News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Buzminski

Re: Gleneagles - Kings Course(pictures)
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »
Thanks for the pics - the only time I was in that area was just after the G8 Summit had been hosted there, and there were still security fences everywhere through the area, which kind of ruined the view.  Perthshire is just gorgeous, isn't it?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:16:52 AM »
Thanks Jason. Occasionally people discuss whether courses are being photographed from a GCA perspective or an aesthetics perspective. Having the presence of mind to photo the GCA angle during your first visit round a course is not easy - I think Sean is someone who does it well. I am definitely a bit more in the overall impression/aesthetics camp, though hopefully the pictures show enough of the course to give a sense of the GCA perspective, even if they don't show the strategy of each hole.

Interesting idea Peter - framing vistas rather than holes! I will remember that one.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 11:41:40 AM »
More great pics - they're particularly good because they are takenfrom a golfer's perspective - you show the things we want to see. Many thanks.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
Just an awesome course, maybe my favorite non-links for all its elevation, angles and quirk.  A great destination but also a great mid-point between St. Andrews and Turnberry.  Too bad the Ryder Cup WON'T be played on in in 2014. 

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
Thanks Brian, I suspect this thread was before my time.

With regards to the comments on relative shortness and ease to play to par, I wonder how it would shape up if you nominated the par 5's as par 4's instead, whether that would change the perception ?

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
I have not played there in years and years, but I loved the course on my first go-around.

I can't believe all the stripe-mowing they are doing.  It's got my gag reflex going.

Funny you would say that, my first reaction was "that mowing is going to make me hurl."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
Help me out - is the general dislike (as I perceive it) for checkerboard mowing patterns on this board tied to anything other than aesthetics?

This kind of formalized mowing pattern takes a joy of natural golf into an obviously man-made realm.  Nothing natural looking about those fairways. 

Is King's the top course at Gleneagles?

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

Yes. 

This thread brought back a funny memory from when I played it in 2000.  A European Tour event was being held at the same time on the Nicklaus course.  At one point in the round, a playing companion holed a long putt and raised his hand as if to a gallery.  With perfect timing golf applause broke out from a neighboring hole.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
No, the Queens is far more fun IMO.

Niall C

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
No, the Queens is far more fun IMO.

agree, although these photos make me want to play the Kings again just to see.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back