News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Re: Witnessing a Hole-in-One
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
My best memory of witnessing a hole in one was Sunday at the PGA at Winged Foot that Davis Love won.  Arrived at the course and wanted to take a look at the 10th as it is well known.  As we got there Ernie Els was on the tee.  Swung - in the hole.  Guess the hole is overrated.

John_Cullum

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 05:40:49 PM »
I do now claim to have made what I call a Huckaby at the nearby par 3 course.

I do not count it.

I have seen at least one legitimate hole in one
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
John:

I am honored to have something be named after me.  Let this be my contribution to the great game of golf.  A drawn in under the wind punch 8iron from 134 to a pin tucked hard against a water hazard, said shot going in the hole, is a Huckaby.  I like it.

TH

John_Cullum

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »
TH

My Huckaby was not nearly as dramatic, a 105 yard downwind knock down gap wedge over a fronting bunker. A very skillfully executed shot, but alas, only a Huckaby.

I did think of you when it went in though, Schmidt too.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »
TH

My Huckaby was not nearly as dramatic, a 105 yard downwind knock down gap wedge over a fronting bunker. A very skillfully executed shot, but alas, only a Huckaby.

I did think of you when it went in though, Schmidt too.

Again I feel honored.

But you didn't make a Huckaby.

You made an Ace.  Congratulations.

TH

tlavin

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:23 PM »
If a Huckaby is a hole-in-one on a par-3 course, then a hole-in-three (as I've experienced) should be called a "Schmuckaby".

I am proud to have a Schmuckaby on my golf resume.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
If a Huckaby is a hole-in-one on a par-3 course, then a hole-in-three (as I've experienced) should be called a "Schmuckaby".

This is getting better and better.

Just don't take these rhymes of my name too far.  Kids read this forum.  I think.

;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »

I have one of those...12 at Bulls bay.  Worst par I ever made...or atleast most disappointing...

Where was yours?

JohnV

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
I'm not sure how many I've seen, but it is quite a few, probably at least 8 or 9.  But I spend a lot of time sitting around watching players go round in circles.  We set a record on the Futures Tour for aces one year that I was working.

The best story was that two years in a row on Memorial Day, I was playing with someone who aced the second hole at Witch Hollow.  Needless to say I was very popular the next year.

I've yet to have one.  But I do have my albatross from last year to keep me company.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
I'm not sure how many I've seen, but it is quite a few, probably at least 8 or 9.  But I spend a lot of time sitting around watching players go round in circles.  We set a record on the Futures Tour for aces one year that I was working.

The best story was that two years in a row on Memorial Day, I was playing with someone who aced the second hole at Witch Hollow.  Needless to say I was very popular the next year.

I've yet to have one.  But I do have my albatross from last year to keep me company.

John,

Albys don't count on 400 yard par 5's played from the womens tees.   ;D

On a serious note though, a poll for the thread.

Would you rather have a HIO or an albatross on your resume?

Kalen

Phil McDade

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
Kalen:

An ace, by far (and isn't that odd, as the albatross is I believe statistically much more rare, or at least it is among the PGA crowd).

Reef Wilson

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
Wouldn't the ideal be both HIO and albatross in the same shot? Hole your drive on a short par four.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
I love the nickname, my best friend got his  "Huckaby" first and since I got my regulation HIO the year before last I have been giving him a hard time about his not really counting. Now I have a name for his.
Tom, maybe you can start a plaque company for par three courses! Get your Huckaby's! ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
Have witnessed three, seen one, made one (not the one I saw; the one I made was beyond a cross-green ridge at the front of a false back, and I saw the ball disappear from sight ... but I'd seen that several times on that hole, and had always found the ball over the back).

My cousin Charlie's, at Sutton Bay No. 13 (a long drop-shot par-3) went right into the sun, and we all lost it. We knew it was a good shot -- but spent several minutes searching all around till we thought to look in the cup.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Smolens

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »
I have four, saw the last two go in, and witnessed a 3 (a "schumckaby"?) at Desert Mountain by a pro I was with (chunk into canyon, retee and jar).

David_Elvins

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 08:33:49 PM »
THis is slightly unusual.

I haven't had an ace but have hit the hole 4 times.  Two of these occurances were 5 holes apart and the other two 9 holes apart. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

RichMacafee

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
I have witnessed 10 and only made 1 myself! I've also witnessed a 2 on a par 5.

3 years in a row, playing in our State Amateur, one of my playing partners had a hole-in-one playing with me! 3 years straight in the same tournament - talk about lucky charm.

David.E. - if you hadn't faked that leg injury at Barnbougle to get out of playing with me you probably would have had a hole-in-one ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:38:11 PM by RichMacafee »
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

John_Cullum

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
I don't even want to try to count how many times I have hit the flagstick, I am indeed cursed

Grant Saunders

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »
I have probably witnessed about 6 or 7 and not had one myself.

For the most part, it seems the ones I have seen were pretty poor shots that got fortunate bounces or spent most of the journey along the ground.

I have hit the flag many times and have holed out with every club from an 8 - LW on par fours.

It used to bother me not having had one but then I shot a course record and that means more to me having hit 63 good shots than just one.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 02:38:04 AM »
Well, I've had 7 including one on a par 4 but it was not till no.6 that I actually witnessed it going in the hole.
 I have only once seen a hole in one from another person.

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »
I've only had one proper ace on a 235 yarder with driver in hand.  I saw it go in, but I didn't believe it.  The coolest one I ever witnessed was at Murcar's 16th.  The ball went straight into the hole with a low rattle.  My immediate response (and I don't know why I shouted) was "Its in the hole!".  Nobody believed me, they all thought it hit the pin and went off the green.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matthew Rose

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:25 AM »

Only two, both of which were mine. They were about 8 months apart, when I was in my late teens.

I'm just glad I had witnesses to both... I played a lot of golf by myself and had always hoped I wouldn't make one when I was alone.

I made the first one at Rick Smith's course at Treetops (the first one); it was a family golf trip and both of my parents witnessed it with me. It was fun to watch because it rolled right up to the lip of the hole and stopped for a minute before just dropping in.... perfect weight.

Later in the round we saw Rick driving around in a cart with his dog, and he stopped and chatted to us.... I got him to sign the scorecard. My dad worked in corporate real estate at the time and was a fairly close acquaintance of Rick's brother, so he knew Rick a bit from a few conventions his company had had at Grand Cypress.

The second one was in a high school meet; it was also the first time I ever broke 80. I went out in 43 (more or less what I usually shot in those days) and then came in in 36 (with a neat double-bogey on the last hole). I hit three iron approaches inside six inches in the span of 7 holes. One of those weird moments of perfect zen-like focus that I haven't ever had before or since.

My grandfather is the only other person in our family to have made an ace, and he also has two. He made both of them in his 50s.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

David Lott

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
I'll throw my ace out there for verification. I was playing a regulation course in a "golf marathon" as a fundraiser. We were playing three balls at a time on the par-3s. On the 11th hole at my home course, I hit three balls in succession to 8-feet, 4-feet and in the hole. I scored six on the hole for the three balls. If that doesn't count, I don't have one.

I can beat that. I scored 8 on the four par threes at Blue Mound one day. An ace, two 2's and a 3.

It's still my only ace, and I did not see it go in, as the hole was behind a rise in the green.
David Lott

David Lott

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »
Note, also, that this thread is now right next to "Paired with A Douche Bag."

Appropriate.
David Lott

Richard Boult

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
I feel pretty fortunate to have witnessed 5 aces already in my 3 years of play -- 2 mine, 3 from others -- and 3 of those 5 all on the same hole!

I saw my 1st, but found my 2nd after getting to the green. I think I was more excited by the surprise of finding my ball in the hole on the 2nd ace.

One guy I play with often has been playing for 35 years and had never even seen an ace.  It kind of pissed him off that I'd already had 2. Then several months ago I was playing with him when he got his 1st.  2 weeks later, we playing again, and he shot his 2nd!

To be honest, I think I was more excited about my friend's 2 aces than mine -- since I knew he'd waited so long to even see one.

Both of mine occurred during a Skins match -- in both cases I won just enough money in Skins to pay for a couple rounds of drinks for over 40 golfers. I only pocketed about $5 each time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:09:52 PM by Art Fuller »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back