vision.  Wait until the ball has been stroked, then and only then ease over to watch what happens.  You're fine - as long as you wait until the ball leaves the putter before sliding behind to take a look."

Despite the disagreement between some posters above, I think we can all probably agree you should never do this BETWEEN the putter and the hole.  If that's what happened, as I read it above, then that is a bit much by any reasonable standard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back