News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: John Kavanaugh was RIGHT
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
I much preferred the Open at Shinne a couple years back, to tell ya the truth.

Just because Tiger won doesn't mean it's the greatest tournament ever!   

I probably preferred that US Open myself.  It didn't shut down my life for close to 40 hours.  This is the first time since 86 I really cared about watching golf and that only lasted 2 hrs.  I'm too exhausted to leave work and get a drink at the club because if I see one more golf shot I'm gonna puke.

Interesting how different folks perspectives are. This was one of the few Opens in recent memory where I only saw a handful of holes and felt like I didn't miss anything. Of course, I was fortunate that that handful of holes included Tiger's Saturday back nine from 12 on and Sunday's back nine from 13 on.

I will say, I absolutely love the way the coastal holes stand against the ocean. Very cool, I don't know how the folks who say they don't remember holes don't remember those holes.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »
Me defending the greatness of this tournament would be like Brad Klein defending why he thinks I am a boor.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
If anyone can say this was not great theater must be jaded indeed.

The USGA, the Torrey Pines staff, the contestants, the spectators and of course, Woods and Mediate, gave us one for the ages. Frankly, in my opinion,  Pinehurst doesn't come close.

Bob

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
What a splendid Open. Kudos to Mike Davis for the set-up. I'd guess a good bunch of players will play the 14th from 267 from now on, just to see what it's like. That, and Davis' other ideas, really dressed the set perfectly. Tiger and Rocco made it memorable. And who's ever seen that many people on a golf course on a Monday (aside from an Augusta practice round). Sensational! And you know the USGA will be back. Even if it was a dull rout, there are 50 million reasons to return!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Michael Dugger

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
If anyone can say this was not great theater must be jaded indeed.

The USGA, the Torrey Pines staff, the contestants, the spectators and of course, Woods and Mediate, gave us one for the ages. Frankly, in my opinion,  Pinehurst doesn't come close.

Bob

Interesting what makes a tournament great for one person may not for another.

I thought the Open at Pinehurst in '99, the one where Stewart won, was one of the greatest I've ever watched.

Tiger and Phil both lurking until the very end.

Stewart shows us how a smart and gifted player deals with U.S. Open rough. 

Miss the fairway?  Well, chop it back in, hit it up and drop a putt. 

I thought that was EPIC drama.  This weekend was pretty good too, but nothing about it was that much more amazing.

Amazing is Watson holing that chip in '82...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Bert

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
Interesting how different opinions vary for sure.  What's amazing is that Watson holing the chip is amazing, but Tiger chipping in on 17 plus making 100 feet of eagle putts in the same round isn't amazing.

I wanted Rocco to win badly today, but even my US Open playoff hating self can't deny this as one for all-time.

I wanted Kavanaugh to be wrong just to see what kind of garbage he would come up with to defend his ridiculous proclomation.  The fact that he doesn't need to say a word speaks volumes at this point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back