News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dawson

Beaver Creek Golf
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »
Good afternoon all,
We have 4 couples going to Beaver Creek CO in July for golf and pleasure. Can anyone recomend courses and dinning?
Thanks,
JD

Chris Kurzner

Re: Beaver Creek Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »
The Red Sky Ranch  (I think that's what they are called) courses in Wolcott are both very good.  One was designed by Greg Norman and the other by Tom Fazio.  I was far less impressed with the Beaver Creek course.   Not sure about access to the Red Sky courses.  I think there is access for those staying at the Ritz Carlton in Bachelor Gulch.  Other resorts might also have access.

Good luck and enjoy.  Summer is beautiful in the Colorado mountains.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:52:04 PM »
Having played both courses at Red Sky Ranch, I would place the Norman over the Fazio. More choices, more strategy, great greens.

Red Sky is the only course I have ever played that has a driving range tee with a tee area of bent grass and a tee area of bluegrass/rye. NICE!

Don't waste your time at Sonnenealp GC (old Singletree CC). I also would not play Beaver Creek - almost every hole is a lay up off the tee, especially the downhill ones.

Eagle Ranch in Eagle, CO is worth the drive west a few more miles.

Have fun in CO - it is indeed beautiful in the summer.

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »
I prefer the Norman course as well.  Sonnenalp was not worth the tariff.  Another really great course (but hard to get on) is CC of the Rockies in Arrowhead.  I think that's a Nicklaus design and the back nine is a real treat with a couple of holes playing over and along the Eagle River.

Tony Gorski

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »
Hi Jim -

Glad to have to out in CO.  I've lived here off and on since '96.

The main courses in that area:  Vail (don't recommend), Eagle Ranch (recommend), Sonnenalp (don't recommend), Red Sky Ranch (recommend), Cordillera (pricey, average course with great views), Eagle-Vail (don't recommend), Beaver Creek (recommend), Breckenridge (highly recommend) and Keystone (average track some great views).

I'm not sure what your budget is but I agree w/ Mike that the Norman course at Red Sky Ranch is a must.  And to keep logistics simple, you could stay and play Fazio if you like his work.  It is a standard Fazio track.

You should consider Breckenridge Golf Club ($100).  It's a Nicklaus course, and I'm not typically a fan of his work, but he did this one right and it is often rated as one of the best public venues in CO.

The course at Beaver Creek is a Robert Trent Jones, Jr design.  The course is good not great but has some very good views.

As for food, there are some great restaurants right in Beaver Creek village (my wife and I love the area).  If you want a change of pace, make the drive to Vail and hit the village.

Have fun Jim and let me know if you need anything else. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
Jim,

If it's "couples golf" and the ladies are OK but not really good players I don't think Beaver Creek is a bad choice at all. It's not too long a course and runs downhill for 8-9 holes then back upslope the rest with Beaver Creek coming into play on several holes. There's enough there to interest the guys, though I agree it isn't the best course in the valley (probably Red Sky Norman is, but it's very expensive and I'm not sure how you get on). I have the same view about Sonnenalp/Singletree as Beaver Creek. Cordillera is pricey and I'm not sure any of the courses are worth it. I haven't played Eagle Ranch but it gets decent reviews; also the Vail municipal course, hard by the interstate, is a playable course that isn't a bad course for couples and is more reasonable. Don't play Eagle-Vail or the Copper Creek course at Copper Mountain. Breckenridge, which is about 45 minutes from Beaver Creek, is a really fine 27 hole municipal course and I concur with the positive comments above.  Unfortunately the bottom line in the Vail Valley is the golf generally is OK but nothing really outstanding and it's generally expensive.

Lots of food options in Beaver Creek and Vail--IM me for details.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
The best wine shop in town is Beaver Liquors.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
Jim, I concur with Red Sky Ranch.  I really liked The Norman Course but was less than enthralled with the Fazio.  Breckenridge is very good and a good value.  I also enjoyed the River Course at Keystone.  Not the best golf but the setting is exceptional and worth a visit.  The ranch course is spectacular at sunset and dinner ar the ranch is the best food in the mountains.

I was less than enthused with Eagle Point and CC of the Rockies.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Szabo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
The Raven at Three Peaks is a good choice, as well.  May be a bit pricey, but most of the courses mentioned are as well.

I'd second the comment about Brekenridge - for the price, it may be hard to beat.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Dawson

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Does anyone have a can't miss course that we could play between the airport and Beaver Creek?
Thanks,
JD

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »
If you are flying in to Denver then Fossil Trace is not too far off the freeway.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tony Gorski

Re: Beaver Creek Golf New
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:37:55 PM »
Agree with Tim that Fossil Trace, a Jim Engh design, is a different but fun course.  He was able to wedge a very decent course between a municipal building, a prison, and two major roads.  His accomplishment is pretty remarkable given the constraints.  Costs about $60-70.  Some holes are a bit tricked up in my view, but I'd love to debate it once you've played.

If you're looking for great vistas with natural, jagged rock formations throughout, Arrowhead is always rated as a favorite from out-of-towners.  For the GCA enthusiast, the course is fairly bland, but the views are stunning.  About $100.

Buffalo Run and Green Valley Ranch (~$60) are right by the airport (<10 minutes away).  They are by no means "can't miss" but if logistics plays a part, they are options.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:02:17 PM by Tony Gorski »

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »
The Raven at Three Peaks is a good choice, as well.  May be a bit pricey, but most of the courses mentioned are as well.

I'd second the comment about Brekenridge - for the price, it may be hard to beat.

These courses are both en route from Denver to Beaver Creek, and about 45 minutes away if you want to go back to them once you're at Beaver Creek.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 05:04:03 PM »
lakota canyon is about an hour west of beaver creek.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back