News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: What did the early term "expert" mean?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
"My point is that the constrained, oddly-shaped property limited how the holes could be routed, at least in terms of general direction on each side of the road.   This differs considerably from, say, a 120 acre symmetric, "square" property without a public road, an existing clubhouse, a large quarry, etc."

MikeC:

That's true on a site of the configuration of Merion East---eg there's no real latitude to go sideways from the general direction of the holes but that in no way means it's totally obvious that the holes should stop and start where they do or that the par selections come where it does or that the sequencing be what it is.

Furthermore, there is one massive unanswered question to do with almost all these early so-called "amateur/sportsmen" designers of that era and the way they all went about their projects---and that is did they take the massive amounts of time they did on their projects simply because that was necessary to overcome their inexperiences along the way or did they enter into those projects both knowing and intending that they would do it that way over such extended periods of time?

There actually is a brief discussion in those agronomy letters about this very thing and this very subject. If I can find it, I'll post it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:40:42 PM by TEPaul »

Andy Hughes

Re: What did the early term "expert" mean?
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
"Summing up, Tillinghast pointed out that comparatively few bunkers were yet in place, then concluded on a somewhat muted note:  "I believe that Merion will have a real championship course, and Philadelphia has been crying out for one for many years.  The construction committee, headed by Hugh I. Wilson, has been thorough in its methods and deserves the congratulations of all golfers."".

TEP/Mike, perhaps my comments on Merion's first iteration were overharsh?   Tillinghast seems to make the same point re bunkers though he makes clear it was not zero bunkers, and Mike also offered the quote earlier 'without many of the bunkers built'. 
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back