News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Hand pushed mower
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
"Tom Paul,
The most knowledgable guy out there about old mowers is Mel Lucas."

Bradley:

I can certainly understand that.

By the way, there's a really good before and after photo of the 16th green at The Jockey Club that shows how they used to green-mow right up and over the really enormous mounds on either side of that green and to some extent the enormous mound in the rear.

I have spoken to Mel Lucas a number of times in the last few years but I never met him until the beginning of this month at the Palmer Center opening at Far Hills. We were both there for two days so I was able to talk to him a lot, including about an hour with Jim Snow in the Green Section office. Mel sure is an amazing resource with the history of agronomy, equipment, whatever. I call him the "architectural archaeologist".

By the way, I've never been sure if they actually green-mowed right up and over those amazing inline mounds on the 12th hole at Garden City and he said they sure did with those old light mowers.

PS:
I know less about posting photos than you do but when Wayne comes over here I'll ask him if he'll post the photo you sent me of that old mower up on that mound.

Cory Brown:
Thanks for that book recommendation.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:49:05 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back