News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

I wonder if a golf course has ever hosted one of these eating competitions........ ??? ??? ???

But seriously, is this the most bizarre thing ever?

Of course, I am fully rooting for Joey Chestnut!!!

Competive eaters make us golf geeks look good.

It really stretches the bounds between game and sport.......which is it again???

Is this years battle between Kobayashi and Chestnut gonna be akin to Watson/Nicklaus at Turnberry!!! :o :o  Chestnut eats fast in Coney Island, I have to give him the homecourt edge...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:52:00 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff_Brauer

Re: O/T 4th of July tradition: Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Championship
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
It always tees me off that this gets better TV ratings than hockey. :(
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
I heard a rumor that Tiger was going to show up and dominate this year.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Jeff,

What is your take on the Stars getting Avery?  I don't care much for him at all, but at least my Avs didn't pick him up!  Wonder what it would be like to have him on my team....

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »
Scott...I'd rather have a positive force like a serge gonchar (or back in the day, an ulf samuelsson) than that poor man's tie domi any day.  At least Ulf and gonchar can score goals, kill penalties and pass well...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
I think this is one of the stupidest events extant and to televise it is disgusting.

Bob

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
Jeff,

What is your take on the Stars getting Avery?  I don't care much for him at all, but at least my Avs didn't pick him up!  Wonder what it would be like to have him on my team....

Scott

Its not such a bad thing.  We saw Steve Ott (Avery Jr) get the Ducks and Sharks so far off their game with his yapping that it helped win games.  Avery should do even more, and if he can stay in front of the net like Holstrom does for Detroit, he can be a force. He does need to mature just a bit to improve the team though.  But we will have abrasive forwards on all four lines now, if we choose - Morrow, Avery, Ott and Barch. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
If you think the Nathan's tournament is gross/great, you really have to live in Philly to understand the phenomenon known as Wing Bowl, which happens on a Friday morning every year before the Super Bowl.  A local talk radio station started it back in the early 90's as a joke in response to the Buffalo Bills losing a bunch of SB's in a row (and the Philadelphia Eagles not competing well during those times).

Some things that are really hard to believe about Wing Bowl:

1.  Now held at the Wachovia Center with 20,000+ people attending, the doors open at 6 AM and it is still the largest event for beer sales each year at WC, and they are booked for an event 350+ days a year!  People tailgate through the night till the doors open.  Every stripper within hundreds of miles is there in the stands to, uhh, observe the proceedings.  ;)

2.  When the Black Widow (?Sonya Thomas) won the event about 4 or 5 years ago, some gastroenterologists from Temple University asked her to come by because they wanted to examine her, I guess to do some studies to better understand these competitive eaters.  She declined, and instead went to a diner in South Philly to celebrate, where she ordered a large strawberry milkshake and a plate of wings.  I'm not making this stuff up.

3.  The live coverage of this event every year is must hear radio.  It is so darn funny, IMO.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back