News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: John Kavanaugh was RIGHT
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:05:09 AM »
This is too funny... I damn near never post here on the weekends, but I just fired up the computer with the sole and only intention of starting a thread entitled

KAVANAUGH WAS RIGHT!!!!

Best damn US Open I've watched since 1982, I think...

Anyway, could you ask for more drama?

13... calls for a dramatic choice plus great execution....

14 at 267.... good lord, how cool was that?

18 shortened....

Great call, John. 

TH

The weekend got electric...the first two days were bland, but the saturday magic hour was something and then the grinding down the stretch was outstanding.  Just enough cushion form the golf course so guys could rise or fade, not merely percolate downwards and last man standing after 72 holes wins.

Michael Campbell comes to mind.

Steve Kline

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:50 AM »
So , the whole tournament is on in prime time (and I had to merely listen to the final round on XM) and then I find out the playoff today starts at noon eastern? WTF? That is the worst planning/mistake/screw up/buzz kill I've ever seen. The ratings for some of those made for TV Tiger show downs were good in prime time. What do you think this would have been in prime time? Absolutely horrible on the USGA and NBC's part.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »
This years US Open has been far more enjoyable then the last 4 Masters which is very odd to say.  Props to Mike Davis and the USGA for creating an exciting tournament to watch despite being contested on a very average course.

tlavin

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 07:39:22 AM »
JK was right but once again, the drama was courtesy of one Tiger Woods.  Mike Davis did a great job on setup and maintenance and we had a nice four day story in Lazarus (Rocco) coming back from the dead to challenge Tiger, but without Tiger, it would not have been nearly as exciting.  It was Tiger who struggled mightily with his knee and with his game on his first nines on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  It was Tiger who made the dramatic eagle putts and who knocked in the chip shot.  Torrey?  It was Torrey that allowed Tiger to tie the championship with a birdie on a cheesy par 5 finisher and it was Rocco that allowed it to happen by making a commercial, three-shot par at 18.  Did I love it?  You betcha.  But I loved it because of Tiger, not Torrey.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »
This years US Open has been far more enjoyable then the last 4 Masters which is very odd to say.  Props to Mike Davis and the USGA for creating an exciting tournament to watch despite being contested on a very average course.

Did you enjoy it more than the 2005 Masters?  Tiger making all those birdies in the third round...shooting 66-65...holing the impossible chip shot on 16...bogeying the last two to fall into a tie with DiMarco (who nearly holed his own chip shot on the 72nd to win outright)...birdieing the 1st playoff hole with three perfect shots.   

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 08:29:45 AM »
I for one would like to see Mike Davis set up ANGC for the Masters.  I wonder if he'd lose the "second cut"?

I too was wrong - this event has been a complete success.

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »
Have the US Open and the Masters changed places?

There were more roars Saturday at the open than the last two years' worth of Sundays at Augusta.

(Non-scientific count, of course)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »
Have the US Open and the Masters changed places?

There were more roars Saturday at the open than the last two years' worth of Sundays at Augusta.

(Non-scientific count, of course)

Why do you think I was calling it the Masters in June as early as Thursday?  For you guys who read, let me know if any of these guys who get paid to write about golf steal any of my lines.

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
THIS has been an amazingly exciting Open.  The play, the setup, the players, AND the course have all been fabulous.

John called it.

Bart

I don't agree. If Tiger's healthy, this is a boring blowout. Tiger provided the drama, not the setup or the course. Neither of those has been bad - both have been pretty solid - but neither has contributed much to the level of play.

John's actually right about a lot of things, this just isn't one of them.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »
George:

John said this would be one of the most exciting US Opens ever.

You have to admit on this he was correct.

As for the whys and what fors, debate away.  But he was right.

TH

ps - you know defending him is not easy for me given how he tends to treat me... but when one is right, one is right. 

pss - what I disagree with is your statement that he's right about a lot of things!  I'd say his batting average is about that of a fine middle infielder. 

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
I don't recall exactly what John said. If he simply said this would be one of the most exciting ever, I would say he was right. I thought both John and Bart implied it was due in large part to the course, which is what I disagree with.

The only way the course contributed is that I don't see Tiger coming off a long layoff, injured as badly as he clearly is, and playing as well at Oakmont, Winged Foot, Shinney, etc.

Re: pss - fine middle infielders still get plenty of hits. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »
I don't recall exactly what John said. If he simply said this would be one of the most exciting ever, I would say he was right. I thought both John and Bart implied it was due in large part to the course, which is what I disagree with.

The only way the course contributed is that I don't see Tiger coming off a long layoff, injured as badly as he clearly is, and playing as well at Oakmont, Winged Foot, Shinney, etc.

Re: pss - fine middle infielders still get plenty of hits. :)

As does Kavanaugh.  How about we leave it at he's wrong about more things?

In any case he was and is right about this.

TH

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
Wasn't it Wong?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
This is the earliest Kavanaugh quote I can find from May 15, 2008...

"I'm surprised that Torrey is being sold as the first muni to host an Open.  Seems like a stretch even if true.  I'm predicting this will be the greatest US Open in modern times and would like to hear other predictions about where the course will shine and/or fail.  I can't wait.  Any reports from those who have recently visited would also be appreciated.

A link to an article written by the excellent golf writer Heather Wood..  http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=4185"

Later that same day Kavanaugh stated..

"I'm seeing Woods blowing out his knee and doing a Hogan like limp into victory.  While the 18th may be ugly it does produce some fine theater."

This can be verified on the following thread: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34554.0.html

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
JK:  whoa.  OK, ye are a fine prognosticator.  And anyone who wants to argue that, well... it's just sour grapes.

TH

Bart Bradley

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »
This is the earliest Kavanaugh quote I can find from May 15, 2008...

"I'm surprised that Torrey is being sold as the first muni to host an Open.  Seems like a stretch even if true.  I'm predicting this will be the greatest US Open in modern times and would like to hear other predictions about where the course will shine and/or fail.  I can't wait.  Any reports from those who have recently visited would also be appreciated.

A link to an article written by the excellent golf writer Heather Wood..  http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=4185"

Later that same day Kavanaugh stated..

"I'm seeing Woods blowing out his knee and doing a Hogan like limp into victory.  While the 18th may be ugly it does produce some fine theater."

This can be verified on the following thread: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34554.0.html

Hey John:

this is the thread that I said you were right...you don't need to come to your own defense.  You were right...taking everything into account:  Tiger's injury, the location, the prime time, the course, the players...IT WAS GREAT, just as you said it would be.

It doesn't really matter whether you are right about other things...this time anyway, you hit it on the head.

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
George:

I did imply that the course under the circumstances of the day contributed to an excellent Open.  There were eagles/birdies/bogies/nines...and we ended up with -1 to a playoff.  What more do you want a course to provide in Open drama.  I didn't say it was the best course design ever, I didn't say I'm rushing out to play it, I didn't say we should design other courses like it...but in 2008, Torrey held a tremendous Open --it would be hard to deny.

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »
I will freely admit that we need an exciting day today for this US Open to beat out 99.  I will say that the statue of Payne Stewart at Pinehurst is a moving tribute to a great guy.  I really can't see a statue of Tiger doing his double fisted, am I carrying a log or pinching one, mouth wide open scream being as fitting a tribute to a great champion.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
I will freely admit that we need an exciting day today for this US Open to beat out 99.  I will say that the statue of Payne Stewart at Pinehurst is a moving tribute to a great guy.  I really can't see a statue of Tiger doing his double fisted, am I carrying a log or pinching one, mouth wide open scream being as fitting a tribute to a great champion.

How about a statue of him wincing and doubling over after a hard tee shot?

You're right also though - a rout either way today keeps this short of 1999 and perhaps a few others.  But I'd say it won't go too far down the list no matter what happens today.  If it's a rout, it becomes an asterisk.  If it's close, it adds to the legend.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »
...but in 2008, Torrey held a tremendous Open --it would be hard to deny.

Bart

Yep, can't deny that at all. And in 2000 Valhalla held a tremendous PGA.

JK -

Nice predictions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:53:07 AM by George Pazin »

tlavin

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:36 AM »

Especially when the mouth is screaming (as he did yesterday to Stevie), "Fuck Yes!"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
...but in 2008, Torrey held a tremendous Open --it would be hard to deny.

Bart

Yeo, can't deny that at all. And in 2000 Valhalla held a tremendous PGA.

JK -

Nice predictions.

I have also played Valhalla and think it is a fantastic course.  Whats wrong, did you read somewhere that it isn't?

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
Nope.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
I much preferred the Open at Shinne a couple years back, to tell ya the truth.

Just because Tiger won doesn't mean it's the greatest tournament ever!   
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 05:55:03 PM »
I much preferred the Open at Shinne a couple years back, to tell ya the truth.

Just because Tiger won doesn't mean it's the greatest tournament ever!   

I probably preferred that US Open myself.  It didn't shut down my life for close to 40 hours.  This is the first time since 86 I really cared about watching golf and that only lasted 2 hrs.  I'm too exhausted to leave work and get a drink at the club because if I see one more golf shot I'm gonna puke.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back