News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Stephenson

An Interesting Question?
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
I was recently asked this question after responding "yes" to a previous question about if my club should increase its family orientation:

"If you believe the Club X needs to increase it's family orientation, what types of things should the Club be considering in terms of facilities, activities and policies?"

Now we have our standard junior clinics and camps in the summer, a moderately active tournament schedule, and have recently introduced a "Super Junior" program where children as young as 6 can join and play accompanied by a parent or family member (funny, when I was 6 this was free).  I also think that we ask our former juniors to fork-out for their equity share too soon, but that is more the intermediate than the junior.

I still feel my club is missing something, I just can't put a finger on it.  Are there any real interesting things that are happening at your club?

Dan Herrmann

Re: An Interesting Question?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
Paul,
I'll use an unnamed club that I used to be a member at as a first-hand example.

It's not so much want the club can do to be family oriented, it's what they DO to keep families away.

Do they have an environment where kids aren't welcome?  Can kids see things they really shouldn't?  Do adults treat kids with kindness and respect, knowing they're the future of the game?  Are women treated with respect both on and off the course?  Are events like the member-guest more like a drunken frat party than the wonderful experience they can be?

My old club had all sorts of issues in these areas.  There was a pool that attracted kids, but having a guy that had too much to drink start doing cannonballs off the diving board isn't a great thing for kids to see.   

Other things - the guys back then sometimes weren't exactly respectful of certain wait staff's boundraries.  Do you want to have your kids see that?

I remember a couple loud verbal "discussions" with language completely unappropriate for kids.

I'm sorrry if this comes off holier than thou, but it's how I feel.   Places like that are stuck in the 1950's - no wonder they're running out of members.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
Thanks Dan.  I wouldn't have thought about it from that angle, and it's a really good way of approaching it.

I'm glad I was asked this question and I think my response will be at least heard (it was a board member who asked).  I didn't want to leave this one as there is something wrong and that's it.  It's a question where I want to offer suggestions, rather than point out something is wrong and leave it at that.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:01:50 PM »
Paul:

Do they have clinics for teaching parts of the game where children can attend with adults?  Do they have Jr. Tees?  Do they have an area for JRs to play/practice when the course is full? (one of my courses has 3 full size practice holes --which is great for kids to walk and learn -- and the other has a seperate executive course which my kids love.

I assume from your opening note that they have parent/child tournaments.  How about some casual evening 9 hole scrambles where the kids can play?

Do the staff learn the kids names and speak to them about the game? 

Just a few suggestions.  Good luck, without jrs involved there will be no golf.

Bart

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »
Bart,
I've been championing setting up a young kids' "course" on the "greens" found on our driving range - after the balls have been picked.

And all good points!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »
Bart,
I've been championing setting up a young kids' "course" on the "greens" found on our driving range - after the balls have been picked.

And all good points!

Dan:

Yes, something as simple as this would absolutely make kids thrilled.  I am blessed with a 13 yr old son who loves the game...any aspect, any time.  He gets so excited every time we try out a new track...anything that even resembles playing golf: pitch and putt, putt-putt, whatever... floats his boat.  So, my kid would love your suggestion...shoot, just put a stick in the ground and play to it and he will be smiling wider than a cat who ate a canary.  That is the whole idea...find ways to make the kids have fun with a golf club in their hands and they'll be hooked for life (or at least until they start reading some of GCA.com  ;)).

Bart
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:07:17 PM by Bart Bradley »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
It's an interesting question - and I wonder if you are asking about your Club or your club's Golf Course? 

If the Club is a place where kids feel welcome to be kids (respectfully), then they'll want to spend time there, and want to be there with their friends.  Whether that's playing golf together, or at the tennis courts, or pool, or enjoying whatever amenities your club has.  That's the start.  A good "junior-friendly" professional staff & programs is a good way to get those kids together on the golf course.  That attitude will attract young families, get them assymilated into the Club, and in turn attract other young families. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
I hate to mention this because some people might think it's sexist -- but probably not many on this board, so here goes:

Does your club have a female assistant pro who's good at teaching juniors?

For girls, this can be a huge step toward making the game seem accessible.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
TomD:

I'm still trying to imagine how asking if clubs have a female asst pro who teaches could ever be considered sexist? Seems like a pretty straightforward question to me.  ;)

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
How is the women's and juniors merchandise in the pro shop?  That to me is a big factor in that same point being discussed - "welcoming"

Pine Needles has a wonderful women's section in their pro shop...and that course should probably be the example for an emphasis on something other than just the boys club.

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
Tom/Tom -

Women club pros are worth their weight in gold. We have found that wives prefer lessons from them. In fact, wives are taking more golf lessons than ever because the teacher is a woman, we think. For the men, a woman pro is a delightful change of pace. We have had three women pros and can't seem to keep them.

Paul -

My take on junior golf is that the club needs to give them space and tolerate their little packs - both on and off the course. It's those pack that get and keep kids interested.

My sense is that programs tend to actually kill interest. They tend to be viewed by the kids as just another activity they are supposed to do to please their parents.

The irony here is that it is easier for a club to institute junior "progams" than it is to have the tolerance and patience to just leave the juniors alone. If you can get your membership to be a little indifferent about the mild chaos that seems to encircle kids, the kids will find their own way to the game.

Bob

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »
Paul -
My take on junior golf is that the club needs to give them space and tolerate their little packs - both on and off the course. It's those pack that get and keep kids interested.

My sense is that programs tend to actually kill interest. They tend to be viewed by the kids as just another activity they are supposed to do to please their parents.

The irony here is that it is easier for a club to institute junior "progams" than it is to have the tolerance and patience to just leave the juniors alone. If you can get your membership to be a little indifferent about the mild chaos that seems to encircle kids, the kids will find their own way to the game.

Bob
Bob, you hit the nail on the head. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 15 - 3. What they really want is some time away from "adult" management. Some times the hardest thing is giving them time without "managing" their every move. Until a kid screws up I think he should be given the same rights as any other member. And even then, make sure not to punish any more than we would any other member who crosses a line. Kids are smart, they see the double standard and it is my firm belief that most of the time the best way to get them to act like a responsible adult is to treat them like one.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:02 PM »
How is the women's and juniors merchandise in the pro shop?  That to me is a big factor in that same point being discussed - "welcoming"

Any truly junior-friendly club has equipment (and maybe apparel) for kids in the shop.  The US Kids line is a great place to start, since it permits upgrading as kids grow at a reasonable price and pace.

Just $.02.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back