News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Dornoch, Brora, Golspie and Pitlochry
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »
Unlike my Buda-attending brothers I am already back on my native side of the Atlantic after a week in the Highlands. The main feature of the trip was four rounds over the Championship course at Royal Dornoch. Side trips to Brora and Golspie, a weekend stopover in Perthshire and a round on the Struie were planned as "bonus" accompaniments but I'm not sure that designation turned out to be fair given my own personal situation and experiences.

First off, the RDGC championship course is no doubt a great golf course. But due to the contingencies of weather and my own recent layoff from playing and practicing golf I'm really unable to say just where it falls in my own pantheon of great courses. I nominally experienced four rounds (as my still-overheated Mastercard bears witness) but in reality it was only during our final "getaway" round on Friday evening that I was finally able to play the course from start to finish as a golfing participant rather than walking along slinging the occasional ball into the whins and failing to finish numerous holes each round. Heavy winds, cool temps and rain showers also served as unfortunate distractions.

So from that limited perspective let me say that playing at Dornoch on Friday evening was one of my most special rounds ever, especially during the second nine. The sun was out for its first sustained visit of the week, highlighting the shores of the Firth behind us and casting "golden hour" shadows across the course as we played (although being June there were in fact several more "golden hours" left in the evening which lasted until near midnight). And for whatever reason, I was advancing the ball hole after hole and actually "scoring" bogies and a couple of pars rather than being out of play after a couple strokes as I had done all week. Just a wonderful time to be fortunate enough to walk that very special ground. Almost impossible to believe that a few hours earlier we were huddled in our rain suits against icy blasts of rain propelled by 30mph wind gusts during our morning matches at Golspie.

As for particular holes, the Par 3's at Dornoch stand out as huge challenges that by and large remained insurmountable for me. The tenth hole is the best of the lot in my estimation and I would dearly love to hit and hold that green at some point in my life. During my last round I thought the left front bunker would offer an easier opportunity for three or four than missing right or left but I was mistaken. The other one-shotter on the back nine is easier by far yet every one of the four time I played it the green rejected my best shots and left me with tricky short-game challenges. Only the sixth hole proved straightforward, giving the option of playing short of the green but still facing a straightforward chip and putt. And enough said about the second, it is as advertised a real bear in any wind at all. Especially early in the round at a course with no warmup facilities.

I'm not going to comment in any great detail on the Par 4 and Par 5 holes because being in my pocket twice or more doesn't lend itself to careful study. I like the stretch of 3-4-5 and the seventh is more than worth the climb from the sixth green, what an amazing vista and a misleadingly simple-looking hole that is no pushover. I think everyone must love the eighth with its exciting over-the-hill blind tee shot, as well as its more difficult brother the seventeenth. I never did get to play eighteen, not managing to put a tee shot in play in four tries. The "Foxy" green complex is everything you've heard and more but remains an impregnable fortress for my puny shots. Twice I hit the "perfect" shot landing within a foot or two of my target and both were rejected with impunity. I love the fifteenth hole but then I'm a sucker for a short Par 4 with a plateau green.

So the Royal Dornoch portion of my trip was perhaps less than I had hoped for but OTOH two trips to Brora and my visit to Pitlochry far exceed my expectations. Maybe that says more about my golf game than about the courses but I'll post more when I get a chance. I even have a few pictures of the latter but for now I'll just say that either of those is absolutely a must-see in my opinion. Brora is one of those places where I felt completely at home within minutes of pulling into the parking lot and if possible Pitlochry seemed even more comfortable. But details and photos later...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:13:35 PM by Brent Hutto »

Ken Moum

Re: Dornoch, Brora, Golspie and Pitlochry
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
Brent,

I have been reluctant to say all that much about consecutive rounds at Cruden Bay, Nairn, RDGC, Brora and Boat of Garten, because of the love poured out here for Dornoch.

I, unfortunately, only got to play it once, and would like to go back if only to see if I can figure out why everyone thinks it's heaven on earth.

Like you, I wasn't playing well at any time during the two weeks I was in Scotland, which may explain why I loved Brora and barely tolerated Dornoch.

The simple fact is that Dornoch was too damned hard for me to enjoy. And I played it in benign weather!

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
Boys

I think you need to see Dornoch again.  Its a great mix of beauty, playability and challenge.  Having said that, on my last trip back my appreciation for Brora sky rocketed.  As I said before, I would be just as happy playing Brora as I would Dornoch.  I also said before that Brora is imo a destination course whether or not Dornoch is just down the road - its that good.  The combination of the courses is a cracking one-two punch.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »
Given the constraints of conditions and my golf game I'm hesitant to say anything definitive about Royal Dornoch. But if pressed I might say that either Brora or Dornoch is sufficient as the sole basis of a multi-round golf holiday. Fortunately, we don't have to choose as they are so close together but if/when I make my way to the Highlands again I may well schedule multiple days at Brora and only a single or two rounds at RDGC.

I don't think one could overwhelm Brora as long as there is a fair breeze, even low handicappers. And I know that it still offers a fun day at the beach for a bogey golfer on a bad day even if the scorecard gets really ugly. So in that sense it may be a safer bet for weaker player or for a mixture. In greatest part it's due to the possibility of playing the same ball all day (as I did) at Brora when offline shots at Dornoch would be swallowed in gorse.

Ken,

I think Dornoch has enough penal stretches of gorse and sufficiently difficult-to-hold greens that double-digit handicappers are going to find more frustration than adventure there when playing poorly. Perhaps a low-marker can "scrape it around" and still derive enjoyment but I found the particular difficulties presented to be such that a 17 playing like a 27 just doesn't have any way to get back in position and grind out a double-bogey or whatever after a lost ball or a bad bounce into a particularly nasty position.

P.S. Let me amplify on the "play Dornoch again" thing. If I were to return to the area again and if I were still a shaky 17-handicap or similar I would not play the championship course (or the Struie for that matter) under seriously challenging conditions. I would arrange to be there for several days if possible and if on the appointed day for playing at Dornoch the wind was 20-gusting-30 (like our first afternoon) or there was a 15mph breeze and cold rain I'd opt for a round elsewhere and hope for a better day on which to tackle it. And if I ever find myself in the situation I did on Tuesday morning, playing the Struie under purely miserable conditions and having foolishly left my heavy-weather gear back at the flat I would unashamedly walk in after about the third or four lost ball (which in this case was early in the first nine holes).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:06:06 PM by Brent Hutto »

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
Boys

I think you need to see Dornoch again.  Its a great mix of beauty, playability and challenge.  Having said that, on my last trip back my appreciation for Brora sky rocketed.  As I said before, I would be just as happy playing Brora as I would Dornoch.  I also said before that Brora is imo a destination course whether or not Dornoch is just down the road - its that good.  The combination of the courses is a cracking one-two punch.

Ciao

I fully agree with Sean here.  I played Dornoch twice in the same day last year and walked off the 18th after round #1 wondering what all the fuss was about.  I am happy to say that the light came on in round #2 (both for the course and for my game) and I shot the lowest round of my entire trip.  I think part of the reason a lot of people feel like this is that the course seems to be very subtle in how it reveals itself and even walking over the hill to 3 tee, one looks out with more of a feeling of wonder and curiosity than anything else.  Turns out, it is not until you finish the round and continually look back on shots played and the design of the holes that you really begin to appreciate the course. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:53 PM »
I think part of the reason a lot of people feel like this is that the course seems to be very subtle in how it reveals itself and even walking over the hill to 3 tee, one looks out with more of a feeling of wonder and curiosity than anything else.  Turns out, it is not until you finish the round and continually look back on shots played and the design of the holes that you really begin to appreciate the course. 

I would tend to agree with that, to the best of my knowledge. But "shots played and the design of the holes" is the rub. A short-hitting bogey golfer fighting pull-hooks and toe shanks just doesn't get to play very many holes with shots that illuminate those subtle design features. It took me four $170 rounds to accumulate a glimmer of that insight on the majority of the holes but there are still a couple of them (like eighteen) which remain a closed book to me, pending another visit a few years down the road. Frustrating.

Just for an additional bit of venting, let me say along with another of the McBride crew that 20 minutes a day on a driving range would have admitted the possibility of being better able to appreciate the course by hitting proper shots. I know that'll bring the traditionalists out of the woodwork to dismiss the concept of warmup and swing practice but given that my swing finally came around by my last (seventh) day of golf I have to wonder if I couldn't have salvaged a few earlier days of enjoyment if given a couple dozen range balls at some point...

CJ Carder

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »
Just for an additional bit of venting, let me say along with another of the McBride crew that 20 minutes a day on a driving range would have admitted the possibility of being better able to appreciate the course by hitting proper shots. I know that'll bring the traditionalists out of the woodwork to dismiss the concept of warmup and swing practice but given that my swing finally came around by my last (seventh) day of golf I have to wonder if I couldn't have salvaged a few earlier days of enjoyment if given a couple dozen range balls at some point...

Brent,

You mean to tell me that the platform tee covered with gravel and the net in the parking lot wasn't sufficient for you?   :)

I agree though about your comment that you need to be playing well to pick up on a lot of the subtleties.  I have often wondered if I would have enjoyed the course as much if I had shot 85 during the 2nd round like I did in the morning instead of my 73.

Perhaps a good case in point was my 17th hole the 2nd time around.  I flared a 4-iron right and it ran down the hill leaving me with about 215 in.  Knowing that I was only +1 at the time, I knew a bogey wouldn't kill me, but another flare right or pull left would leave me in the gorse with a lost ball.  I laid up to about 105, hit wedge up the hill to a blind hole, and holed the putt from 6 feet for par.  Had I needed to go for the green to square a match, I probably could have done so, but it would have required a helluva shot.  Even taking the "safer" way out was no bargain thanks to the severe uphill slope in front of that green complex.  To me, that was cool.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
I'm going to skip ahead to Pitlochry since I just finished downloading my photos. I apologize for the (lack of) quality but some of the more exposed holes were a bit breezy and due to operator error the electromechanical stabilization in the camera was turned off on some shots. I also inadvertently turned on exposure compensation on the last few shots, truly playing golf and taking pictures do not coexist easily.

I didn't think to take the camera out until after finishing the second hole but here's one photo from after the round that has the uphill first fairway in the background (with the eighteenth foregrounded). This was taken from the path that separates the eighteenth green from the clubhouse. BTW they are only 30 yards apart which is typical spacing for Pitlochry's rather compact, old-fashioned routing.

The first five holes are uphill, uphill, uphill, crosshill (Par 3) and uphill respectively. I ask the club Captain which wind direction made the course play toughest and he said it was from the North because the first five are uphill and upwind. That is the prevailing direction and on the two days I played it was primarily from the Northwest. I tend to agree with his assessment. For a short course those first five holes played like five miles on 12-13C temps and 10-15mph breezes (with stronger gusts during my first round). I need to find a small-interval topo map but I'd say the overall climb from clubhouse to fifth green is probably 300 feet or a bit more. Then just to add insult to injury there's an additional set of steps leading up 20 feet or so to the back tees on the sixth before you're finally allowed to start downhill (only to return uphill several more times later in the round).

As you can see from the above photo, the first fairway is well bunkered. In addition to being slightly uphill on the tee shot (landing into an uphill and left-to-right slope) and severely uphill from there to the green you will also likely have a sidehill lie for the second and there is a burn (lateral hazard) running along the right side of the hole. It's a tough an opening hole as I'd care to see on an under-6,000 yard Par 69 "short" resort course. The medal tees for the second are atop a 30-foot hill to the left of the first green and you hit over a slight valley to an upsloping fairway with OB right.

Personal Note: During my medal round on Saturday I took eight on the first hole when a shot from a fairway bunker clipped the lip, popped high into the air, was blown backward by a gust of wind and landed squarely atop my noggin. I never saw the ball due to sand in my eyes but that's what my two fellow competitors described. I followed this with an eight on the second after pulling the ball into the out-of-bounds pasture. Don't you love having a scorecard in your hand on days like that?

Anyway, after a successful tee shot on the second there's a blind, long approach over a ridge to a smallish green which has a rise in front of it to deflect runups. Here's a picture looking back over the second green from between there and the third tee. From pin position for the open competitions, natch.

More climbing to the third tee where you're facing this uphill/sidehill dogleg-right beauty. A very short hole at well under 300 yards from even the medal tees but due to the slope and the wind and the tilt of the green (not to mention more OB right) I would not consider it drivable with a scorecard in your hand for even the strongest player.

Better a 180-190 yard shot to the left side of the fairway leaving proper angel, especially to this weekends back-right hole location.

Here are two photos from behind the third green.

The second photo gives a sense of how far the course has climbed to the point of reaching the tee of the Par 3 fourth hole. You can just catch a glimpse of the red clubhouse roof at the left edge of the last photo. At this point you get a breather with basically a sidehill (and crosswind in the prevailing northerly) shot to the fourth green before resuming the climb at a more gentle slope up the fifth fairway.

Personal Note:I arrived in Pitlochry on Saturday morning exactly an hour before my tee time in the Athol Palace Open event. I stopped off to unload my luggage and change clothes at my B&B in the village of Moulin, just at the foot of the golf course and then decided to walk the 3/4 mile up the hill to the clubhouse. I missed the rather narrow and unobvious "Golf Course Road" and continued walking all the way up the gravel path to the fourth tee before asking a golfer where the clubhouse was located. He then pointed back down the path shown in the above picture. To make matter worse, the forecast was for cold and rain so I was dressed in thermal underwear and a full rain suit including hat along with toting my golf bag, shoes and a 2-liter bottle of water. So by the time I trekked the 1/2 mile back to the clubhouse I had not only missed my tee time but was literally running sweat out of my rain pants and jacket legs since the weather was in fact 13C and sunny. I was rescheduled into a later tee time but suspect that my 8-8-6 start was in part due to being overheated, exhausted, out of breath and without even a moment's warmup or practice putting. But I still had a great day score notwithstanding!

Onward to the fourth hole, first of the three one-shotters at Pitlochry. There are no Par 5's by the way, just Par 4's of every conceivable length leading to a course Par of 69. The visitor's SSS is 72 and for members it is 69. With the wind direction I experienced, it was playing across from right to left with bunkers right and a falloff down to adjacent tees on the left. So the goal is to miss on the upwind side. During the medal round from the back tees I made bogey from a right-hand bunker and from the visitors tees the next day attempted a runup shot which was rejected into a left-hand bunker for another bogey. The sand was soft, dry and course and I didn't see anyone get spin out of a bunker all weekend. A good bunker shot tended to be one that only bounced high once and rolled out within 15 feet on the firm and reasonably quick greens.

Here's the green on the second day, looking from the right side of the green back down the hill toward clubhouse, village and overlooking parts of the back nine.

The gentleman in the latter photo is teeing off on the ninth hole from a tee below the fourth green, actually back toward the third green.

Here's a picture of the fifth fairway, from the front tee. It's hardly uphill at all until about 60 yards short of the green which is atop a 30-foot-tall plateau and blind from the fairway. You can just make out the tall, black-and-white aiming pole behind the green.

And here's a photo looking back from basically the base of that pole (I lipped out that par putt BTW). Except for the steps leading up to the medal tee on the sixth this is the high point of the course. I'm out of breath and sweating just looking at the picture...

Personal Note:I had a lucky pitch-in recovery shot for bogey during the medal round, having chipped out of the trees after my second shot sliced far left (there is OB right along the wall separating the course from the walking path up Craigower Hill) and my fourth shots was hit into the rough on the upslope to the plateau. It was just that kind of day, gentle reader.

Time to take a break, having reached the top of the hill. Later today I'll post more photos from the front nine and at least get a start on the second nine. There are still several trips up and down hills to go but no more 1/2-mile 10% continuous climbs thank goodness.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:38:57 PM by Brent Hutto »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
Brent

We had a trip to Pitlochry last June and it is great to see your photos.

I enjoyed Pitlochry. We stayed there for a quiet stop over on our way from Prestwick GC to Tain GC. Our hotel was most pleasant as well, called Knockendarroch House Hotel (http://www.knockendarroch.co.uk/ ).

Never took any photos myself, but I was tired at the end of the day but recovered well in the hotel with a nice meal and a few drinks.

That’s part of the fun of playing golf in Scotland, there is a tremendous choice and you can generally find an uncluttered course if you play away from the well known clubs. Never did get round to any fishing in the river (Tummel?)

Thanks for the memories.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
Great photos, thanks for the effort.  
Reading the thread on Dornach brings back recent memories of playing Dornach with sun and snow squalls on about every other hole.  I too though 10 was a great par 3 but couldn't see it through the snow until I got to the green and the sun came out.  

I guess that's why they say you can get all four seasons in one round.

It's disheartening to read how everyone seems to relate the quality of a course as a direct relationship as to 'how they played'.  Perhaps, if you took the time to just walk the course without playing first, you may see the course as it is intended to be seen.  (you may actually get to walk down the middle of the fairway too!)

This is my main gripe about "Course Raters".  They actually play.  If they play badly (or hit to somewhere they shouldn't because they just didn't know any better) how can that not affect their opinion.

One side note, I did notice that at many courses over there they seem to be hacking back the Gorse.  While it truely separates American attempts at "Links" design from the original and adds a texture and beauty to the landscape (take the view from the clubhouse at Cruden Bay when the Gorse is in bloom - just spectacular), I, for one, could stand for a bit less of it in the driving zone.  #17 at Dornach leaves absolutely no margin for error off the tee.  My caddie referred to it as Lion Country.  I asked if he meant it was a jungle? He replied "na laddie, if ya hit it in thar and say ya fuond it, ya's lying".

Coasting is a downhill process

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
Melvyn,

My stopover in Pitlochry was a hastily-arranged addition to my itinerary but on a longer return visit (hopefully) I would definitely check out Knockendarroch, especially if I manage to convince my wife to accompany me. I found a little B&B in Moulin with a late single vacancy at the last moment and it was quite sufficient but nothing like the same league as Knockendarroch of course.

Tim,

Reading back over my comments, I see that I strayed from my original intent. My disappointment concerning Royal Dornoch was entirely that of not being able to judge one way or the other about how it stacks up among the finer courses I've played. It is clearly in the upper ranks but without playing it a couple of times with some degree of control over my golf ball I can't offer an informed opinion as to whether it is near-great, truly great or perhaps even the finest course I've seen. For now I'll have to settle for saying it offers a huge challenge in difficult conditions and that the challenge presented by the tricky green complexes appear to propagate back to the tee shot on at least several holes that I can think of. That alone is a fine compliment and I suspect that further study will produce more praise rather than less.

About the gorse, there were several places it had been trimmed back substantially and the caddies were telling us that there's an ongoing rotation program for gorse removal every so many years in virtually every spot on the course. Otherwise it would soon be wall to wall claustriphobia. And on the Struie there were some fairly massive areas of recently-removed gorse as well.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
The sixth hole plays back downhill, from a raised tee box to boot. It is a shortish Par 4 (lots of those at Pitlochry, one reason I think the course is so fun to play) but not really drivable at around 350 yards. For me it basically means a driver to about the 100 yard mark, avoiding going left into small trees and thick rough. Here's the view from the front tee box, before climbing up to the yellow and white tees.

Then there's a right-hand turn to the seventh hole which plays crosswind, slightly downhill and is definitely drivable for bigger hitters. Flat mostly unprotected green although a bunker eats in to the right front corner, eliminating any running shot option if you're far right of the fairway or in the right rough. I didn't get any pictures of the hole itself but here's a panoramic scene to the left back toward the second nine and the village.

Next comes the very fine eighth hole with a downhill tee shot to a fairway that runs parallel to the seventh. I really like that little detail of routing, the seventh hole plays slightly downhill to the west then right next to the green is the tee for the eighth which plays back in the opposite direction (east) but continues downhill in a switchback fashion.

But what makes the eighth hole is the last 100 yards of fairway and its elevated headland of a green complex.

I wish I had pictures of the ninth hole. Distance-wise it is an eminently drivable Par 4, a severely downhill dogleg-left hole of less than 350 yards. On a straight line from tee to green it is probably 310-320 yards with a 70-foot+ drop in elevation but that direct line is over a patch of woods containing a house and the entire parcel is out of bounds. There is a local rule specifying that shots must not be played over the OB so one is presumably disqualified even if the OB is carried and a powerful drive flies all the way to the green. The green is canted away from the incoming shot anyway so such a shot would bound another 100 yards down the hill anyway. What you're left with is a mid-iron layup down the hill to get a clear view of the green and then a 100-140 yard shot from a severely sidehill lie to a heavily bunker (in front) green. Sure wish I had thought to pull out the camera. I made bogey both times I play the hole which actually isn't a terrible score to my mind, although two players during the open competition managed to eagle the hole.

That's it for the first nine. At this point the player has worked his or her way about halfway back down the hill from the course's high point. There's a back-and-forth few holes that go back up a bit at one point while ultimately working down to the eighteenth tee box perched about 70-80 feet above the clubhouse. I'll post those pictures this evening...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
The tenth hole is the #1 stroke index and rightly so. It is one of the few long holes at Pitlochry and the terrain presents challenges to both tee and approach shots. First, the tee shot is to a severely sloping right-to-left fairway and IMO no ball without right-hand sidespin is going to remain in the short grass. However it is "only" 270-ish yards from the back tees to the high point on that ridge, albeit uphill slightly. With a following breeze (which is not the prevailing direction) I'm sure big hitter can overpower the hole but probably not so often with a cross or hurting wind.

Then the second shot is blind over the ridge to a fairway that runs down and to the left to a medium-sized green. The main challenge in the approach shot is that you'll be hitting [from the left rough (most likely) from a severe sidehill lie and trying to avoid the heavy rough that is right of the fairway once the ridge is crested. But if you avoid the pulled or hooked shot the ball will feed right down onto the green or to the grassy hollows on the sides. The green is partly visible in the next photo of the eleventh hole.

The second of the Par 3 holes is uphill with OB definitely in play to the right. It is on an exposed high portion of the course and with a following breeze the semi-blind green seems quite hard to hold. Plenty of smallish bunkers surround the green but like most at Pitlochry (but not all!) they are shallow and easy to play from.

Adjacent to the eleventh green is the tee for the downhill twelfth hole. The fairway will try to take your ball to the right to be snookered behind a few trees so it is best to start it as far left as you dare. It's over 400 yards to the green but plays much shorter due to the slope. There is also a wee burn that crosses a good ways back from the green but it's not really in play given the length of the approach shot. Here is a photo from 50-ish yards in front of the tee boxes (sorry, forgot to snap a picture before starting down the hill).

Personal Note:I got my one really lucky break of the medal round on this hole. After a fine lefty-draw tee shot I hit a terrible shot off the toe of my hybrid club and into the thick left rough about 100 yards from the green. Somehow it landed on a concrete drain cover and my driver was just barely long enough to let my drop point be in the semi-rough on a steep sideslope. After two drop-and-rolls I was able to place the ball, hit it onto the green and two putt for a bogey that could have been much worse.

The thirteenth hole turns around and climbs part-way up the same hill. It plays about the same length as the downhill twelfth and has a raised and bunkered green complex. Quite tough sledding with a wind hurting and from the right, at least for this short hitter.

Before continuing up the hill it's nice to take in yet another fine view of the surroundings:

The fourteenth hole is a real fun ride. Severely downhill, drivable Par 4 with a ridge right in the landing area for "normal" drives that obscures the view of the final 40-50 yards of fairway. There are also trees and rough to make accuracy a priority although the open area actually widens out as you get closer to the green. I had a terrible bounce after landing atop the ridge during the open competition but one can just as easily get a kick forward right onto the green.

The fun continues with a reversal of direction back uphill on the equally short (but plays longer of course, a real two-shotter) fifteenth hole. The tee is atop a ridge, the fairway doglegs right just at the landing zone and the green is similar to the thirteenth except with much more contour to the putting surface, especially hole locations on the right side (unfortunately no picture of the green). Here is a photo of the tee shot from the perspective of the yellow visitor's tee. The white medal tee is much higher and tucked back to the right somewhat.

The second photo is from down in front of the tee box, hopefully to show additional detail...well maybe not...

Now we come to The Heartbreaker, the sixteenth hole, a 180-yard destroyer of scorecards. Folks, I'm here to tell you it is far narrower than it looks and the right side is OB all the way.

The photo is from the visitor tee, a mere 160 yards or so. The photo does not capture the intimidation of the narrowness and of course it's even moreso from 20 yards further back during a medal event. 

Personal Note:The main hazard is not the OB but rather those trees and knee-high rough on the left. Yours truly lost a ball there during the open event and even if the ball is found it leaves one hacking out of hay or off tree roots to a green running away. On my second round I hit a "perfect" shot that just eluded the overhanging branches but unfortunately I misjudged the club on the drop shot and the ball one-hopped into a front bunker leading to another bogey. Other than the lost ball on sixteen in the medal round I was a perfect six-for-six bogeying the Par 3 holes over two days (including bogey on my second ball for a triple).

It's all downhill from here with a considerable drop to the seventeenth green (reminiscent of the fourteenth) and then an exhilarating drop shot off the tee of eighteen. First, the view from the seventeenth fairway where you can just make out the red flag to the left. It is a tricky green with an irregular foot-high "tier" line snaking through it (and the hole predictably just on top of the rise for tournament play).

Then a look from near the green over to the eighteenth tee

Unfortunately no view from the tee but there's this look back up the fairway from the green. There is a narrow burn crossing a few yards in front of the green. The hole is short enough that any 240-yard driver of the ball could reach it if not for the burn (by that I mean it's a 320-yard hole that plays more like 260 because of the drop-shot). It was a big surprise to me how many of the competitors in the open event and the next morning's junior open rolled their ball into the burn and had to drop rather than laying back to a good wedge distance. I guess it's just too much fun to see how far you can hit it down a nearly 100 foot hill.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:03:51 PM by Brent Hutto »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back