News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Wie Forget ...
« Reply #550 on: August 20, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »
Could this topic have longer legs than Merion?

CHrisB

« Reply #551 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »
JKM,
How could Michelle Wie have committed to playing full time on the LPGA Tour 2 or 3 years ago? You have to be 18 years old to be a LPGA member. She's 18 now.

John Moore II

« Reply #552 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

maybe, but not likely. This thread is only half way to the number of Merion posts.

JKM,
How could Michelle Wie have committed to playing full time on the LPGA Tour 2 or 3 years ago? You have to be 18 years old to be a LPGA member. She's 18 now.

She could have, and should have, petitioned the Tour for membership. She was the most marketable female golfer on the planet at the time. They would have been completely stupid not to have given her full exemption. But instead, here we are today.

John_Conley

« Reply #553 on: August 20, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
No, what I meant with the first question is that if someone is going to say she has been successful at winning since the Publinx, please show me the winning results.

Her record is no mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Wie

Did someone say "she has been successful at winning" since Ocean Hammock?

John Moore II

« Reply #554 on: August 20, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »
John Conley--I'm not sure if anyone has said she has totally been successful at winning, but some have said she has been overall successful. And based on her overall promise and potential, I am not sure if I would say she has been totally successful.

John_Conley

« Reply #555 on: August 20, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »
Kenneth, people can obviously disagree about whether multiple Top 5s in Majors and nearly winning other LPGA stops is successful.  You might not think it is.  Others do.  I'm not sure why anyone needs to ask how she's done if they already know.

Guys can make the Ryder Cup team without winning on the PGA Tour.  I'll let you be the judge of whether they're successful.

Has Brett Quigley ever been successful?  (Rhetorical question.  I don't care what you or anyone else decides.  Does he?)

John Moore II

« Reply #556 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »
JC-I was trying to say that if someone thinks she has been winning anything since the Publinx, please show me those results, I have never seen them, and certainly not many others have either. There was a bit of sarcasm involved in what I said. ::)

John_Cullum

« Reply #557 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

In more ways than one
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Conley

« Reply #558 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »
JC-I was trying to say that if someone thinks she has been winning anything since the Publinx, please show me those results, I have never seen them, and certainly not many others have either. There was a bit of sarcasm involved in what I said. ::)

Any sarcasm has been missed.  There's no grey area.  You either did win or you didn't.  The whole world knows she didn't win.

Are you just beating a dead horse like those that said Mickelson "couldn't win a Major" over and over and over again when he simply didn't win a Major?  The good news is he did and those folks had to shut up.  It was plainly obvious he could.  Stewart, Toms, and others kept raining in putts.

Michelle Wie "has had no success in winning" as you put it.

Nobody said she did, so why the 'please show me those results' tack?

I don't get it.

Ken Moum

« Reply #559 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
She should have committed to playing full time on the tour 2 or 3 years ago, and not fiddled around until now.

That might seem like a good idea, but the reality is that the LPGA requires members to be 18 years old, and she didn't turn 18 until last October.

They have given a handful of exemption to that rule, but none before the players graduated from high school.  By the time Wie graduated in the spring of 2007 she was injured, and probably shouldn't have been playing at all.

The LPGA's membership rules, combined with her stubborn determination to play with the men pretty much eliminated most of her options once she turned pro.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Moore II

« Reply #560 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53:43 AM »
Ken--See my response to Chris Brauner, reply #596, I answered that question then.

Ken Moum

« Reply #561 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:24 AM »
Ken--See my response to Chris Brauner, reply #596, I answered that question then.

The LPGA has been pretty firm in its commitment to "protecting" teenagers, so I don't think there's any chance that she'd have been given a pass before she graduated high school.

They refused Creamer, Pressel and the Wonglukiets, Wie wasn't going to break that ground.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #562 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:12 AM »

What is harder to do?

Win a US Womens Amateur or make it to the quarters of the MENS Publinx going through all the qualifying and losing to the eventual champion?

How about win a US Womens Amateur or T3rd at the US Womens Open?

Win an AJGA event or finish 5th in the LPGA Championship?

Win the NCAA Womens tournament or be ranked third in the initial Rolex World Golf Rankings?

And the last one, win everything on the amateur and junior level or finish in the top 5 of  4 straight majors? Which is harder?

Did Ben Curtis benefit from having the amateurs of Ohio stay within 17 shots of him at the 200 0 Ohio Amateur when he won The Open Championship?

Just because Tiger says that winning helped him, doesn't mean that is what everyone else needs to do. He didn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals, but a lot of people did. MW's handlers had her in a great position in 2005 and 2006. She is not burnt out and she has a bunch of money and security. Let the wrist heal, let her play more than 8 tournaments in a year and you will see many wins for MW.

John Moore II

« Reply #563 on: August 21, 2008, 02:13:58 AM »

What is harder to do?

Win a US Womens Amateur or make it to the quarters of the MENS Publinx going through all the qualifying and losing to the eventual champion?

Win the NCAA Womens tournament or be ranked third in the initial Rolex World Golf Rankings?

And the last one, win everything on the amateur and junior level or finish in the top 5 of  4 straight majors? Which is harder?

Did Ben Curtis benefit from having the amateurs of Ohio stay within 17 shots of him at the 200 0 Ohio Amateur when he won The Open Championship?

Just because Tiger says that winning helped him, doesn't mean that is what everyone else needs to do. He didn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals, but a lot of people did. MW's handlers had her in a great position in 2005 and 2006. She is not burnt out and she has a bunch of money and security. Let the wrist heal, let her play more than 8 tournaments in a year and you will see many wins for MW.

Glenn-I really don't have the answers to most of those questions, having never played in any of those tournaments, for the obvious reason that I am, well, a guy. But truthfully, do you think Wie was ever really the number 3 player in the world? Really...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #564 on: August 21, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

What is harder to do?

Glenn-I really don't have the answers to most of those questions, having never played in any of those tournaments, for the obvious reason that I am, well, a guy. But truthfully, do you think Wie was ever really the number 3 player in the world? Really...

Fine. What do you THINK is harder then? Absolutely, I think she was in the top 3 of the world. She finished in top 5 of 4 straight major while not a member of the tour and playing all around the world in different kinds of events with different circumstances. I assume you realize how physically talented you have to be to not let the mental strain get to you in those situations.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #565 on: August 21, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
Chris, Ken:

Wake up folks.

The answer is a simple one -- the LPGA gave Michelle entrance to their tour's championship when she was an amateur (pressure from McDonald's sure speeded things along) -- they could have done the same thing with tour membership irrespective of her age at that time.

The reality is that the tour was likely fearful that they would offer her membership but that Team Wie would publicly decline and leave the LPGA brass wiping of egg on their faces.

The LPGA didn't want to be seen as a second fiddle to the plans Team Wie had set in motion. They wanted the full commitment so that Wie would be under their rules and regs.

If Wie had made the cut in the men's event in Hawaii her overall leverage would have been so great to make that offer highly likely.  Even then it is problematic that team Wie would have accepted without some sort of other conditions being thrown into the picture.

If anything -- the LPGA brass is in better position now because the Michelle Wie aura has been diminished because of her recent poor play and the inane thinking that Team Wie (namely her father) have operated during that time frame. For Michelle -- that means LPGA membership and the Tour now doesn't have to extend itself so far as to cause internal commotions with its rank and file players.

JESII

« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
Yeah Matt, they would probably hate to have her as a member...

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »
An honest question...

Can anyone explain how the LPGA could let Michelle attend LPGA Tour School and QUALIFY for her Tour card if she wouldn't be allowed to use it and play on tour?

JESII

« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »
What makes you think it could happen?

George Pazin

« Reply #569 on: August 21, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »
An honest question...

Can anyone explain how the LPGA could let Michelle attend LPGA Tour School and QUALIFY for her Tour card if she wouldn't be allowed to use it and play on tour?

The PGA Tour did it to Ty Tryon, and I'd argue it has cost him greatly.

Damn nice couple of posts, Glenn.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ken Moum

« Reply #570 on: August 21, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
Chris, Ken:

Wake up folks.

The answer is a simple one -- the LPGA gave Michelle entrance to their tour's championship when she was an amateur (pressure from McDonald's sure speeded things along) -- they could have done the same thing with tour membership irrespective of her age at that time.

Sure they could have, but there's nothing in their other actions to suggest they would have.

If anything -- the LPGA brass is in better position now because the Michelle Wie aura has been diminished because of her recent poor play and the inane thinking that Team Wie (namely her father) have operated during that time frame.

FWIW, at least one person who knows the family says it isn't dad, it's mom. And recent statements by her and her dad sound like she's a stubborn teenager who is ignoring her adult advisors. After all, she's 18, and is the primary income in the family....

John Moore II

« Reply #571 on: August 21, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
An honest question...

Yes, Ty Tryon is pretty much done these days. Hopefully that will not happen to Wie.

Glenn-Its most likely harder to finish top 5 at a Womens Open than to win a womens Am. But guess what...the winner of the Am is a WINNER, the 5th place finisher in the Womens Open (without any other wins) is simply a talented loser. I'd rather have a winner on my side.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #572 on: August 21, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I never would have thought one girl could have gotten so many people's knickers in a twist.  18 pages and counting. Just don't see what the big deal is and the over-analysis of it all.

In the end, she got paid, she got over on the system and you didn't.  Is there really any more to all of this than that??  ;D

John Moore II

« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I never would have thought one girl could have gotten so many people's knickers in a twist.  18 pages and counting. Just don't see what the big deal is and the over-analysis of it all.

In the end, she got paid, she got over on the system and you didn't.  Is there really any more to all of this than that??  ;D

I might like to get over on her ;D :-*

George Pazin

« Reply #574 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
An honest question...

Yes, Ty Tryon is pretty much done these days. Hopefully that will not happen to Wie.

Glenn-Its most likely harder to finish top 5 at a Womens Open than to win a womens Am. But guess what...the winner of the Am is a WINNER, the 5th place finisher in the Womens Open (without any other wins) is simply a talented loser. I'd rather have a winner on my side.

Don't you think it's a bit much to call someone who finishes 5th in a major a loser? Do you really believe top 5s don't mean anything?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back