News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Paired With A Douche Bag
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
Iron covers, tour bag, the whole nine yards of stupidity.

Iron covers are the calling card of the douche bag.

Hold on a sec here.

I have a friend I play regular golf with and he has these.  He's very proper and follows all the ettiquite, (except when we cough in each others back swing during a pressure shot in a friendly game). His reasoning is, he uses these so his irons don't go clank, clank when he's walking own the fairway.  I know it can be distracting when someone is clanking down the fairway on the next hole over when your trying to make a 10 footer to save par.

Why db status for actually being considerate of other players?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »
Shivas,

Perhaps this is true.

But we can't go calling people douche bags for doing something on the course out of consideration for others.  Are they ugly?  yes.  But I'm not seeing how douchebaggedness gets applied in this situation.

Jed Peters

« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2008, 01:28:55 PM »

Hold on a sec here.

I have a friend I play regular golf with and he has these.  He's very proper and follows all the ettiquite, (except when we cough in each others back swing during a pressure shot in a friendly game). His reasoning is, he uses these so his irons don't go clank, clank when he's walking own the fairway.  I know it can be distracting when someone is clanking down the fairway on the next hole over when your trying to make a 10 footer to save par.

Your friend needs to buy a towel.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »
No comment on me nailing you to the rules cross with iron protection of the field example?  Not even throwing me a bone?

And here I gave you the bone of all bones the other day about my ACE.

I am disappointed in you, shivas.

TH

I hereby allow you the bone of continuing to curse the darkness... ;)

I can live with that.
 ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2008, 01:33:52 PM »
Even if we stipulate that its nerdy as Shivas implied, fair enough!!

But how can his being considerate of others ever get him the vinegar bag status?

Don't make Shiv bust out a GCA.com hyposcrisy thread...

Jed Peters

« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
Even if we stipulate that its nerdy as Shivas implied, fair enough!!

But how can his being considerate of others ever get him the vinegar bag status?

Don't make Shiv bust out a GCA.com hyposcrisy thread...

One can be considerate without having iron covers.

Come on, Kalen!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
Understood.

One can do as I do, and throw my right hand over my irons to keep them from clanking.

But I'm seeing a huge disconnect here.  Because one prefers a different method to prevent the clanking how does that equate to douche bag?  Nerdy Ok....but nothing more!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
The first hole-in-one that I ever witnessed, and that happened 15 years before my only HIO, was a half-skull by a guy with iron covers who then acted as if he meant to hit it that way.

He did not have iron covers for soundproofing.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2008, 01:44:39 PM »
Remember that scene in Shawshank Redemption where Andy locks himself in the office and plays the wonderful aria over the loud-speaker and the prisoners all stand in the yard dumb-struck?

That's how I feel about clanking irons.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
The first hole-in-one that I ever witnessed, and that happened 15 years before my only HIO, was a half-skull by a guy with iron covers who then acted as if he meant to hit it that way.

He did not have iron covers for soundproofing.

Carl,

Thanks for that...great example.  Clearly iron head covers can be used by either db's or non db's, so this talking point can now end.

By the way...do any of you use head covers for woods?  If so I'm sensing a bit of hypocrisy here again.

Mr. Hendren,

Only a hillbilly would equate iron clanking with fine italian opera!!  ;D

Jed Peters

« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
  Because one prefers a different method to prevent the clanking how does that equate to douche bag?  Nerdy Ok....but nothing more!!

Sometimes in my myopic life, the two are synonymous!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2008, 01:56:41 PM »
Clanking irons, the sound of diesel carts, the true sound of a modern golf course – all we are missing is the sound of the Pipes playing ‘Scotland The Brave’.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
  Because one prefers a different method to prevent the clanking how does that equate to douche bag?  Nerdy Ok....but nothing more!!

Sometimes in my myopic life, the two are synonymous!

Jed,

Didn't your Mom ever tell you not to throw stones in glass houses?   ;D

BY being a member of this site, by default that makes you a nerd in at least some way.

Thusly

if
             Person = nerd
          then
                nerd = douchebag
     else
             Person not a douchebag.

Ergo, we are all douchebags being members of GCA.com.   ;D

Jed Peters

« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Jed,

Didn't your Mom ever tell you not to throw stones in glass houses?   ;D

BY being a member of this site, by default that makes you a nerd in at least some way.

Thusly

if
             Person = nerd
          then
                nerd = douchebag
     else
             Person not a douchebag.

Ergo, we are all douchebags being members of GCA.com.   ;D

Noticed I prefaced my statement by using the term SOMETIMES?

Oh yeah, and to be honest with you, if 10 years ago I would have known I would be posting on internet message boards, I would DEFINITELY have kicked my own ass.

Posting onto an online forum is one of the nerdiest things in the world one can do. I've said that in the past to other forum members. Luckily, the dork quotient goes down as a result of some of the "cool" things in my life that I do.

But believe me, I am aware of what a slippery slope it is.

P.S.: I have pink headcovers on my fairway woods also.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »
Well I don't think its nerdy to post online....even way cool people do it.  ;D

But it is nerdy to post in this forum.

Thank goodness I redeem myself by also posting in an off-road forum where we talk about engines, suspensions, truck armor, etc.  <ruff, ruff, ruff>

Jed Peters

« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:45 PM »
Well I don't think its nerdy to post online....even way cool people do it.  ;D

No--no cool people do it.

The Fonz would never post online.

rjsimper

« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2008, 02:47:15 PM »
"I use iron covers to keep the sound of my clanking clubs down for my playing partners" has got to be the tallest tale I've ever heard. 

Clearly this is someone who wants iron covers, recognizes that they are for DBs, and has come up with this feeble rationalization to explain it away to the likes of Kalen and anyone else who asks.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »
"I use iron covers to keep the sound of my clanking clubs down for my playing partners" has got to be the tallest tale I've ever heard. 

Clearly this is someone who wants iron covers, recognizes that they are for DBs, and has come up with this feeble rationalization to explain it away to the likes of Kalen and anyone else who asks.

Wow, wow and double wow.  A tough crowd in here today!!!   Such cyniscm and disbelief....I love it!!!  ;D

But I will say this, I think its a legit, hassle free way to keep the noise down.  And even he admits he is sensitive to clanking irons, and this is why he makes sure not to impose on others.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

This may have been true before the double shoulder strap. But now that everyone has them, if you are a walker, iron covers are considerate. Opposed to the clanking of clubs while someone disrespects you and moves while your swinging.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dean Stokes

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »

This may have been true before the double shoulder strap. But now that everyone has them, if you are a walker, iron covers are considerate. Opposed to the clanking of clubs while someone disrespects you and moves while your swinging.
Adam, if you are walking while your playing partners are swinging that makes you a DB anyway - iron covers are not going to help you. :D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
Dean, Are you that inexperienced and/or inefficient to not be able move along without disturbing your playing partners?

BTW, one doesn't need iron covers to mitigate the sound. They just make it easier than stuffing one's towel or hyper-extending one's elbow to gather them.

A DB shouldn't be something that's detectable by anything other than action or deed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:30:00 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »
I think every year we should have nominees for DB of the year on this site.  Winner gets booted.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Within one minute of my previous post I opened an e-mail from the club to shich I belong notifying us that we now have wi-fi in the clubhouse.  I hereby nominate myself. ???

Tim Bert

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
Mike - That's so you can check GCA from the clubhouse.  I thought they put that in for you.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »
Mike,

Thats not a DB move at all.  Wireless routers are cheap, you can put 2-3 in, have excellent coverage and do it all for under $200.  Chump change...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back