News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Prairie Club & Alberta Dunes
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
What I missed the first time around is that, according to the article posted by Tony, Prairie Dunes will now be a private club, with some public play for the first few years.  Wasn't the original plan for a resort?  I guess unattached plebians like me will have to swoop in early. 

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:33 PM »

Tim,

That is a departure from what Mark A. said earlier on this thread, I hope it is not true.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »
Tim,
    That is a departure from what Mark A. said earlier on this thread, I hope it is not true.

“The Prairie Club will offer reasonably priced memberships, and will be open to the public until memberships are sold out. Public play will then be on a limited basis”, Schock said.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »

Chip,

Mark A. said this last month "The Prairie Club is a destination golf retreat which will be open for public play as well as having very affordable memberships for sale to those who would like to be members. "   All along this has been touted as something that would be a public resort and this seems to be a shift away from that.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
Tim, it is new owners. Things change.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
Not speaking for Mark and Paul, but having heard many great things about them, I'd guess that the spirit of the Prairie Club will be to let as many people enjoy it as possible. That said, members may have the "right of way" most of the time, but if you want to come play I'd think there would be a place for you.

Ron Farris

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
I am going to stick my neck out and say that The Prairie Club is going to have more appeal than The Sand Hills Golf Club, when it is all said and done. I was at the site a couple of weeks ago and if they don't build any goofy green complexes it will be wonderful. 

Tom Doak commented that it was one of the better sites he has toured. It has an interesting Fishing component that is unparalleled in the region and views that are unbelievable for Nebraska. 

Public or Private ---- You will want to find a away to get there at least once in your life, IMHO.  But, then a again I root for the Cornhuskers, no matter what! 

I saw Paul about 10 days ago and the membership will be quite reasonable.

GBR

Tim Pitner

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
Tim, it is new owners. Things change.

Adam,

I understand that; I was just noting the change that hadn't been discussed here by Mark.  Earlier, I read that The Prairie Club was intended to be something like the Bandon of the Midwest, which had me pretty excited.  Of course, the project still sounds very promising , but if they close play to visitors after a few years (similar to Sand Hills), it will be less relevant to me. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
After spending some time with Mark a few weeks ago talking about their plans there I completely concur with Ron's statements. It sounds like a special opportunity and vision they have...

Even living in DC The Prairie Club has a very strong appeal to me.  With more than one course, lodging on site it just sounds like a fabulous place to be associated. 

I can't wait to see it grow.

Has anyone looked at the updated pictures, man they look fantastic: http://destgolfventures.com/photo_gallery.php

WOW!  Sign me up

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
Ron:  Your neck is out there pretty far, might want to take out some insurance.  Sand Hills is pretty good.

I did say the site was spectacular, but that comment was made about the site we looked at which included using the canyon rim for several holes.  The dunes are good, too, but no more or less spectacular than a lot of other stuff I've driven by out there.

P.S.  I don't especially appreciate it when I go to look at a site and tell them it's really good, then they hire another architect, and someone uses MY quote to tell everyone what great potential it has.  The same thing happened with Erin Hills, and I asked them politely to cease and desist.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
I didn't know they had a photo gallery up on a  website up.  The aerials really show off the terrain and how spectacular it is. 

It strikes me after reading TDs comment, that we may be seeing the begining of an epic - monster GCA.com thread in the year 2108.  If TD did a stick drawing of a potential routing, and I know that Gil and Geoff have extensive routings, which may be on slightly different parcel boundaries than the current designers, yet if even a hole or two corridors match slightly with the previous routings, can you imagine what endless debates the great grandsons of Moriarity, MacWood, Morrison and TEPaul will get into?!!!  :o ::) ;D

Hopefully you all take it as humor.  I have every confidence in Mark to ramrod a great project.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ron Farris

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »
Tom,
Sorry for commenting that you commented that it was a good site.  That is unfair and inconsiderate of me.  My comment was meant to be about the APPEAL of the project, not specifically the golf course architecture.  That part is yet to be accomplished and it clearly has the opportunity for a pop-up to the second baseman instead of a home run.  And yes, that is where my neck is out and thus the need for insurance. 

There is no doubt that you would have designed and built a fabulous course.  Heck, I think even I would have done a fine job on this site, albeit more agressive with the rim.  Did you ever speak with Mr. Schock? 

The appeal will obviously be the canyon views and I trust the accomodations will be reflective of people involved - nice and reflective of the environment. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
RJ:  For the record, I never drew anything on paper for that site, just walked it with Jim Urbina and put something together on foot.  So there's no way anybody used any of my ideas there.

Ron:  No, I never spoke with Paul Shock about the project ... once Gil and Geoff were on board, I didn't want to be accused of tampering.  I'm just sensitive about people quoting me, about the quality of a project that competes with one of ours.  One reason architects get paid is for their contribution to the p.r. effort, so I hope they'll stick with whatever quotes Tom Lehman has about the site.

Ron Farris

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Tom,

Real shame that Paul didn't speak with you when they went looking for other designer.

I think you two would have hit it off. 

I cease and desist!

Jason Hines

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »
“The Prairie Club will offer reasonably priced memberships, and will be open to the public until memberships are sold out. Public play will then be on a limited basis”, Schock said.

Does this mean that our GCA.com course is back on?!  I am still in until I join one of the privates...... and then I know none of you of course. ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:40:21 PM by Jason Hines »

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
It is always interesting to read the threads that pop up when there is really not a lot of information offered that is truly correct.

I will try and relate some FACTS about the Prairie Club so those interested can understand what is happening.

There are two courses being built, one designed by Tom Lehman which will be located in the larger dunes and one by Graham Marsh which will be located in the smaller dunes and the pine forest remnants of the Snake River Canyon.  Neither course will have holes that run right up to the canyon rim and I will leave that fact for debate by those of you who understand golf course architecture better than I do.  Both golf courses are under construction and the goal is to have both of them completed and grassed by the end of September.  Gil Hanse, Geoff Shackelford, and Jim Wagner will design and build a very unique set of par 3 holes and an interesting putting course, both of which will be done by mid September.  The club will open in the spring of 2010 and we may invite some of you out for a sneak preview in the fall of 2009.

The club will be a combo private/public.  We will sell very reasonably priced memberships ($15,000 or so to start) and we will also allow and encourage public play.  We will grow the membership in the coming years and will modify the business model as we go.  The club may at some point move towards being private but Paul Schock, the primary owner, has committed to always allowing some public play (read my lips, if you are a golf enthusiast you will have an opportunity to play The Prairie Club)

We believe the model described above will allow for all persons interested in coming to do so and those who decide to make a stronger commitment to the club by purchasing a membership will enjoy certain rights others may not.

We will be posting pictures as time goes on and will be growing our web site as we progress through the summer.  I hope this clears up some things and allows everyone to become current with the FACTS.

Regards:  Mark Amundson

Jason Hines

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
Mark,

Sounds like you are leaving all your options open as you go forward.  Don't blame you.  FWIW, in the long run this type of project is more appealing to me personally as a private.

J.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:17:56 PM by Jason Hines »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the additional information and clarification. 

BTW, I hope you didn't think I was spreading rumors; I was just noting what was reported in the article Tony posted. 

Matt Varney

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »
Mark,

Great communication on what is going on with your project and I look forward to seeing construction images of The Prairie Club courses.  Go ahead and sign me up to come out for a sneak preview in 2009.

Regards,
Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back