News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

This just in.......
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »
This U.S. Open is......OVER!!!!!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Kelly

Re: This just in.......
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
Unless they have to amputate Tiger's leg overnight. Which if you listen to Dan Hicks could be a possibility.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
So far, the difference between this year's U.S. Open and the last two Opens at Winged Foot and Oakmont is that this year's tournament is defined by what the players have done, not what they failed to do.  More positive vibes.

Does anyone deny this has been an excellent tournament?  The players have room to play; they hit the fairway a reasonable percentage of the time.  The leading score is 210, which would be even par at a par 70 course.  This has been less painful and more fun.  Of course, Tiger produced some magic today.  I don't think a Tiger win is a lock.  I'm going to watch tomorrow and see.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
John K - agreed.

David K - that was funny!

Peter

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Amazing.  Any other words are superfluous, and redundant. Over? No.
Over.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
When you think the guy is beyond shock and awe...he consistently delivers.

What an amazing, amazing golfer.   

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:42:30 PM »
I don't know about you guys but tonight I'm going to bed feeling like it's Christmas eve. 

Tiger Claus is Comin' to Town!

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
He is a combination of the talent and killer instinct of Jack Nicklaus with the flair and crowd appeal of Arnold Palmer.

If Tiger, Lee, Rocco or Geoff win tomorrow I'll be happy.  I was the official with Westwood during the third round last year at Oakmont and of the 10 guys I was with that week, he definitely had the best personality and sense of humour.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
You know, this really reminds me of the stories you hear of Hogan winning Opens with bad legs and hobbling around the golf course. Just grit and determination. Win or lose, this is one of the better performances I have seen.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
You get the American's and I'll take the Furriner's...8 to 11 your favor in the top 19!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 11:24:20 PM »

Having just read Hogan's biography, I was thinking of him too. I think Ben had the worse affliction, but Tiger has the flair.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »
"You get the American's and I'll take the Furriner's...8 to 11 your favor in the top 19!"

Sully:

Can I have some of your action? Do you know how crazy we are but I'm a contrarian and I just can't see how this magical mystery tour can go on forever. It would not surprise me to see a doctor on the course tomorrow. There is some Decision in the book somewhere that addresses a situation like an on-course injury.

Woods' last remark to Maltbie killed me. What a sense of humor.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
I've just finished hitting my left knee repeatedly with a baseball bat.  The damn thing really hurts, but I am VERY excited about my round with my regular Sunday group tomorrow afternoon!

Other worldly...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JESII

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:52 PM »
Tommy,

You can have all of it...I just hope there is some.

By the way...I'll be rooting like hell for Tiger, I just see his "winning majors only from the front" streak ending in the wrong way. He'll win one from behind soon enough, but I can't see him winning tomorrow.

My money is on "The Mechanic"!

John Moore II

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:50:04 PM »

Having just read Hogan's biography, I was thinking of him too. I think Ben had the worse affliction, but Tiger has the flair.
--I wasn't as much trying to say the injury was as bad, not nearly so. Just that its rare that a player comes back like that, quite visibly in pain, and can compete in and possibly win a US Open, incredible.
-Does your Hogan bio have any of the John Derr interviews in it??

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
...-Does your Hogan bio have any of the John Derr interviews in it??

Nope.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JohnV

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 11:54:31 PM »

There is some Decision in the book somewhere that addresses a situation like an on-course injury.

Woods' last remark to Maltbie killed me. What a sense of humor.

6-8a/3  Discontinuing Play Due to Physical Problem

Q. During a round, a player is incapacitated by heat exhaustion, a bee sting or because he has been struck by a golf ball. The player reports his problem to the Committee and requests the Committee to allow him some time to recuperate. Should the Committee comply with the request?

A. The matter is up to the Committee. Rule 6-8a(iv) permits a player to discontinue play because of sudden illness and the player incurs no penalty if he reports to the Committee as soon as practicable and the Committee considers his reason satisfactory. It would seem reasonable for a Committee to allow a player 10 or 15 minutes to recuperate from such a physical problem but ordinarily allowing more time than that would be inadvisable.

Remember that Phil had a therapist working on his wrist last year.

At the 1997 US Women's Open a player in the last group on Friday had to stop because of heart problems that required her medication to be brought from the locker.  The other two continued on and, after about 15 minutes, she followed with the official as her marker until she got caught back up.

Agreed on the comment to Maltbie, just dry enough.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
My money is on Westwood. The pace he's had on his putts every time I've seen him is phenomenal, the best in the field by far.

And I think his mental make-up will be ideal for the heat of US Open Sunday. There is no chance at all that man will freak out or let anything get to his head. I swear to God, you look into that man's eyes and you get the distinct feeling there's nothing back there---nothing at all---and tomorrow that will serve him well and bring him a US Open victory.

JohnV

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »
Last year I was the official with Westwood during the third round at Oakmont.  The hole location on #3 was front right.  Lee hit his second shot about 20 feet past and left of the hole.  He left his first putt about 3 feet short.  After grinding over it, he made it.  I'm sure he was afraid he could run either putt off the green if he wasn't careful.

When we got to the 4th tee, he walked up to me and said, "I'm sending my psychiatric bills to the USGA!", laughed and got on with it. ;)

JESII

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
My money is on Westwood. The pace he's had on his putts every time I've seen him is phenomenal, the best in the field by far.

And I think his mental make-up will be ideal for the heat of US Open Sunday. There is no chance at all that man will freak out or let anything get to his head. I swear to God, you look into that man's eyes and you get the distinct feeling there's nothing back there---nothing at all---and tomorrow that will serve him well and bring him a US Open victory.

As you and I both know...his putting pace may go to crap overnight, but he surely cannot fill his head with anything of any material, can he?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »

If so, Mark Pearce wins Matt Cohn's contest hands down.

Sully -- why do you think Tiger won't win? 

Kirk Gill

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 12:16:59 AM »
One thing I love about the U.S. Open is that since it's on Father's day weekend, my kids like to hang out and watch it with me. They were just blown away by Tiger, that huge putt, overcoming the pain, and they enjoyed watching Phil on the 13th. So amazing, so much fun, all of it.

My wish for father's day?

Wind !!!
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

JESII

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »

If so, Mark Pearce wins Matt Cohn's contest hands down.

Sully -- why do you think Tiger won't win? 

Jim,

Just a hunch!

I wouldn't put to many zero's on any bet against him.

David Kelly

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 12:24:46 AM »

Really? You think getting hit head on by a bus is worse than arthoscopic knee surgery?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »

Really? You think getting hit head on by a bus is worse than arthoscopic knee surgery?

I'm not sure I get the intented tone of your questions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back