News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Thoughts on Interlachen
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
Just thought I'd start a thread about the course, even though I haven't seen any of the recent play.

Please share your thoughts/observations. I recall liking what I saw during the Solheim Cup a few years back a lot, seems like an underrated course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Krueger

Re: Thoughts on Interlachen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:19:23 AM »
I have been fortunate to have played it 3 times, it is a wonderful old golf course with a great atmosphere. It has been about 10 years since I last played it and at that time I remember that it could use some tree reduction. Seeing it on TV yesterday it looks like that may still be the case but it has been a while since I've been there.

It is a beautiful place that is always in top notch condition and boy you better stay below the hole. They have reversed the nines which has really screwed with me when watching the tournament.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
Widely considered the best in Minnesota.  I've only played it a couple of times and am not sure where I would rank it in the state.  I've always felt a bit cramped on the course because there are a lot of trees.  I'm not sure cutting them down would be a wise move, however because the course truly requires one to think off the tee as it is now.

It should be an entertaining tournament venue.  With five par fives and a lot of short par fours there are a ton of birdie opportunities.  Nonetheless, the greens are pretty severe, and usually elevated.  The members report that the rough is difficult.   Many of the par fours require you to turn the ball one way or another around trees if you are going to hit driver.   

I would expect players to both shoot low scores and shoot high numbers if the course stays dry and the weather sunny.  It looks like it might rain today.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »
Is anyone surprise they are playing this a par-73? I thought the USGA would want a par-71 maybe with reduction of two of the par-5s. It doesn't bother me; low score wins. Should Mike Davis be lauded for leaving it as is?

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Is anyone surprise they are playing this a par-73? I thought the USGA would want a par-71 maybe with reduction of two of the par-5s. It doesn't bother me; low score wins. Should Mike Davis be lauded for leaving it as is?

Tony, the problem with trying to convert the 5s to 4s is that they don't lend themselves to it.

#1 (Open #10) used to be a par 4 (I'm told) with the green short of the lake.  Now that the green is not there it wouldn't work as a 2-shotter.

#4 (#13) would require a tee up from the corner of the property and leave an usual blind tee shot - I suppose you could do this.

#9 (#18) doesn't have enough room left of the lake to be called a 4 even if the tee is up.

#11 (#2) was played as a 4 in the 1993 Walker Cup and the members played it as a 4 for a while.  The landing area doesn't fit unless they remove the trees.  Not only that, I made 2 here once and it isn't right to turn my double-eagle hole into a par 4.

#12 (#3) elevated green, too long, wouldn't work.

Par 72 if you move up on #11.  More likely for the men.  I don't see getting a 71 out of it.

I've said it many times.  This is a PERFECT venue for the ladies.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »
I've said it many times.  This is a PERFECT venue for the ladies.

So the 20th century man is now the 21st century woman! ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:37:11 AM »
I'll be out there tomorrow. One interesting thing that I read recently is that the women are playing it this week at a longer distance than the men did for the 1930 US Open.

Not sure what that means (if anything), but I thought it was interesting.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 01:53:06 AM »
Interlachen is a wonderful old course and an absolute treat to play.  Too short for the men's Open,  it is perfect for the ladies.  My other U.S. Open courses that I think would also be great for the women would be St. Louis, and Canterbury. BTW,  of the other two Open courses in Minnesota,  I thoroughly enjoyed Minikahda,  much more than Hazeltine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back