News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Ballyneal
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
I just returned from my 2nd trip to Ballyneal and I came away hugely impressed.

The course played firm, fast and fun.

The greens were running fatser than late last fall; this combined with their wild undulations, made it difficult to get approach shots close to the pin. 

The more I played the more it felt truly like playing a true links:  playing short of the greens and using your head to get around.

The new facilities look great and should be done later this summer.

The golf was a blast and Rupert seems to be everything right.

mike_beene

Re: Ballyneal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:43 AM »
Ballyneal is very tempting to a Dallas person.How hot is it? Summer golf here is almost not an option.

kconway

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:56 AM »
mike,

it was in the 70s and 80s this week with a constant 15-20 mph breeze.  enough wind to make you think, but not too much to take the fun out of playing.

i think the weather in the summer is mostly 80s to 90s with low humidity.

kelly

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »
Mike: I've been there twice in July and it is hot but there usually is a breeze and things are so low key that you really don't think about the heat.  Get up, have a leisurely breakfast, walk 18 - remember, no carts, go back to the room and relax and read a book.  Go out late afternoon for some more golf - course  routing is incredible - an infinite number of different loops available so just play whatever holes you feel like.  Remember, it's just pure golf and nothing else to distract you.

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »
Kelly,

When were you there?  I was there over this past weekend and loved every minute of it.

Jason

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »
Yes BN has grown into it's potential. In the 3 summer seasons not two have been similar. In a big way BN is a gca.com child. Built with all the core principles it is quickly becoming the world class venue Ran and others recognized early on.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:37 PM »
I shall be playing Ballyneal this Monday and Tuesday. We are staying ongrounds. I am curious as to the casualness of the accomodations. Are shorts acceptable in the dining areas and common areas? I assume caddies are available as this is all walking? I understand Ballyneal has 4 Evans Scholars-can we request them as caddies ? Any info is welcome, Thanks, Jack

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
I have never seen a routing of Ballyneal.Can anyone post one? Also,is the club full? How much play does it get?

Adam Clayman

Re: Ballyneal New
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
Jack, The casualness is high. Shorts are fine in the dining room and elsehwere. Call and ask to talk to Garret to request the caddy you'd like. Tatum is one of the newest scholarship winners and she's a pistol.

Mike, I think the club still has a few memberships available. As a walking only facility, the routing is excellent.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:56:57 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »
Adam,after 15 tries clicking on it...now I get it.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Ballyneal is very tempting to a Dallas person.How hot is it? Summer golf here is almost not an option.

Mike, Though Ballyneal is by all accounts a great option you might be surprised how enjoyable Cabo is this time of year... at least for the nest 4-6 weeks.

Joey Smith

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:13:51 PM »
I'm play BN in July -

Is it a difficult walk?
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »
Joey, If I can do it in my crippled state, it's not a tough walk.

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
Greg,no doubt Cabo is beautiful,but my contempt for the golf cart makes it a nonstarter.Even better,I love the flow of a round where no one in front or behind is using a cart.The stopping and starting and darting about just doesn't appeal to me,nor to the transition in my swing.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
Joey--

Ballyneal is VERY walkable and an enjoyable place to play golf.  I'll be curious to hear what you think, but IMHO it's great stuff.

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
Joey,

You will feel the burn after 72 holes, Jerry’s advice is right on.   Fight the urge after your first 18 to run back to the #1 tee.  In between 18s I went back to my room after lunch, sat down in the AC to watch the US Open, woke up an hour later and teed off at 4pm.

J.

Joey Smith

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59:21 PM »
Thanks Adam, Jason and Adam - -

I can't wait.  I give a full report - in my brief manner.

Joey
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »
Joey-

Ballyneal is a fantastic.  Doak and team did a great great job.

I played last September and the course played firm and fast and the wind makes it a ton of fun.  The 8th is one of best you will play.  Enjoy!

Chip

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:25 AM »

Great course but it is hot for sure.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

astavrides

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:51 AM »
That first picture of the 8th makes it look like it is 3 miles long.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
those pictures are (in this order) #4 tee, #8 green, #15 tee

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
Cary, The summer you visited it was 105 every day with convection oven type winds. Last summer it never got over 100 degrees. This year we have yet to have any days in a row where the 90 degree mark has been repeated. But, Summer starts today.

Jason, I'm glad you guys waited until 4 pm. I'll assume you walked up the 18th around 7:30. Was it like I said?

Scott Szabo

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
those pictures are (in this order) #4 tee, #8 green, #15 tee

Chip,

If I'm not mistaken, the third picture is of the par-3 11th hole, rather than the 15th.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
yep, sorry about that.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
That's a pretty neat hole - playing slightly downhill (I think) from the back tee, but as you gradually go from tee to tee, it gets shorter but more uphill.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back