News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Longest threads of all-time on this site
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
The Merion saga brings back memories of a thread about the Bridge.  What are the longest threads in golfclubatlas.com history?

Nominees that I remember:

* The Bridge
* Michelle Wie
* Merion

Anything else run extremely long?  Does someone more savvy than me know how to go into the archives and sort out a Top 10 or Top 5?  While you can easily say threads like this should be forgotten, I'll see my glass as half-full and point out that these prove that the posters frequenting the site are impassioned.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Longest threads of all-time on this site
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
John,

The Cobb's Creek thread hit about 975...hopefully more in the future.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Yeah, Cobbs Creek is the longest I remember, a good bit longer than the Merion threads, and far more civil. But I think its somewhat rare that a thread goes more than 5 or 6 pages and 125 posts.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
Shivas's Cheater Line

1153 posts

33 pages
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:18:54 PM by Eric Smith »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:36 PM »
There have been 31368 threads started on this site.  If you name them all this will be the longest thread of all.  Congrats on your excellent contribution.

Matthew Hunt

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »
The longest thread I recall was my "Another Piece of the Puzzle" thread started in the fall of 2006, not surprisngly about Merion.  At one point the thread was over 50 pages long.

The amazing thing about the thread is that it is now only 29 pages, at one time it was reduced from over 50 pages to the mid-twenties.  At the time one could delete their post as if it never happened.

Around the time Tom MacWood left the site, the attention of some uninvolved posters focused on the behavior of Wayne and TEPaul toward MacWood, me, and others who disagreed with them about Meiron.  This prompted Wayne and TEPaul to delete the posts even they recognized as being rude, offensive, or otherwise out of line.   They did not delete all their posts, just the egregious  ones.    This amounted to the deletion of between 600 and 700 rude, offensive, or out-of-line posts in a single thread.   

The Merion bunker threads were quite long, as I recall.  I don't think I was involved in them.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
I thought The Bridge thread was as longer & as terse & argumetative as any of the Merion threads. For a long time it was the high water mark on this site. Too bad it's no longer around
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
David,

The number of posts per page has changed with the new format making page count historically moot.

DMoriarty

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
David,

The number of posts per page has changed with the new format making page count historically moot.

That is right.  I forgot about that.  Did that happen after fall of 2006?  If so then I stand corrected, as I recall the old pages had 20 or 25 posts.  Is that correct?   If so then only 500 to  625 rude and obnoxious posts were deleted.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
David,

At some point there has to be a thread where a "Merion the other guy pissed on me and was way-off base" thread finally isn't mentioned.

let's let this one go for a change...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back