News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

AZ to MN road trip suggestions
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
So potentially as soon as Monday, I'm flying to Arizona and driving back to the Twin Cities. I'll by flying solo and I'll have as many as four potential days to make the trip. I will probably play two times with the potential of a third round.

There are two primary routes that I am considering. The first is up to Flagstaff, east to Oklahoma City and north from there. The second is up to Flagstaff to Albuquerque to Denver and up through Nebraska.

Either way, I'm hoping to play either Paa-Ko Ridge or Black Mesa. From there, I'm kind of torn.

If I go to Okla City and up, I can probably play Brauer's Sand Creek Station. That's also the easiest drive, there are more cities along the way and I might be able to see the Royals play as they are at home.

The Denver route is a more difficult drive as I would have to go through the mountains. I love Denver, but was just there 18 months ago and played a couple of places. The biggest benefit of that route is that I would definitely play Wild Horse. Even though, Gothenburg isn't thaaaaat far from MSP, I'm not sure I would make the drive just to play there.

I'm not looking for access. I'm looking for potential public suggestions as I'll probably call someplace and say, "if I show up in an hour as a single, can you get me out?"

John_Conley

Re: AZ to MN road trip suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
I'm not looking for access.

C'mon Jeff, look for access.  Have you been to Sand Hills?

Seriously, it seems like a timely drive is the first priority.  Why not Sand Creek?  I've heard nice things and would like your opinion. 

This trip must not be work-related.  Drive safely.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
No, certainly not a work trip at all. Long story that has to do with my car being totaled by hail a few weekends ago, my mom's CR-V coming off lease and a really good lease buyout price.

The problem is that they live 1,800 miles away.

The good news is that leaves the opportunities to play some places I would probably never get to.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
Jeff,
At least for the Albuquerque part, if you go the Denver route on I-25 you'd be closer to Black Mesa, whereas I-40 to Oklahoma City takes you close to Paa-Ko. You could certainly play either one regardless of which way you choose to go. There's not much between Albuquerque and Oklahoma City, but quite a bit in Colorado.

PS: Having done that part of the drive a few times, there are easier ways (IMO) to get from Phoenix to Albuquerque than going through Flagstaff. The way I go is also quite a bit more scenic, but it includes some mountain two-lane roads. You go through the towns of Payson and Heber and catch I-40 in Holbrook. Let me know if you want more information on that, and I don't recommend my route after dark due to elk and the nature of the roads.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Jeff, figure out your drive time and after you play your first selection, how long do you have to drive and then have time to comfortably play the next course, before finishing your trip home...  If that second day takes you to WH, man do it if you haven't already.  If you have, go the alternate way to see something new. 

Or, beg for access somewhere really cool like SHGC or Bally.  Write a nice note to the powers that be and explain that you are a sports scribe.  That ought to buy you some cred!  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
Or, beg for access somewhere really cool like SHGC or Bally.  Write a nice note to the powers that be and explain that you are a sports scribe.  That ought to buy you some cred!  ;) ;D

Former sports scribe. He's gone straight.

Jeff -- Why don't you have Sid make some calls for you?  ::)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
Dan, nice emoticon.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »
Jeff,

My wife and I just made that drive -- to AZ and back -- a month ago. We took the Nebraska-Denver-New Mexico route on the way out to play Wild Horse and Black Mesa. On the way back, with our non-golfer son in tow, we took the southern route through Amarillo, OK City, KC, etc.

I can recommend both Black Mesa and Wild Horse, and I would concur with Dick that it really would be worth your while to go the Nebraska route if you haven't played Wild Horse yet. Prepare for some wind, and dig deep into your bag of shots.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »
If you wanted to crazy and try to see as much as possible I can recommend...
 East on the I-10, working north to Globe. Play Apache Stronghold($35?). Head northeast going up to the  I-40 near Holbrook. The drive is spectacular going through Snake canyon (?). At Gallup head north to Farmington play the back nine at Riverside in Kirtland ($<20) then Pinion Hills in Farmington ($40). Take US 550 to just before Cuba #96 and  slip into Black Mesa the back way. Here's a mapquest link for this back way. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Farmington+NM/La+Mesilla+NM/

Then, take the 285  to the 160 over to the 25 stopping in La Veta to play the course there. Once in the 25 you could stop in Pueblo and see Walking Stick ($30)? Then head to Nebraska. Go to Lake Mac and see Bayside ($60) then on to Wild Horse ($36.83). From there, I would just drive str8 through, maybe stopping to see The Harvestor and Lawsonia. I'd say Erin Hills but at those rates $175, compared to what you've seen, fuughetaboutit. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »
From there, I would just drive str8 through, maybe stopping to see The Harvestor and Lawsonia. I'd say Erin Hills but at those rates $175, compared to what you've seen, fuughetaboutit. 

Presumably Jeff is going home.  Lawsonia Adam?!  Jeff lives in the Twin Cities.  Great course, but that's a separate trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back