News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Maps of Sandy Soil Areas
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Is there a site on the web where you can go to get maps of the sandy soil based areas in the country?

Chris Garrett

Re: Maps of Sandy Soil Areas
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
I was going to ask the same thing.  Also, for those with knowledge, could you compare and contrast the sand hills of NC/SC to the sand hills of NE/CO - both quality of golfing terrain and cost of land?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:37:06 PM by Chris Garrett »

David Druzisky

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Try http://soils.usda.gov to get to the US Dept of Agriculture conservation service.

DbD

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
I had always found that County land planning and zoning offices are best for various maps, like soils, overflights, platte maps of property owners, and topos.  Also, State Highway, DOT or what ever in your particular State.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
As a geography teacher, just thought I would throw my two cents in about sandy soil areas.  A lot of land on the east and west coast have sandy areas because the beaches eroded over time and left large sand deposits.  Like Pine Valley, in NJ, it was once covered by the ocean thousands of years ago.  Believe it or not, a lot of the midwest was once also covered by the ocean so places like the Sand Hills of Nebraska have sand because it was once the ocean floor.  So primarily, the US has sandy soil on the coast and in parts of the midwest which was once the ocean floor.

David Schofield

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
In my job, I use the NRCS Web Soil Survey quite a bit.  I don't know how it would work on the "macro" scale that you are likely looking for, however.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

Then click on "Start WSS"

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/users/menke/envdata/quality/map/

This interactive geology map is hard to use but if you know what you are doing it will give good information, not only on sandy soils, but also likely types of sand.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »
Pretty good map of sandy soil areas.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
platte maps

One of the great Freudian tyops.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Chris Garrett

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
Chip,

Great map you provided, and great tool to play around with on the Penn State site.  Thanks for posting it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back