News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Rhode Island CC
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
Does anyone know who renovated Rhode Island CC?

Thanks.

John

Tom_Doak

Re: Rhode Island CC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
JP:  I don't know the answer to your question.

However, on the subject of RICC, I have never been so shocked as when we were trying to decide what sort of hole to build for the 5th at Sebonack, and Jack Nicklaus referenced a hole he had seen and really liked at Rhode Island Country Club!  I didn't know he would have been to an out-of-the-way place like that, but I guess they played a senior Tour event there.

Anyway, I was bummed to read Jack's book on golf course design later and find out that he had referenced that hole before -- he patterned the 12th at The Bear's Club after it.  I thought he was being more spontaneous.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
JP:  I don't know the answer to your question.

However, on the subject of RICC, I have never been so shocked as when we were trying to decide what sort of hole to build for the 5th at Sebonack, and Jack Nicklaus referenced a hole he had seen and really liked at Rhode Island Country Club!  I didn't know he would have been to an out-of-the-way place like that, but I guess they played a senior Tour event there.

Anyway, I was bummed to read Jack's book on golf course design later and find out that he had referenced that hole before -- he patterned the 12th at The Bear's Club after it.  I thought he was being more spontaneous.

Tom:
It is unlikely that Jack Nicklaus played a Senior Tour event at Rhode Island CC. I don't believe they ever hosted one.  Particularly with Nashawtuc a little over an hour away.
He probably played in the CVS Charity Classic that Brad Faxon and Billy Andrade host every year there. Faxon grew up there and is a member.  Not sure about Andrade.
As for the renovation it may have been Ron Pritchard or Ron Force but I'm not sure but can find out.
Best
Dave

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
Dave M:

Probably the charity event ... he didn't say why he was there as far as I can remember.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
I used to be a member at RICC and it is a great old Ross course. I forget who did the work there, but it was more of an engineering project. They wanted to raise some fairways to avoid the persistent flooding and saturation of some holes (3 and 5 for instance). Also, the property had been overcome by phragmite to a point where many ponds where not even visible: I think they dredged the ponds to clean out the invasive phragmite and prevent future aquatic plant growth.

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back