News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Wild Rock - Wisconsin
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
New Hurdzan-Fry course in Wisconsin.  Anyone played it?  Impressions?

www.wildrockgolf.com

Phil McDade

Re: Wild Rock - Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »
Can't imagine a course with a tougher opening. The course, widely promoted in these parts, is in the Wisconsin Dells area, which was absolutely deluged with record rains this month, just as the summer high season was beginning -- roads into the Dells area (including the Interstate) are just now open after lots of delays.

The Milwaukee paper liked it (but they like anything w/ 18 holes and grass....).

Haven't played; I lack a boat. Am trying to get up there, but it may not be until fall.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:50:21 PM »
Phil,
That would most likely be the Milwaukee Journal or Milwaukee Sentinel.  I grew up in New Berlin and I have very fond memories of that place.

Shivas,
Brats in the Dells with a new golf course... hmm, might have to join you on that one!

You're right, that's a tough way to open a new course.  On Wisconsin!

- Peter

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
Phil,
That would most likely be the Milwaukee Journal or Milwaukee Sentinel.  I grew up in New Berlin and I have very fond memories of that place.

- Peter

Peter:

Have you played New Berlin Hills? Interesting true muni, which Milwaukee (other than Brown Deer and Naga-waukee) really lacks. Some bland holes, but I liked some of the greens. Used to be a local qualifying course when the PGA tour stop was at nearby Tuckaway in Franklin, I heard.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the responses...Will be in Madison at the end of September and have 2 days for golf.  Thought I'd give Wild Rock a try and also play Lawsonia.  Don't feel like driving all the way to Greywalls, the Kohler courses are way too much.  Erin Hills isn't reasonable either and will wait to the changes are made.  Do those two make sense?  I'm sure Lawsonia does.  Is there another course that you would substitute given that Wild Rock is not known?  ....thanks

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »
To my cheeseheaded pals, my banking school gig in Madison is August 12th so I could be available Monday afternoon, August 11th to check this place out, flights permitting.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses...Will be in Madison at the end of September and have 2 days for golf.  Thought I'd give Wild Rock a try and also play Lawsonia.  Don't feel like driving all the way to Greywalls, the Kohler courses are way too much.  Erin Hills isn't reasonable either and will wait to the changes are made.  Do those two make sense?  I'm sure Lawsonia does.  Is there another course that you would substitute given that Wild Rock is not known?  ....thanks

Cliff:

Well, Lawsonia is certainly worth your time if you've never played it. Given what you've ruled out, I'd go with Wild Rock, if only to give the GCA board something new to talk about! It may depend on where you're coming from, and how far you're willing to travel. I keep hearing very good things about Pete Dye's Big Fish, but it's in Hayward, a fairly decent hike from anywhere. Lawsonia and Wild Rock are a very easy pair, doable perhaps in a day (they are about an hour from each other).

I like RTJ's Spring Green course, routed through some nice valleys and terrain, but Spring Green is more of a hike to Green Lake, home of Lawsonia. A real below-the-radar course in these parts is Old Hickory in Beaver Dam, part-Bendelow and part-someone else over good terrain. Good enough course to host the Wisconsin State Am. this year. Old Hickory is quite convenient to Lawsonia.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
Old Hickory is an interesting course.  You can see the old Bendelow nine and I think it is very close to original design.  The other nine is Billy Sixty (you all know who he was...  ::) ;D )

If you are just wanting to stay in Madison, the John Harbottle III course (Hawk's Landing) has gotten mixed reviews.  Phil has probably played it. 

If you didn't need to return to Madison both nights, and you want a reasonable price and decent place to play, try my home course in Green Bay, and stay in GB overnight.  (Brown Co GC)  You wouldn't be disappointed.  If you wanted to see something unique, and do an emergency extra 9, you could check out Rick Jacobsen's unique 9 holer that has two greens on each hole to play a round in twice for two different 18 holes.  It isn't great individual hole designs, just sporty, but unique. 

If you are anethma to paying over $100 to play, all the top hearlded courses are pretty much over that in mid season.  Quic Qui Oc is another low priced, low expectations course, yet interesting 9 holes by Bende. 

A few more interesting courses in the Kettle Morraine region including Washington County, NagaWaukee, The bog, etc.

But, even though I think like you that Erin Hills costs too much, it might be interesting to pony up the cash to see it now, in order to get a sense of the controversies that have been discussed on blindness of many holes, and then have an idea of what the new direction will be in order to make it a top USGA venue.  Spending a little extra cash along with a nice regional dinner like Mike H., and I did last year isn't a bad thing, once in a while...  ;) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
Again thanks...If it wasn't for GCA I would likely have never heard or played of many of the courses I have played recently - World Woods, Tobacco Road, Prouts Neck and now looking forward to Lawsonia.  My daughter recently moved to Madison so I will be back after this initial visit.  BTW the current Links magazine's cover story is on Wisconsin golf.  Nothing earth shattering but always of interest.

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
I'm planning on playing wild rock on Sunday afternoon. If anybody is interested in joining me, shoot me an im. There's nothing better than playing Sunday afternoon after the Open. 

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
Jim...Please post your impressions.  thanks

Brad Swanson

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
Jim,
   I'm tempted to join you, but you may want to check the weather before committing to your round up there.  We're due for another round of flooding rains up that direction the next few days.  Last time that happened, you wouldn't have even been able to get there as I94 was closed.

Cheers,
Brad

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
I'm planning on playing wild rock on Sunday afternoon. If anybody is interested in joining me, shoot me an im. There's nothing better than playing Sunday afternoon after the Open. 

Jim....wondering if you got out to Wild Rock?

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
Jim,

I didn't end up playing this past weekend.  They were simply charging too much money out there, $125 for non-resort guests, plus I had a golf opportunity open up for Monday morning.  They had a $95 twilight rate after 3:00, but that was still too much and too late to work logistically for me.  I checked the online tee times and they were only 20% full for the day on Sunday.  I gotta believe the area is hurting.  I just didn't feel compelled to pay full fare out there.  I'll try to go back during the week, but probably not until next year.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »
Good for you Jim!!  We have to start refusing to pay such rediculous fees for average courses, or even high acclaim ones.  $125 is outrageous for the area or the conditions one might expect in the wake of the excessive wet times we are having.  I can't imagine having anything but 'buyers regret' had you plunked down the ping to play. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »
End of September looked good as a tourist.  $99 a nite for a room and greens fees.  I'll be with my wife so for $200 seems quite reasonable.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
Jim,

I didn't end up playing this past weekend.  They were simply charging too much money out there, $125 for non-resort guests, plus I had a golf opportunity open up for Monday morning.  They had a $95 twilight rate after 3:00, but that was still too much and too late to work logistically for me.  I checked the online tee times and they were only 20% full for the day on Sunday.  I gotta believe the area is hurting.  I just didn't feel compelled to pay full fare out there.  I'll try to go back during the week, but probably not until next year.

wow, only 20% full...be interesting to see if they lower that rate, this year or next

i guess the other "name " course up there is Trappers Turn, which charges $94 for 18 on Saturdays, $124 for 27 holes and $148 for 36 holes...and $65 for twilight

Jim you played Trappers?  I haven't and have never heard any buzz about it, which can't be a good thing...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
Paul:

Trappers Turn is a fine course -- certainly a notch below the Kohler-area courses and a few others in Wisconsin, but well-done and not terribly gimicky. It's an Andy North-Roger Packard design (Roger is the son of Lawrence, who did a bunch of Midwestern courses), and it falls into the category of a course that can challenge good players from the back tees but is playable for the high-handicapper. It has three nines, with the newest nine coming on board about 6-8 years after the original nine. Part of the original 18 winds around some wetlands and dips into a canyon of sorts, with a nice drop-shot par 3 in a secluded neck of the woods.

I'm loathe to get into a pricing debate on this and other courses in Wisconsin, if only because I still have a hard time reconciling how all of these high-end courses can survive in a state known for its cheapskate Germans! I haven't been back to TTurn in several years, largely out of price considerations. TTurn and I'm sure Wild Rock are promoting themselves to the tourism crowd in the Dells, but this summer season has been a tough one for the area because of flooding and major lake (full of resorts and attractions) that doesn't exist anymore.

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
Wild Rock did have a pretty nice deal in the papers for locals, something like $50-$55.  My original plan was to play Monday morning, ideally with my in-laws who have a place in the area, but that all fell through, and I had something else open up.  So my options were 1. play Wild Rock for $125 at 1:30 on Sunday, 2. play Trappers Turn for $95 or so, 3. play Wild Rock at 3:00 pm for $95, 4. drive an hour or so down the road and play University Ridge at 3:00 pm for $49, or 5. drive back to Chicago.  I chose option #5, probably because I was already playing the next day.  Without that, University Ridge would've been the best option in terms of value and timing.  If I had a confirmation from someone other than Gary D'Amato from the Milwaukee paper that Wild Rock was indeed a top 5 course, then I would've felt more compelled to see for myself.  I felt like telling the guy over the phone, 'look, you're 20% full on a Sunday in the middle of the summer.  I'll give you $65.'

I know Wild Rock offers deals for its resort guests (as does Trappers I'm assuming now that it's owned by the Kalahari Resort), but it's hard to make the numbers work.  The rooms are expensive because they have the costs of the giantic waterparks embedded in them.  To get the most bang for the buck, you pay $450 or whatever for one night of the room but two full days at the waterpark.  There's an opportunity cost for shipping off for 5 hours to play golf during your stay.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
Paul,
   Regarding Trapper's Turn, Phil pretty much hit the nail on the head IMHO.  Its a very fine course, but, for this thrifty Swede, its a little out of my price range when a $35 or less twilight fee awaits at Lawsonia Links.

Cheers,
Brad

Bruce Leland

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
New Hurdzan-Fry course in Wisconsin.  Anyone played it?  Impressions?

www.wildrockgolf.com
Cliff, I haven't played the course but spent 2 days there recently when my daughter played it in the  annual Minnesota vs. Wisconsin Junior Cup Matches.  We followed the matches both days so my impressions are from walking/riding the course.

First impressions, the routing and separation between holes virtually require that you take a golf car.  The first tee and 18th green are a good 5 minute cart ride from the clubhouse.  Having said that, it's on a beautiful piece of property with dramatic elevation changes and movement to the land (see the Steepest Cart Paths thread).  I was told that the owner of the Wilderness Resort bought the property sight unseen knowing that he needed to improve their golf facilities.  This statement surprised me as the parcel is in relatively close proximity to the existing golf course.

I've played a number of H/F courses in their annual WIC tournament the past few years and some of the holes at Wild Rock bear some similarity to  holes at Turner Hill, Shelter Harbor and Georgian Bay.  I mean this as high praise.  Visually, there are a number of striking holes and it's a very playable course from the tee with relatively wide landing areas and some middle of the fairway directional bunkers.  Strategically, it's a second shot golf course with decisions to be made on a few of the 5 pars as they pinch in with hazards or directional land forms nearer the green.

A few of the green complexes seem a bit extreme and contrived in terms of the contouring and "pinable" areas.  For the most part, however, the severity and playability of the greens are in harmony with the demands of the approaches.

I particularly liked the 6th, 8th, 10th, 13th and 15th.  The 6th is a 588 yard par 5 that plays down and then uphill to a very shallow green.  The view from the rear two tee boxes is stunning.  The 8th is a 433 yard par four out of a chute that plays to a challenging second shot to a green with a spine running down the center.  Miss it on the wrong side and two putting is no easy task. 

The 10th is another great par 5 that features one of the biggest cuts during construction.  Thirty feet was cut from the landing area which features 2 center of the fairway directional bunkers.   The hole plays as a dogleg right uphill all the way from the landing area at 567 yards and features another breathtaking view back down the fairway from the green.

The 13th plays as one of the toughest second shots on the course after a demanding tee shot.  The quarry guards the left side of the green and at 453 yards requires an accurate mid iron approach to a difficult tiered green.  The 15th was my favorite par 3 and plays over the quarry from elevated tees.  Bail out area to the left of the green but short or right is dead.

I've played Trapper's Turn and will return to play Wild Rock.  Hard to say without actually striking a shot but I believe that The Rock will more than hold its own.   I think the Dells has a winner in this course and am anxious to hear what others feel once they have played it. 

"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the report.  I'm looking forward to playing it in September along with Lawsonia.  Two very different courses I suspect. The $99 a nite for one with lodging and golf does seem like a good deal from your report.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »

I can't wait to get up there ... I haven't seen Gormie in years and I'm tickled pink that he landed what appears to be a great gig back in Wisconsin.

Wow! I haven't seen him in years either (I can't remember which of us left Orlando first). When I saw you mention "Gormie" I knew you could only be talking about one person. If you do run into him, tell him I said hello.

David Lott

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
As a former full time Cheesehead (Milwaukee) and now a summer resident Cheesehead (Sturgeon Bay), my guess is the price will have to come down on this one if they want to get a lot of play from other than resort guests. There are tons of enjoyable golf courses in Wisconsin of less than elite standard in maintenance and design, and they are not very expensive. Unless someone can persuade me that this course is something special, I'd be unwilling to pop $125 for a round. Cheeseheads aren't big spenders, by and large.
David Lott

David Schofield

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:59:14 PM »
I played Wild Rock today and enjoyed it (despite a 40-55=95...)

I have to say i was perplexed by the routing.  I couldn't get my bearings from the course map on the back of the scorecard until after Hole #4, when I realized that they must have moved the location for the clubhouse sometime during construction.  I assume the clubhouse was originally planned to be constructed somewhere near the completed but unused driving range between Holes 4 & 5 (and 16 & 17). 

In the end, I think I understand why they gave up on constructing the clubhouse in that location.  First, I can't envision either of the two holes leaving that location being a starting hole.  Hole 5 is a short par 4 (I almost drove the green it with a so-so drive).  Hole 16 is also a short par 4.  Hole 14 might have been a good starting hole (par 5 with a generous fairway width), but that would have made Hole 15 the second hole which I can't imagine would have been a good idea.  Second, it doesn't appear that they had any room for parking at that location.

The clubhouse as it currently exists looks fairly new, but it's possible that they just remodeled the clubhouse from the old course(s?). 

Anyone have any better information than my assumptions and conjecture?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:55:25 AM by David Schofield »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back