News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

High Bridge Hills(Mungeam) in High Bridge, NJ
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »
Just saw a profile in a golf mag of this public course about an hours drive(50 miles) from my house in suburban Philly. Has anyone played there? Is it worth the time and gas expense? The senior weekday rate is $53.

Here's the course tour:

www.highbridgehills.com/view.asp?id=74&page=846

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

Re: High Bridge Hills(Mungeam) in High Bridge, NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
Steve:

Yes, High Bridge is worth a play.

Is it at the level of Lederach? No, that good but it does have its moments,

Don't have the time to elaborate right now but it's close enough to Pennsy for people to access very quickly via I-78.

The back nine is quite hilly and the long par-4 5th is one of Jersey's best public holes. Ditto the long par-3 8th.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31:54 AM »
I played there back in the day. I remember it being enjoyable, but I preferred Architects in that general area. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
I agree that it is worth a play.  As Matt suggests it does have it moments on both the good and bad sides.  There are a couple of holes that seem awkward and forced into the land that is there, but mostly the flow is pretty good, with some decent variety.

I prefer Architects as well, but for that senior rate it might be worth the gas $$s.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
Steve:

Mark Mungeam's design works quite well at High Bridge Hills.

As I said previously, the front nine is quite hilly and there are a few holes of note -- e.g. the superb long 5th and the qualities of the par-3 8th. Better than average public course but not at the level of the top tier ones such as Architect's.

Your trip will not be wasted but don't go there with the expectation in finding another Lederach as I previously opined.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the input. I played Heron Glen recently. It was my fourth time there and I like the course. It's a little closer and less expensive-$32 weekday nonresident senior rate+$5 cart fee.I thought I'd give HH a try. By the way, the weekday senior rate at Lederach is $35 cart included. One advantage of being 60+. ;D

I'll issue my report after I play HH, probably after July 4.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »
I played it once and wasn't a huge fan.  It was nothing I hadn't seen before and the greens were only fair to middlin' as my dad would say.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back