News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Blake

Sebonack to get 2013 Women's US Open
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
My new issue of Golfweek came today and "The Man Out Front" says it is so and that an official announcement is to come next week.

Sorry if this has been posted already...I didn't see it.

...back to reading the Wayne thread.

Chip Gaskins

Re: Sebonack to get 2013 Women's US Open
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
WOW, if that is true then would we think it would or would not get a Men's Open in the future? 

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:27 PM »
"Man Out Front" also says TCC will get the 2013 US Amateur and they are hammering out some contractual details before an announcement is made.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Still too bad TCC couldn't make the US Open work for 2013. The Am is the next best thing though.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
Still too bad TCC couldn't make the US Open work for 2013. The Am is the next best thing though.
I think you mean "too bad TCC & the USGA couldn't make the US Open work...".

Which course will co-host the Amateur qualifying rounds?  Presumably not the parking lot next door?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »
Which course will co-host the Amateur qualifying rounds?  Presumably not the parking lot next door?

Charles River would likely be on the short list.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »
Charles River did host the State Team Matches a few years ago, with great success.

I played there once, and I always find it enjoyable to watch top-level golfers attack a course I have played.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:16:32 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
TCC has some interesting plans to lengthen the course for the better golfers.

IE a new tee box to the long left of the Par 5 9th (Champ Course) and to make the uphill par-4 12th (Champ Course) into a 600 yard par 5 by putting in a tee box back on the other side of the lake by the 11th green (Champ Course).
H.P.S.

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 05:32:01 PM »
Why would Sebonack want the Women's Open?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
Congrats to Michael P and all the folks at Sebonack.

One can only hope that if Shinnecock Hills and the USGA don't repair their rift that other east end options may be in play for a men's event in the years ahead.

John C:

All clubs interested in the biggest of events must pay their dues with other events. Sebonack is doing the usual goodwill by playing host to the Women's Open and quite frankly will be a major boost to a number of different concerns.

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Book your hotel rooms early in the Hamptons for 2013 -- the Women's Open at Sebonack to start the season and the Walker Cup next door at NGLA to end it.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »
Why would Sebonack want the Women's Open?

John,

A better question might be:  Why wouldn't they want it?

1.) They get some added prestige of being associated with a top USGA event.
2.) They get the chance to give something back to the game of golf.
3.) TV exposure of their wonderful course.

It's terrific that the ownership of the club is moving in this direction.  It's good for the game.

- Peter

Joe Bentham

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
PeterW-
I agree with two of your three points, but I don't think Sebonack cares if anyone sees their course on TV or not.  Its not as if they are actively seeking members....

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
Joe...ego's.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
I just see dealing with the dictation of all sort of maintenace adjustments and possible requests for tweaking here and there as a huge pain in the ass that will detract from the members enjoyment.

And the sad reality that there is virtually zero prestige in hosting the ladies, and no one will watch it on television.

Actually hosting the Ladies is probably alot more simple than hosting the men, because the USGA is not going to put in the demands for a women's tournamnent; but as Matt points out, they're after the big one, Then the misery begins
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
And the sad reality that there is virtually zero prestige in hosting the ladies, and no one will watch it on television.

There is virtually ZERO prestige in hosting the Women's Open?

NO one will watch it on television?

I know you did not mean this literally.  Nevertheless, I think the Women's Open is a better event then you give it credit.

Some great courses that are not adequate for the Men's Open (for a variety of reasons) have hosted the Women's Open.  The Women's Open is often the most exciting LPGA event of the year.

Even when I was in high school and college in the 1980s and working in bag rooms we would watch all of the Women's Open on TV.  (And high school and college boys are not exactly the most enlightened bunch per women's sports.)

Some of the great courses I have seen on TV due to the Women's Open include Prairie Dunes, The Orchards, Pine Needles, Newport, Indianwood, Salem, Plainfield, Baltimore and Crooked Stick.

Some of these courses have hosted the Men's Am or the Senior Open, but it is likely that none of these courses may every host the Men's Open.  For these clubs the Women's Open was possibly a special opportunity for the members to showcase their course and participate in the premier women’s golf event.

For a membership that loves golf, it can be worth the sacrifices to see great players enjoy your home course, and see how well your course can test the best in the game.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back