News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

club advice in the Stuart/PSL/Jupiter Florida area
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
I have a good friend that recently graduated from college and moved down to Stuart, Florida.  He's looking for a club to join down there and I figured it made sense to check with GCA guys to see if there are any off-the-radar places.

He loves playing at Holston Hills, so I told him Seminole would be a great choice.  I tried doing it with a straight face, but he figured out (without any phone calls) that one wasn't a realistic option.

In all reality, he's probably going to be stuck joining some place that offers both memberships and some public access for a few years.  Any suggestions?  I don't think there are too many hidden gems in that area but it's worth a try.  After all, I want to play somewhere decent if I go down for a visit.

John_Conley

Re: club advice in the Stuart/PSL/Jupiter Florida area
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:57 PM »
The municipal in North Palm Beach is outstanding.  I've heard the public (muni?) in Fort Pierce isn't bad.  Might be called Fairwinds.  The rates at PGA in Port St. Lucie are very reasonable in the summer.  Two Fazios and a Dye.  Good facility.

Jupiter has a slew of private clubs.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »
The municipal in North Palm Beach is outstanding.  I've heard the public (muni?) in Fort Pierce isn't bad.  Might be called Fairwinds.  The rates at PGA in Port St. Lucie are very reasonable in the summer.  Two Fazios and a Dye.  Good facility.

Jupiter has a slew of private clubs.

North Palm Beach is a strong possibility as are the PGA Village courses.  These would provide some good golf.  He was hoping to get somewhere closer to Stuart (i.e. easier to go play 9 or practice after work).  I think he can find that, but just was trying to help him find something a little more convenient and still a pretty good course.  Don't know if that's possible.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
I really enjoyed Dye Preserve.  They may have a junior or associate membership.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
Assuming your friend is budget minded, these are the best options at reasonible prices:

Jupiter CC in Jupiter, Fl. This is a brand new Greg Norman Course in a Toll Bros development that has only 7 or 9 houses, so he can join and be an annual for maybe 5 years. Last year the annual dues, unlimited golf was $3900.

If he is a resident of North Palm Beach, they have inexpensive annual rates
at NPBCC.

The other courses to contact are:

PGA-they have 5 courses
Eastpoint-they have none member annual deals

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:29 AM »
When I lived in Palm City I had an annual membership at a little club called Evergreen. Good grup of guys both working and retired. There was always a game. Course was a lot of fun too. No "name" architect and very affordable. Great place to hang your hat if you are not looking for a major cash committment. Tell Mike the Pro  sent you.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »
If I were in Stuart I would certainly not want to drive to North Palm Beach to play golf, it's nearly an hour trip each way!

I would possibly join Hammock Creek, semi private, holds many mini tour events, always in decent shape and not a bad golf course. Other than that I would check out Martin Downs CC. Holds the Q school qualifier each year. Has 36 holes of golf, normally in good condition. Both are in Stuart.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »
He should check out Eagle Marsh in Jensen Beach
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:53 PM »
If I were in Stuart I would certainly not want to drive to North Palm Beach to play golf, it's nearly an hour trip each way!

Dean, I was thrown by the "Jupiter" part of the thread.  Yes, NPB isn't very close to Port St. Lucie.  It really depends where he lives, since we already know he'll be working in Stuart.  If he lives there that rules out NPB but if he lives in Jupiter that's another matter.

I'm guessing he'll find that Florida is a great place to be unattached and he won't necessarily need to join anywhere.  Port St. Lucie isn't quite like Orlando, but those summer walk-up rates at the PGA complex make it hard to justify paying dues anywhere.  Two very good Fazios and the Dye all in one place, plus a world-class practice facility.  They used to have something like six different sands in the bunkers.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. He is going to live on the south side of Stuart. He doesn't mind driving some to be at a better course. But part of the reason for joining is to beat balls and I don't see driving a lot for that. Unattached probably makes a lot of sense.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
What's he going to do in the winter?  A year around, affordable semi-private might make more sense.

John_Conley

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
What's he going to do in the winter?  A year around, affordable semi-private might make more sense.

1. take time away from golf
2. play less since there is less daylight making weekday evening golf impossible
3. drive a tad N to play the municipal in Fort Pierce (or similar less-expensive options)
4. just pony up the going rate for the courses he does play since it is still cheaper in the end

Realistically how much will a recent college-grad beginning a career get to play in the winter, assuming he's interested in normal things like chasing girls, swilling beer, and whatever people half my age are into.

Even if he plays the same course once a week for a year the per round cost of Quass's option is still $70, and the $3,600 all-in is a great value for the area.

If he's a strong player he can play FSGA events and Palm Beach County amateur events, although you may have to live there for the latter.  Tons of avid golfers remain unattached in Florida.  It may not be ideal for him, but it isn't like that's not a viable option.

Would I join a club if I moved to Stuart?  Not sure. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »

1. take time away from golf
2. play less since there is less daylight making weekday evening golf impossible
3. drive a tad N to play the municipal in Fort Pierce (or similar less-expensive options)
4. just pony up the going rate for the courses he does play since it is still cheaper in the end

Realistically how much will a recent college-grad beginning a career get to play in the winter, assuming he's interested in normal things like chasing girls, swilling beer, and whatever people half my age are into.

Even if he plays the same course once a week for a year the per round cost of Quass's option is still $70, and the $3,600 all-in is a great value for the area.

If he's a strong player he can play FSGA events and Palm Beach County amateur events, although you may have to live there for the latter.  Tons of avid golfers remain unattached in Florida.  It may not be ideal for him, but it isn't like that's not a viable option.

Would I join a club if I moved to Stuart?  Not sure. 

Here was John Mayhugh's first line: "I have a good friend that recently graduated from college and moved down to Stuart, Florida.  He's looking for a club to join down there and I figured it made sense to check with GCA guys to see if there are any off-the-radar places."

So if he's going to join, it should be year around and handy to Stuart.  Not my stipulations, but his own via John.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »
I understand the Jupiter Island Club is always looking for young new members and is quick to welcome them onboard. John, Did your friends family happen to arrive on the Mayflower? ;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
At your friends age, he may find some attractive Junior membership offerings. He should look into Loblolly Pines, Jupiter Hills, Medalist, McArthur for first tier courses.

There are a host of real estate developments that are likely hungry as well. The new Tesoro Club that hosted some tour event last year is probably taking bids at this point.

If a club does not offer a Junior membership, he should make them an offer. These clubs are not in a position to be turning a willing dues payer away
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
Jack,
His family was quite a few generations after the Mayflower.  And besides I bet they expect you to tuck your shirt in at the Jupiter Island Club. ;D

I really appreciate all of the advice to share with him.  I tend to agree with John Cullum that many clubs down there can use another member.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back