News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Engineers NEW TREE REMOVAL results
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
Having spent 3 years at the club I am certainly biased.  However, I play enough great courses to pass judgement.  Tree issues have diminsihed this course's greatness.  And there is greatness at the highest level here that will continue to be unearthed.
In the meantime, several skyline features have been restored.  And there has been some jungle tree clearance.
This is the back of the 1st green with 3 less trees that had served as a framing mechanism.  The trees in the background are over 60 yards away--lasered at 64 to 70 yards for the closest trees.

This is the 4th green complex without the two trees directly behind the putting surface.

This the front right of the 5th which used to have 3 decent sized trees

You can see the sodded in areas from the tree removal

This is the back of the 6th which has a fence and close neighbor proximity issue.  This is the green complex that formerly had part of the original green located on the right greenside neighbor's property.  Quite a few trees were removed.  Unfortunately, the remaining pines are necessary to protect golfers teeing on the 7th since the hill obscures incoming hooks

This is the 7th without all the framing trees.  The front middle bunker and one of the left bunkers is not original and will possibly be removed in the fall.

A view of the green from the fairway

Significant tree thinning along the right of the 12th fairway bordering the course boundary.

This is the front left of the 15th which used to have some pines which have now been removed.

The back of the 15th which has been cleared and the dirt area has now been seeded with native fescue.  Note the depth of this back bunker--balls hitting the downslope often shot into the jungle tree area that has now been grassed further back and with the fescue now coming in further back.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:14:09 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re: Engineers NEW TREE REMOVAL results
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
A wonderful, underrated golf course. Tree removal will only make it better.

Anthony

grandwazo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Robert,

I played in an outing on Monday and was utterly disapointed to find out I was being shuttled off to play at Glen Head instead of Engineers which is one of my favorite courses in our area.  Glen Head was enjoyable, but being pushed up to what were effectively the ladies tees and the super's decision to not mow the greens changed the course considerably from my last visit less than a month ago for a MGA qualifier tournament.

I am always amazed at the total polarization the greens cause when discussing the course.  At dinner at Engineers Monday evening, after driving back over from Glen Head, the majority of players at our table had spent the day at Engineers and to a man not one of them could handle the greens.  Granted the majority of these players were higher handicap players, but I wonder how you handle this as one of the golf professionals dealing with this issue, keeping in mind the majority of your members fall in to this category.

Personally, I love it.  The challenge is consistent and in my opinion fair as long as the greens are not running off the charts on the stimpmeter.  But I always find it sad that to hear people put down the course and not give it due respect, even after playing it.  The renovation has put in place what I consider to be one of the truly special golf experiences in our area, hard on the heels of Piping Rock and the Creek.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
Robert,
Have you noticed an improvement in turf health?

Great pictures!  Looks like a fantastic golf course!

JimFatsi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »
Robert, you are a fine photographer and a much better player, lets tee it up!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back