News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Best opens of the last ten years
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »
No love for 1982?  The day my heart was forever broken and I finally had to admit Nicklaus wasn't a true and real god?

TH

Huck, get ready for history to repeat itself.  Karma and  Rocco are going to open up a can on Tiger today.  

Mike

In discussing this with my Dad last night, I mentioned the names Jack Fleck and Billy Casper.

So oh yes I am prepared for this eventuality... and if it occurs, well it won't break my heart.  I do root strongly for Tiger.  He's just not my hero.  There's only golfer for that... the guy who lost in 1982.

TH

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »
In the last 10 years, 08, 06, and 99 are a push for me with respect to entertainment. All for entirely different reasons, which is the beauty of this tournament. Tiger's display on the first few holes yesterday reminded me more of the KP6 8). That was eerie.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »
1990 -- The longest modern-day open, 91 holes, featuring Irwin's bomb on 18 to get into a playoff against the ultimate journeyman in Donald.

Phil -- The longest modern-day Open was actually in 1994 at Oakmont when Els and Roberts when three extra holes after the 18 hole playoff.

As for me, well, 1999 will always be special. Huck, do you still remember Jack Whitacker sitting on the beach with Nicklaus (who thought he won) and saying, "Mr. Nicklaus, it was a pleasure to be in your time. Now over to 17...."  :'(

John_Conley

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »
What I'll always remember about Payne Stewart over Mickelson in 1999 is the way he made three straight putts of about 15' to close with his See More putter.  I seem to recall two were for par and only one was for birdie.  Mickelson did everything right to win and then the knickered one poured in everything he looked at in the last hour.

2006 was an unreal, almost Van de Velde-like finish.  Some guy won that was hardly ever a factor.

2008 is certainly one of the most entertaining.  Now if Rocco can hold off the Tiger it will be a nice feel-good tale of the underdog.  (An Eldrick win gives some the feel-good tale of overcoming injury and perseverance.)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 10:35:12 AM »
Tony:

I remember far too much of the events of 1982.  Interesting also.. I think I was channeling Jack Whitaker last night... another thing I told my Dad:  we are lucky to be alive to be watching this.

Re 1982 though, the main memory is this exchange with the same man:

Dad:  he's way long (meaning Watson's shot on 17)!  Your hero's gonna win!

Tom:  "yeah, watch, he'll chip this in" (out of total disgust after years of Watson breaking my heart getting up and down from trash cans)

Sigh......

1999 was pretty darn cool... although I was rooting for Phil.

TH

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
1990 -- The longest modern-day open, 91 holes, featuring Irwin's bomb on 18 to get into a playoff against the ultimate journeyman in Donald.

Phil -- The longest modern-day Open was actually in 1994 at Oakmont when Els and Roberts when three extra holes after the 18 hole playoff.

As for me, well, 1999 will always be special. Huck, do you still remember Jack Whitacker sitting on the beach with Nicklaus (who thought he won) and saying, "Mr. Nicklaus, it was a pleasure to be in your time. Now over to 17...."  :'(

Tony:

You are correct, technically. My own personal history list (never published) has an asterisk next to Els' win because of the faulty ruling he received. Absent that, Roberts wins in 90 holes.

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
What I'll always remember about Payne Stewart over Mickelson in 1999 is the way he made three straight putts of about 15' to close with his See More putter.  I seem to recall two were for par and only one was for birdie.  Mickelson did everything right to win and then the knickered one poured in everything he looked at in the last hour.

2006 was an unreal, almost Van de Velde-like finish.  Some guy won that was hardly ever a factor.

2008 is certainly one of the most entertaining.  Now if Rocco can hold off the Tiger it will be a nice feel-good tale of the underdog.  (An Eldrick win gives some the feel-good tale of overcoming injury and perseverance.)

John:

Stewart sunk a 25-footer for par on 16, a 3-footer for birdie on 17 (he and Lefty hit nearly identical tee shots to about three feet -- a terrific moment in recent Open history -- but Mickelson couldn't convert and Payne did), and his 15 footer on 18 for par to win.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »
Shinnecock in 2004--two elite players battling down the stretch on a great course, with some unbelievable saves by Goosen. 

To me, that beats a gimpy Tiger scratching it around with Rocco and Westwood. 

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
Isn't anyone THRILLED that we get more Open golf today?
Did it ever occur to anyone that it COULD get even better?

I feel like I just walked off #18 at Brora and the first tee is open

If I was in college or a teen-ager yes. Now I have to tape it and avoid anyone talking to me about it all day. Ridiculous that the whole tournament is on during prime time and then the playoff starts at noon.

Crazy!! I thought for all the world, they would start at 4 est. I don't get it.

Tim Bert

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
All-timers, in order

2008 (would have helped to see it end Sunday!)

Brad Klein - If a Monday finish could ever HELP an Open's standing, then this was the one.  Any movement from your perspective?  If this one doesn't get a boost from today's playoff, then it is safe to say that none ever will.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »
I would add 1950 and 1939 to any list of all-time great US Opens.  Unless of course playoffs turn you off.

Here's his last post that I saw. It was just yesterday.
What could possibly have happened since then?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »
1999 still beats yesterday in my mind.  People often forget that Tiger was in the thick of things in that one til the end too.  He made an unbelievable birdie on 16 to tie, but couldn't convert his par on 17... setting the stage for the Stewart/Mickelson duel.  In the end, you have the two greatest players of a generation (Tiger and Phil) as well as a fan favorite multiple major winner that tragically passes away months later (after his last hole Ryder Cup chilvary) on a a top-notch traditional first-time Open venue.  It will be hard to top 99 from my perspective.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
1999 still beats yesterday in my mind.  People often forget that Tiger was in the thick of things in that one til the end too.  He made an unbelievable birdie on 16 to tie, but couldn't convert his par on 17... setting the stage for the Stewart/Mickelson duel.  In the end, you have the two greatest players of a generation (Tiger and Phil) as well as a fan favorite multiple major winner that tragically passes away months later (after his last hole Ryder Cup chilvary) on a a top-notch traditional first-time Open venue.  It will be hard to top 99 from my perspective.

Not if this is the last Major Tiger ever wins.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »

Not if this is the last Major Tiger ever wins.

are you assuming he'll be assasinated?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
No, I am saying we need to sit on it a while before we compare it to a championship where the champion is dead.  I really do not know if 08 is the greatest modern championship ever and I have my reputation riding on it...I just say give it some time and we will see.  If Tiger gets his leg amputated next week because gangrene set in on Sunday morning....Then I would say it is the greatest.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
fair enough, but i wouldn't put it past tiger to win an open on one leg.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
It is official now.  The 08 US Open is the greatest in modern times if not all time.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
I don't know if it was the best ever.  Pebble Beach '82 was incrdible.  Baltusrol '80 was neck and neck the whole way.  That was David and Goliath too.  It was cdertainly the greatest playoff in history though

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »
Willis Reed, Kurt Gibson and now Tiger Woods.  Tiger has transended a game into a sport.  We can finally hold our heads high when pumping gas on an early morning day while wearing shorts and no show socks.  Today, I am proud to call my self a golfer.

PThomas

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Jay, did you forget the 1913 Open playoff??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Richard Choi

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
Jay, I doubt that we will ever see another major where the champion had a double stress fracture and had to play 91 holes to win it.

Best. Major. Ever.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
2004 was indeed a dandy.  Goosen and Phil were masterful on an unforgiving Sunday track.  

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
There have been some great US Opens that I have attended, watched on TV, or read about.  I am not going to start listing my favorite US Opens, other than to state that the US Opens of 1913 and 1964 are my two favorites to read about.

I immensely enjoyed watching and reading about this year's US Open.

There are a lot of different opinions per the 18-hole playoff format.  Both sides have expressed their views quite well per this matter.  However, even if one is generally in favor of a sudden-death or 3-4 hole playoff on Sunday, I think most will have to agree that for THIS US Open the 18-hole playoff only made THIS year's event that much better.  (Conversely I will agree quite a few 18-hole playoffs are anticlimactic.)

I recently thought that the USGA was on the verge of soon changing the US Open to a 4-hole playoff.  However, I think this year's very dramatic playoff following a very exciting US Open has extended the life of the 18-hole playoff.

One may like or dislike the 18-hole playoff format, but I think it may be round for awhile.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jay Flemma

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
Jay, did you forget the 1913 Open playoff??

No...I just threw some th8ings off the top of my head.

By the way, I never saw the 1913 Open - either on TV or in persona, but I sa yest and 1982 and '99.  I understand Monday was amazing, probly the best playoff in history...I just gave a couple examples off the top of my head.  I mean if you want to get technical, there were just as many fireworks at Medinah at '90, just not by two colorful, flamboyant guys.

PThomas

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:24 PM »
better Opens that this years, not necessarily in order:

and probably a few more
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back