News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Congratulations to Ian Andrew
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
Ian Andrew, one of our valued  posters on gca.com  has been chosen as the architect / consultant at  Plymouth Country Club, a vintage Donald Ross course located south of Boston.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:53:07 PM by mark chalfant »

Tom_Doak

Re: Congratulations to Ian A.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
I'd have gone after that job if I'd known it was out there.  It is a really cool golf course.  I'm sure Ian will do well by it.

Mark Smolens

Re: Congratulations to Ian A.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »
Question based simply upon curiousity from a non-archi for Mr. Doak.  How is it that you didn't know or weren't made aware that the potential for such a job existed?  It seems odd that a course seeking some type of renovation or upgrade (or whatever) wouldn't seek bids or inquiries from a company such as yours. . .  This is certainly not intended as a criticism in any way of Ian Andrews.  Tho I haven't played any of his work, I love his blog -- and link regularly to it to see what's new from the Shackelford site.  It's just that from what I've seen on this site, and heard from others, at least a visit from Tom Doak for his thoughts and impressions could be a valuable asset to any club thinking about changes. . .

George Pazin

Re: Congratulations to Ian Andrew
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing the info, Mark, it's always nice to hear good news about a great guy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
Mark:

As Tom Paul used to be fond of saying, it's a big world out there, and there is not enough time to take on nearly all the work we would like to do.  Plus I'm always saving a bit of myself for when the right piece of ground comes along.

We've turned down six or eight potential consulting jobs this year alone, because they cut into our time on new projects just precisely at the wrong time ... in fact, I've referred a couple of them to Ian Andrew.  The only one we've taken on is Cherry Hills, and that's because one of my associates is a local.

I have a short list in my head of courses where I WOULD want to consult, but I can't really announce them out loud because some other architect is probably currently involved, and I don't want to be accused of tampering. 

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
I'd have gone after that job had I known that Tom would have gone after it had he'd known about it.

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
Makes me wonder how the people who really went after it must feel knowing that if the two of you had known about you would have. Had they known that they would never have gone after it.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »
I was going to go after it but then I heard Geoff heard Tom was going after it so I didn't.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Congratulations Ian.  If you are staying busy in this business environment, you are doing great. I wish I could say as much.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
I'm definitely not going to go after it. Not now. Not after all this. I might, y'know, pop in for an afternoon, have a look around, that kind of thing. But probably not. I'd consider going after Rob Thompson to go after it, but honestly, the budget's not there for that kind of frivolity.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
Anyone know the scope of the work to be done? I know they originally had 27 holes but abandoned one nine. The first 3 holes of the current course seem a bit out of place, are they original Ross holes?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »
congrats Ian
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »
Ian,

You have a real passion.   Congratulations on what sounds like a great gig!
Mike

rocket

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »
Ian Congrats,

I definitely be checking your blogs for updates on the work at Plymouth.

Scott Witter

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »
I think I can add a little for those interested.

Several months ago, Plymouth CC sent out RFP invitations for the restoration/renovation of their course to a select group of GC Architects.  A group whom they apparently felt met the right credential criteria important to them.  There were several GCA's, who had considerable experience with Ross courses and some that didn't, but who have all done excellent work on other historical and high profile layouts.

After shortlisting to 3 GCA's and day-long interviews Ian was finally selected :D.  I guess ??? "passion" may have entered into the final evaluation, but I believe Ian was chosen because of his well-earned experience with many great architects, his comprehensive research and his ability to apply his skills and do the same great work on any course, not just  Ross, a Travis, or a Tillinghast, etc.  Either that or else Ian is a great story teller and that Canadian accent with a twinkle in his eye got their attention and they couldn't say no :o

Tim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »
Kudo's to Ian.

Nice to see that Plymouth didn't just "Ross Society" it, but actually decided to use an architect who will dig into the archives and not one who would "this is what Ross would do - I know because I'm a Ross 'expert'".

Jeff Brauer - score 1 for the ASGCA
Coasting is a downhill process

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »
Congrats, and chalk one up for the good guys. Ian has a respect/passion for the classics that will serve Plymouth well.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
Brad,

The club contacted the consultants they wanted/felt confident in- to do the Master Plan.  Whether Tom, Jack, Ian, Donald or Old Tom were going after it, we were asked and would have loved to work there but I guess did not wow them at the interview like Ian did!  Some say Mr. Cornish landed a far amount of work from the Canadian accent.

Pete,
The scope is for a Master Plan and hopefully the renovation work that follows.

Ian will do a great job!  Good luck

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
Well thanks a lot eh!

All I had to do was say "abooot".

I appreciate all the very kind comments - I'm very greatful to be working at such a wonderful course. They have very little that they need to do.

Gerry B

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:11:54 PM »
congrats ian - see you soon

paul cowley

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:26 PM »
Congrats Ian....I'm proud to know I have known you before all the others knew!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Great news Ian, should turn out to be a wonderful opportunity.

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Well thanks a lot eh!

All I had to do was say "abooot".

I appreciate all the very kind comments - I'm very greatful to be working at such a wonderful course. They have very little that they need to do.

Hopefully the volume of work (or lack thereof) does not directly affect your fee.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Plymouth ain't that far from Salters Point.   Give me a call, I'm in the book !

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
Tom — Is it too late for you to relinquish your contract at Cherry Hills and allow Mark Fine to complete it? This would free up even more time   ;D
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back